Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sharp GH04W10A2GC 350mW 405nm

The Airy disc is named after George Airy who first described the mathematics involved in the diffraction limited function. This is also used in holography to spacially filter light.

So I'm thinking 800ma to yield around 1260mw and it might have a decent lifespan ?

Hi LPF,
I have these diodes coming soon and I will test them accordingly . To see and justify the knee mA they are comfortable with. We all love the 405nm WL and if these last over 1W for a long period of time that's a plus. Even though its a MM diode its still awesome. This I think is what this diode would appreciate as for heat sinking, even a larger diameter sink .fullsizeoutput_ba9.jpeg

Rich:)

I killed one of these purple wonders last night and I don't know how but it's dead, not even LED it's just open circuit.....are these particularly static sensitive ? So far my other Sharp diodes haven't been although it's my fault for not using a mat/strap

DEAR RCB and Rich,i have alot of this diode
The frist i think 950ma is sweet for this diode but it died after few hours(less than 20),then i try with 700ma,it survival 5 months ago to now, power maybe still full. So i think safe is 700ma or less than,look at data,you can see Sharp write max current suggest is 420ma,so i think that is great diode

Last edited:
This sounds like even the MM diodes are touchy in this wavelength. That's too bad. I also had trouble with the single mode ones and keeping a build working for more than a few months.

I’m not quite sold on these new 405s yet.
I have one BDR209 left I won for $12 on Techhood months ago. When I get around to building it back up I’m going to drive it maybe around 480-500ma. I’d like to keep it a while. I’m gonna see how the x-wossee 500mA SEPIC driver fairs with one cell at max I. If it turns out to need massive IC heatsinking like the 1500, I’ll just use a flexdriveV5.
SGD🍻

[/QUOTE]
Hi LPF,
I have these diodes coming soon and I will test them accordingly . To see and justify the knee mA they are comfortable with. We all love the 405nm WL and if these last over 1W for a long period of time that's a plus. Even though its a MM diode its still awesome. This I think is what this diode would appreciate as for heat sinking, even a larger diameter sink .View attachment 64502

That’s awesome Rich, much appreciated :D
I killed one of these purple wonders last night and I don't know how but it's dead, not even LED it's just open circuit.....are these particularly static sensitive ? So far my other Sharp diodes haven't been although it's my fault for not using a mat/strap
Yeah man I’m bad with not using an ESD strap and mat so I know what you mean, I’ve been lucky so far but their is a first time for everything so I’m sure it’ll happen one day.

Hi Red,
My 405 order will be here tomorrow so I will test these diodes and see what's going on. The weekend is near so I will have some time.

That’s awesome Rich, much appreciated :D

Yeah man I’m bad with not using an ESD strap and mat so I know what you mean, I’ve been lucky so far but their is a first time for everything so I’m sure it’ll happen one day.
[/QUOTE]

I always use a ESD mat and ESD grounding bracelet when I work . Either testing or building it can't hurt, the coil wire on mine reaches 12FT and can cover my whole work bench.

620mA is the sweetest spot.................been running strong since october 2018!!!!!! powerful engraver!

Hi LPF.
Ok I received the Sharp 405nm diodes yesterday and did some testing this morning before work.
Well I have to say that concurring with Jordans findings that this diode has a great divergence . And to what I found that this diode does very well set at 1.5A to give a stable 2+ W's with a G2 lens . Well now we have two awesome 405nm diodes here . The BDR-209 and the Sharp 405nm diode.

Sumfinclever

Hi LPF.
Ok I received the Sharp 405nm diodes yesterday and did some testing this morning before work.
Well I have to say that concurring with Jordans findings that this diode has a great divergence .....

I've been extremely satisfied with the beam quality of this sharp diode running on about 1.6A. After a few people asking me to confirm my preference for the 3E lens, I went back and swapped the 3E on mine out for a new G2. Now take this with a grain of salt as it's 100% subjective and not approached from a scientific standpoint, with actual measurements and calculating divergance. I still think the beam looks way tighter using the 3E lens, but I do notice there is a noticeable improvement in visibility when using the G2 lens. The added power throughput increases perceived brightness, which combined with the 'fatter' beam, definitely adds to the wow factor but doesn't look as nice to me as the 3E even still.

i don't know what you guys are doing, but i have lost some at 1A, 1.5A is an extremely difficult test