Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

shop-vac cooling argon laser?

Ahh, and the fan still wasn't working?! Thats pretty wierd, maybe a loose wire under where the sticker is located, happend before, these compuer fans are a really basic design with bo brushes I believe coreless is the term, so they are pretty much indestructible. Sorry for the captain obvious post before then ;D

But on a side note if it still isnt working when you get it back any computer supply store (ok maybe not compusa), will be able to supply you one of same size possibly higher CFM...what size was it 120x120mm?

brtaman

I'm not sure if a computer store would have them. I'm sure they would have the right size, but these fans are pretty overkill for a computer. Mine takes like 15 seconds to ramp up to full speed, and it cranks out a LOT of air.  :eek: :eek: :eek:

Oh trust me in the old days of overclocking we would use tornado generators, the things would suck so much air it would sound like a turbine, most of the time they weren't even made for computers but the standard sizes allowed us to use them, the overclocking scene has expanded greatly in the past couple of years, I would be surprised if some company isn't selling extremely powerful fans for overclocking :D then again since don't own an argon I don't know. Whats the specs of your fan in CFM?

Thanks
brtaman

brtaman said:
Oh trust me in the old days of overclocking we would use tornado generators, the things would suck so much air it would sound like a turbine, most of the time they weren't even made for computers but the standard sizes allowed us to use them, the overclocking scene has expanded greatly in the past couple of years, I would be surprised if some company isn't selling extremely powerful fans for overclocking :D then again since  don't own an argon I don't know. Whats the specs of your fan in CFM?

Thanks
brtaman

Yeah now that I think about it you may be right. As far as the specs, I'm really not sure. I could swear that I read the specs for it somewhere but now I cant find it for the life of me. All I know is that its powered by a 120vac motor, and the central hub of the thing is held on by 4 bolts... super beefy.

I believe that most of the Argon heads have a thermal shutdown system connected to the PS. That will protect the tube but don't make a habit of going over temp. My 30 mW single line which I bought from Herrur.... has a digital control module on the back which keeps me from damaging the tube.

Mike

daguin

GooeyGus said:
I'm not sure if a computer store would have them. I'm sure they would have the right size, but these fans are pretty overkill for a computer. Mine takes like 15 seconds to ramp up to full speed, and it cranks out a LOT of air. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Radio Shack - 4.75 inch - 65CFM

Not the 115CFM recommended by Uniphase, but still alott of air.

Peace,
dave

65 CFPM is NOT ENOUGH! At 115 cfpm, the air is blow dryer high setting hot! :-/ But then again they are usually being run at higher than the 6A typical use current ;D

daguin

heruursciences said:
65 CFPM is NOT ENOUGH! At 115 cfpm, the air is blow dryer high setting hot! :-/ But then again they are usually being run at higher than the 6A typical use current ;D

I agree. I was just pointing out how much air the "larger" computer-type fans moved. It "feels" like alott of air, but it is a long way from the 115 CFM recommended by Uniphase.

Peace,
dave

P.S. I found a LASOS power supply :)

I was just going through my old collection of "computer" fans". Well most of the 120x120mm that I have are over 100CFM. I don't know what voltage your argon fans run at (are they AC?).

But I found this beast that you might be interested in:

http://www.subzeropcs.com/delta_tfb1212ghe_extream_high_speed_220_cfm_fan_120mm_x_38mm.html

OOOOHHHH YEEAAAAHHHH :D 220.1 CFM

I am sure they can also be had for AC, if that is what you guys require, the reason computer fans may not be applicable completely is that they are designed for 12v, due to the way their PSU's and electronic requirements are made.

If you guys need an AC fan replacement though:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6..._Fan_DF1A12BA.html?tl=g46c265s668&id=gCG9aUeT

or :D :D :D
http://www.medibix.com/detail.jsp?view=detail&sku_id=847425&product_id=453425

but its 240v im sure its availible in american voltage as well though

Thanks
brtaman

The laser arrived yesterday and was tested to be fine, but the jumper was on the wrong set of pins, If it won't work on pins 12 and 13, move to 13 and 14; It works great at about 60mW+. This laser was also one that i allready perm-aligned btw.

Oh the fan had traces blown off the circuit board inside- perhaps it got plugged into 120? :-/

heruursciences said:
The laser arrived yesterday and was tested to be fine, but the jumper was on the wrong set of pins, If it won't work on pins 12 and 13, move to 13 and 14; It works great at about 60mW+. This laser was also one that i allready perm-aligned btw.

Oh the fan had traces blown off the circuit board inside- perhaps it got plugged into 120? :-/

quite possible, most fans used for cooling argons (that i've seen) run from line voltage

heruursciences said:

Oh the fan had traces blown off the circuit board inside- perhaps it got plugged into 120?  :-/

Great news! Except the fan of course, may it rest in peace.