Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Small-smaller-smallest drivers?

I recently had a crazy idea!!! I have a smokeless cigarette that has a mini driver and red led that turns on when you inhale" that was a cool feature to help improve smokers to quit". This smokeless cigarette is the same size as a Marlboro red. I would like to find a driver the same size as the one inside of it. I would also like to know what diodes could run off of this driver..............................
5f6d9c045e044daf57029e78ef71e991.pnghttp:

Last edited:

rhd

rhd

Side note - does anyone know the lithium ion equivalent of a AAAA ?
AAAA battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's 8.3mm x 42.5, so I would have thought 8425 would be the li-ion version in that form factor, but it's not. Either the .3 needs to be factored into the naming convention, or there just isn't a li-ion equivalent.

What battery does that electronic cigarette use ?

Igor makes the smallest driver I have ever seen, good luck let us know if you find something promising.

rhd

Igor makes the smallest driver I have ever seen, good luck let us know if you find something promising.

Does Igor = Dr Lava?

If so, the AK-007 with the modes removed (2nd PCB removed) is smaller than a flexdrive.

The AK-007 measures 11mm in diameter, and is circular. That's about 95 square mm.
The flexdrive is 9x12, which is 108 square mm. So it's a tad bigger. Plus it's a rectangle, so those square mm aren't quite as convenient in circular hosts ;)

The AK-007 is $3. Not a bad price - worth playing around with.

Looking back at the thread I pointed you to, the AK-007 isn't actually the driver I used for that build, but it looks virtually identical. There's a separate thread about the AK-007. I've gotten 1W out of a 445 built with it. Not bad for $3. Add a ceramic cap to the output, and you've got a really trustworthy driver in my opinion. Some may disagree, but I've been really impressed by LED drivers.

Last edited:
Does Igor = Dr Lava?

If so, the AK-007 with the modes removed (2nd PCB removed) is smaller than a flexdrive.

The AK-007 measures 11mm in diameter, and is circular. That's about 95 square mm.
The flexdrive is 9x12, which is 108 square mm. So it's a tad bigger. Plus it's a rectangle, so those square mm aren't quite as convenient in circular hosts ;)

The AK-007 is $3. Not a bad price - worth playing around with.

Looking back at the thread I pointed you to, the AK-007 isn't actually the driver I used for that build, but it looks virtually identical. There's a separate thread about the AK-007. I've gotten 1W out of a 445 built with it. Not bad for $3. Add a ceramic cap to the output, and you've got a really trustworthy driver in my opinion. Some may disagree, but I've been really impressed by LED drivers.

Igor refers to IgorT, he was probably the best when it comes to DIY portable lasers. Designed and built his own SMD drivers by hand, and designed his own heatsinks that allowed incredible duty cycles with even 8-12X diodes. There's a reason you've probably never seen one of his lasers for sale.

Edit: I say was but, he probably still is.

Last edited:

LaZeRz

Isnt there a way drive a 445 diode with just a SMD cap and resistor soldered across the pins?

Sure.... if you want to risk blowing the LD...
The LD is a current device similar to and LED...

Jerry

rhd

Isnt there a way drive a 445 diode with just a SMD cap and resistor soldered across the pins?

Nope. Almost every build I've seen requires some sort of power source ;p

EDIT: In all seriousness though - direct drive is a bad idea. If you're comfortable enough with soldering to be working with SMD caps, why wouldn't you at least make a DIY linear driver?

Last edited: