Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Solarforce T2 Build w/M462 @2.1W (Pic Heavy)

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
SOLARFORCE T2

A 462nm Build w/M462

ULqnrYP.jpg

Hey guys, I found this nice looking Solarforce T2 flashlight while looking through the Solarforce site. It looked like it was just begging to have that old LED removed and replaced with a respectable coherant light source. :)
It happened to be on sale for $21.99, which isn't too bad for a fairly high quality Solarforce light that includs a solid, thick body, with smooth square cut threads, and a great looking brushed stainless steel head that provides a cool looking accent to the type III black annodizing.
Solarforce calls this T2 unit a "pen", but even though it comes with a pocket clip, at 24mm in diameter at the front, it's twice as large as most units that I'd call pens.
It was originally made to be powered by 2 AA batteries, but it's now being powered with 2 14500 cells.

About the only downside I see to this host, is that the tail cap is not removable, it's an integral part of the battery tube, which requires the batteries to be installed from the front.

The reason that I chose the M462 diode rather than the more popular NDB7675, was that I already have a 7675 build which outputs 466nm, and I needed to add the 462nm to my wavelengths. :)

Components Used For This Build:

• Solarforce T2 Flashlight.
  • M462 Diode/Module set at 1.8A (DTR).
  • Black Extended Aluminum Focus Adapter (Survival Laser).
  • Custom Copper Heatsink.
  • Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive, & Compound.
  • (2) 14500 li-ion button top batteries.

Dimensions & Weight:

• Length = 150.2mm
  • Diameter = 24mm Head, 19mm Barrel, 23mm Tail
  • Weight = 160g

Measured Power Output:

• 3 Element glass lens = 1.62W.
  • G-2 Lens = 2.1W.

I have to add that IMO, this laser host looks a bit like a mini lightsaber, and it's a Solarforce product, so ....."Let the SolarForce be with you". :crackup:

Here are some in process, & beamshot photos for your enjoyment. :D

txzXy1D.jpg

2myiUqG.jpg

View of quality threads, thick wall, heavy duty construction, & O-ring sealing.
69lud27.jpg

Tailcap and recessed push button.
JAArtLG.jpg

As always, clearly note your battery orientation.
gWlZxQO.jpg

Copper heatsink being turned in lathe.
DkDdq6l.jpg

5eNeYUV.jpg

Battery contact boards, (left) - The one used in my build, (right) - Original Solarforce board with a recessed contact so that only the small dia. primary cell type batteries will work.
A pretty good idea!
SLIV2Wb.jpg

Battery contact board pressed into place.
b3ypJdL.jpg

Small copper heatsink attached to driver; every little bit helps.
MlB3XRo.jpg

r5FVhnX.jpg

T7st9JA.jpg

In this photo you can see where I removed the "attack" crenelations from the front of the crown piece.
I think it looks much nicer without them, especially when the crown is not at the front of the laser or flashlight.
You can also see the added 1.5mm wide copper accent ring that matches the copper heatsink.
XOGb7iq.jpg

That's enough of the assembly photos, time for some blue photons! :wave:

LBS7QB5.jpg

The "Ice Cold" blue beam.
8GuuIK3.jpg

The "Moody Blues".
vs3l7Aw.jpg

Focused beam at about 4" from the lens.
9i8aHpe.jpg

Evening beam shot, just before dark.
36x7KKf.jpg

Beamshot going past house, and seemingly changing color.
qIn6Izo.jpg

Beamshot into backyard trees, with a back light from spotlight that allows camera to pick up an accurate beam color of this wavelength.
Notice that the previous beams all look more violet than this last shot.
yUngLSc.jpg

That's all for today guys, thanks a lot for looking! :beer:

Last edited:

Really awesome! I enjoyed the read and the pictures, especially the close-ups. My next laser project is going to be a M462 diode, I think they're really cool almost like a mini 07E. Does it give off much heat?

Great build and write up!! I really like the look of the host by itself, then you added the copper heatsink and DAM, she's a real beauty! Great choice on the m462, I personally love everything about mine! I'd rep ya but looks like i'm all outta love for today :(

BobMc

Wow, that's one good looking host/build, she's a beauty! Love the step by step. Another gem for you collection!! (I think host is exceptionally nice)

Jhop

Very nice build ! Looks to be pretty high quality. Nice and solid

GSS

Its just so perfect:) Host choice..Custom sink..Build..Diode WL.. Picture setiings..:beer::beer:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
@ Antharak, Thank you sir, I love copper too!

@ EP and CaliKirk, glad you guys liked the pics and write up. I like this M462 also, it just doesn't seem to get any love, especially with the higher wavelength blues out there.
To answer your question EP, it does get warm, but not too very fast, I've had it on for up to ~ 1.5 - 2 mins. I hesitate to leave it on too much longer than that.

@ BobMc, Jhop, and my good buddy GSS, thanks so much for your kind words. This is a very solid feeling build that turned out better than I had anticipated.

Bowtieguy- The m462 really doesn't get too much attention at all but it seems that every person with one has great things to say about them. I love my m140 because it has better beam specs than my other 2w+ lasers and it's great that the m462 is identical to it and with the WL being such a pretty blue, you really cant go wrong!

That's a nice clean build. :gj:

I have thought about that m-462 diode, I even have a ndb7875 that's freakishly low frequency, next to a nubm44 it looks lighter/brighter colored.

The 462 is also one of those diodes that's in the best of the MM divergence zone, the compact sleek build looks good on it, and the copper is always nice.

Wonderful build and a great write-up Jeff !
Very nice indeed and I love the photos too.
Thank you for sharing this.

RB

:wave:

Hi BTG,
Well you out did yourself again buddy , outstanding work as usual vert impressive my man . What more can i say speechless. Awesome as always.
+ REP..

Rich:)

Great build and furthermore excellent photography. The custom copper work is a solid modification.
I wish I had a lathe.

Last edited:

Pman

Beautiful extremely clean build. What I mean is its a Bow build:) Gotta love that beautiful shiny copper. Need a copper wavelength next;)

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks for your great replies guys, they're much appreciated! :D

@ Cali - I totally agree.
@Red - Thanks, you're right, the divergance doesn't seem near as bad as some of the other MM's.
@ - RB, and DwU, glad you guys liked the pics, although they're nothing like yours RB. :)
@ - Lifetime and Pete, thanks, glad you liked the build; supportive comments from other builders are always appreciated!
@ - thanhtung, thanks, I really like your new build also.