Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Solarforce L2E Build w/M462 (Pic Heavy)

LaserRanger

Awesome build BTG. I have been wanting to do the same but with a smaller flashlight in the headlamp style with a single 18650 but it's a tough one to do in that shape lol

Beautiful unique build! As Paul mentioned, that's a lot of output for an M462. Like, the most I've ever seen.. from any MXXX laser! You might want to check with an ammeter that your driver is actually sending 1.8A to that diode; even if it was sending 2.2A or more it shouldn't be able to make that much output.. awesome:D I really love the color of the M462, perhaps more than the color of NUBM07. I think it's the intensity of the blue, as Redcowboy noticed. Above much over 462nm through around the mid 470's, though beautiful, that range of blue to me seems to lose the appearance of it's depth of saturation. I'd be interested to see what yours would spectro at, as often higher output/effeciency diodes tend to be lower in wavelength for a given model.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
@LaserRanger - Glad you liked the build, I'd like to see you do a build in one of the smaller size headlamp lights. :)

@aaronnoraa - I appreciate your comments, and I definitely agree that the output is extremely high for a M462 diode, my driver was set at 1.8A originally, but it may have changed, I haven't taken it apart to re-check the output on a test load.
I thought that one of my other M462 builds -Here-, had a fairly robust output, but it was only at 1.62W w/3 element lens, and at 2.1W w/G-2 lens.
You bring up a good point, it would be very interesting to see what this guy would spectro at.

@aaronnoraa -
I thought that one of my other M462 builds -Here-, had a fairly robust output, but it was only at 1.62W w/3 element lens, and at 2.1W w/G-2 lens.
You bring up a good point, it would be very interesting to see what this guy would spectro at.

Do you still have that older (or any other) M462 build(s) that you can compare the color with?

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I do, actually, maybe tomorrow or this weekend I'll find it and take a few side by side photos. Good idea, thanks!

LaserRanger

I have an empty host like that from a cheap ebay headlamp I bought but was dead on arrival, still don't know how I'll manage but I'm getting lots of practice with these AAA flashlights I keep modding into lasers 😎👍

Just saw this....Beautiful !!!!!!!...Very unusual, unique.....Clean......I will use this to inspire me for ergonomics !!!!!....This geometry is something I have not considered.....Hmmmm....I am looking to build a new EDC.....One colour.....and the 465/462 line is beautiful......Hmmmm….Just add this to the list.....Hmmmmm….. ???? THANK YOU for the inspiration....and sharing !!!
CDBEAM

Added Note....This M462 LD....is that the one DTR is out of ????? Of course...being the PO Hog I am...I want 2W.....driven with ONE (1) 18650...Crap...Crap !!! It is never easy !!!! But the divergence on this seems very acceptable....no corrective optics needed !!!! Fine with me !!!

Anyone have thoughts on 1) Where to buy a M462 LD....and..
2) A boost driver for use with one (1) 18650 cell.....IIRC.....Worsee is working on one.....
As usual....I want it all !!!!

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Thank you CD, I appreciate your kind words; and yes, I think this is the one that DTR is out of at his store.
I did get this from DTR, but it was from a sale he was having on Amazon a while ago, unfortunately I don't know where to get any more, unless some of our generous members may be willing to part with one. ;);)

I totally agree with you, the 462/465 is a beautiful wavelength, and I hope we will be able to obtain more of these in the future!

I luv seeing others....Push the envelope with corrective optics, novel hosts or combiner designs !! The more builds with these attributes....the more builds that will be forthcoming !!
Hey...is this LD the Nichia NDB7675 ????….

Sometime in 2019....I will attempt to imitate your build. BUT...I want minimum
  1. 1.8W out the front door.
  2. A single 18650 cell to run the driver.
  3. A rear facing thumb switch.
Any suggestions would be MOST welcome !!!
The more I think on this host geometry.....the more I am determined to build one.
As is well known....I do go for "Out of the Ordinary" !!!

Thanx again,
CDBEAM

I have been wanting to do a triple beam, which I have done before, but with adjustment so each beam can be trued so they all converge far field.

I was thinking about a gooseneck flashlight with 3 modules that fit into a front plate and have a back plate with oversized holes and set screws at 2, 6, and 10 O-clock to adjust each beam, maybe use 20mm modules for heat sinking, but this is just a rough concept, a 3 gate flat wall holder would give better heat sinking, built like a gear puller of sorts.

Pivot screws at the green lines, rotate at red screws/lines
So it's basically 3 U brackets that attach to a triangle so they all rotate and tilt for full X-Y adjustment.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
CD, I' m not sure if this is the Nichia NDB7675, but I imagine a Jordan would know for sure, -Here- is where I picked this one up, it's on his Amazon site.

I agree, I would really liked to have had a rear switch on this guy, I think it would have a much more "normal" or intuitive feel to it.

@RCB - Looks like a good idea, it reminds me of a revolver. :)

Yes a thumb switch would feel good, I put a pistol grip on a square box build one time with a thumb button and it felt good in hand, like a 1911.

I cant find that box build but here's a really old m-140 build in a slab, not pretty but the thumb button felt good.

Last edited:
The NDB7675 is a TO-5 case diode and the M462 is a TO-18 case diode. So, no, they are not the same.
Crap !!…..I wanna imitate the RC Solar force build.....but ….somehow....upgraded/changed to a single 4.2 VDC single cell package.....Anybody wanna sell a M462 ??????…..I promise....I will only drive the Shit outa it !!! 🧨🧨🧨 CDBEAM

Thanx anyway Paul.....Perhaps someone else will pop up …..I am in no hurry !!! ..I have many other projects to do !!!

Hmmmmmm.....RCB.....A Tri Head.....63546

Like this Martian camera.....from the movie...." War of the Worlds"

Everything new….is OLD !!!.....How sage !!!

Bob

Last edited: