Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Solarforce L2E Build w/M462 (Pic Heavy)

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Hi CD, you're not hijacking, I think we all like these discusions of variables and options; these questions get us thinking of what we could do with our next builds! (y):D

Good.....For I am truly inspired to imitate this 90 Degree Ergonomic design....But....as usual...." I WANT IT ALL " !!!! Greedy Bastard !!!!

ANYONE....comments on using a G2 ...in front of a G-Ball style LD.....What does it produce ???? What is the Farfield geometry on the NUBM07 ????

Rectangle....Bar.....Large Bar....Stupid wide Bar ?????? THANX !!!! CDBEAM

Added Note....Might even consider the G3....a little clipping.....some Power loss....but….NO C-lenses to make the EDC....well...TOO big of an EDC !!

I have tested using a backward G2 then a forward G2 in front of an intact GBall diode and it seems to work well, there is additional loss but the beam looked normal and the spot was the usual size sharp little line/rectangle seen at 5 feet, however I have not done any extensive testing, give it a try and see, I use 12mm brass couplers made by Rich.

I kind of gave up on the G3 as it does clip. It is unavoidable as the input aperture is too small for the distance it needs to be from the diode.

The G3 is worth using in many cases, you know the 3 element clips and knocks off 30% of your power but it also makes a very shadowed spot as seen at night through laser safety glasses when burning with the 3X beam expander at distance, this makes the single aspheric G3 a better choice pre beam expander in this case, but there are many times where one lens may be better suited than another, the more we have in our arsenal the better.

Last edited:
I would like the G3 more if the input aperture was larger. It is very small considering this lens has an 8 mm FL.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Red, that's what I found when testing the output on this M465 diode; the output power of the 3 element (3E) and the G-3 were very similar, with the G-3 slightly outperforming the 3E.
I also prefered the dot produced by the G-3 vs the 3E, although there isn't a lot of difference IMO.

I agree, the more we have to choose from in our arsenal, the better. :)

Edit: I agree Paul, a larger aperture would be an improvement.

Last edited:
It's been awhile, but even Jordan said its FL is 8 mm. That was my initial guess when I got mine. Then he confirmed it, IIRC.

Hmmmm….If the End game/goal...is to....build a;

1. Small as possible single diode unit, likely without C-lens correction.
  2. Single 18650 driven
  3. As powerful as possible
  4. Minimal astigmatic Farfield beam geometry ( No bar.....close to a rectangle.....say at 20 Meters)
  5. Host to be a 90 Degree style.
  6. I/O thumb switch located opposite the head output.

What are our options ???
CDBEAM'S suggestion...
Solarforce Host
Host modified with rear thumb switch
NUBM07 ( Ball intact ) Raw power 5.5W @ 465nm
Two collimation lenses/back to back...G2 forward facing, G3 rear facing
Possible Worsee new Boost driver for 4.2 VDC operations ( If it is available yet !)

SO....Yes we will clip...and loose 25% power doing so....still delivers 4.125W out the front door !!!
Beam will be decent....due the clipping action.....no C-lens demanded....as to keep the build size down.

Our choices will always be a connection/collection of compromises.....So it goes !!!

ANYONE....Try a NUBM07....coupled to a Rear facing G2....and a Forward facing G3 ??????????????
Farfield at 20M ???????????????????

Comm'on!!! I need another project....Heaped atop the pile !!!....Like I don't have enough !!!

Thanx....CDBEAM !!!!!!

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Hey CD, I've been searching around a little bit this morning, and I think we may have a problem in getting you a Solarforce L2E flashlight body, that's how I bought mine, as a flashlight body only. 😢

I've checked with the Solarforce site, and they don't show them anymore, I've sent them a message to see if by some chance they may still have some available; I'll post back as soon as they reply.

In my searches, I did come across one site that still sells them, and shows them as "in stock", it is "Customlights.com", although they are much more expensive there than directly from Solarforce.

Hopefully you won't need to go to a "Plan B", and start searching for an alternate host.

Thanx BT..... Why don't you just sell me your build ;););) ??? Thank you for your help !!!!!

Looks as though....this build will take some time to gather the bits !!! Typical !!
Time I have available !! Hopefully...Solarforce will have a few units left....if not....Plan B !! $45 from the other guy....JUST for the body....MMMmmmm….a bit expensive !!

I wish some members would comment on my proposed logic concerning using the NUBM07 as the engine !!
HINT :oops::oops::oops: !!!!

I would speculate....that everyone needs a good EDC.....which is quite the opposite of my usual Big Honk'in Nut Cracker complicated builds !!

CDBEAM

very cool Jeff! one question, I always see people when they post pics like you have done but I cant figure out how to post them where they automatically show up as big pictures instead of the boxes you have to click on. how do I do that? do I have to do the 3rd party thing still? thanks buddy

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks, glad you liked it! :)

The pics that I posted here in this thread were done using Imgur, which is a 3rd party, I don't know if I have to use them since we changed over, but I have still been doing it that way.
I usually take the pics with my phone, and resize them to 800 x 600 with Photoshop express on my phone, and then share them with Imgur.

I have been using Imgur too. I don't resize my photos before loading them to Imgur, but use the large thumbnail size on the app before posting them.

HMMMMM...Perhaps....the new DTR G8 lens will really come in handy on my EDC unit ???????

Beam correction = 3 element.....Power output of a G2 !!!!!! PERFECT....
SO...Either a NUBM07 True Blue...or a NDG7475 Christmas Green...Dunno….Depends is a boost 5W driver is available....then...I may get my 465nm line.

Later....Beam Out