Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Smallest Laser?

Hi,
Im hoping someone could help me out. Im looking for a small or micro red laser. Its actually for a model Im building of X-Wing Fighter therefore Im looking for the smallest possible. Maybe someone knows of a particularly small Laser pointer that I could take apart and fit

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thx

Duzy
Thanks for the reply

Its only for effect purpose preferably a beam but I dont actually know how is gonna work out maybe alot of work for not much results. Im hoping that an LED programable flasher unit will work for powering it. I see no reason why not as long its correct voltage

Any ideas anyone?

The link lasersbee posted will not produce a beam. The dot will be visible on the surface that it hits, unless you have some very thick smoke. You'll either need green, or a fairly high-power red and for either of those you'll need to consider heatsinking and safety... so, yeah, you're probably best off with that module. But, like I said, you'll see the beam if you pass it through thick smoke.

Keep us updated. Upload some pictures. What you're making sounds like fun :D

Last edited:
Gent,
Thanks for both your comments

What would be the minimum size red laser I would need to be able to see it without too much smoke? Or like you say if green is better, again what size?

I hope you dont mind me asking but Im not a laser hobbyist nor am I likely to be. But as with any hobby it takes an awful lot of time to gain knowledge therefore I thought this fourm would be the place to ask.
Like I said before the whole project may well fall flat but I thought it worth a try as the whole cockpit etc I will be fitting out with LED's attached to fiber optics via various flasher units as many people do but I have yet to see anyone use lasers for the cannons, only LED's which IMO just look like a cheap toy.

Im return if it does work I will definitely post pic & descriptions etc on this forum for anyone else wanting to do same thing.

Thanks

You might be able to cheat a little bit on size of the laser module if you can scoot the laser back into the gun where it's bigger, instead of having it on the tip of the gun.

x-wing.jpg

Last edited:
Or you could maybe stick them in the fuselage and run fiber optics to the cannon tips. I've never played with fiber ops and lasers, so I'm not sure if it would work.

Give us some pictures!

It's possible, if everything is the right size, you could buy a couple of laser modules and just use the cylinder of the laser housing as the cylinder of the gun.

Ablaze

AND half the power :p

I don't think that 2mw red lasers would be visible in daylight, unless they were shining directly at your eye.