Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sh#t's hit the fan.

ElektroFreak, very true, my laser- my responsibility, same goes for anything else.

However the discussion might not be pointeless, there's always a newb who can't find the search button and stumbles upon this thread, possibly saving somebody's eyesight and/or lives.

Never underestimate the power of coincidence :D

Styro, profit is too much for the to pull it , imagine the number of sold arctics and lasers which's prices went down horribly - it's like asking an oil company to step down because electricity and battery-powered cars rule.

Styro, profit is too much for the to pull it , imagine the number of sold arctics and lasers which's prices went down horribly - it's like asking an oil company to step down because electricity and battery-powered cars rule.

Exactly, I'm using this as an example to say to everybody if you want me to remove my video, you better get the other companies and yourselves to stop selling these, which won't happen. I don't want to be pointed out as the bad guy in all of this.

Toke

I don't want to be pointed out as the bad guy in all of this.
I don't see anyone pointing at you.
Your video will get likely get more people interested in building their own lasers, which is a nice hobby.
Of course some will get hurt, but you are right that the ones who take the time to learn to build their own are safer than the ones just buying it.

I don't see anyone pointing at you.
Your video will get likely get more people interested in building their own lasers, which is a nice hobby.
Of course some will get hurt, but you are right that the ones who take the time to learn to build their own are safer than the ones just buying it.
Disagreed, I always say that the person who is capable of building a laser is also capable of using it responsibly.

And nobody is pointing at you, Styro, you warned viewers of safety and if a guy can't figure out that pointing a laser, which slices some tape in half, in a person or near one - he sure as hell ain't the brightest "star on the sky" and will most likely end up failing the build or parents won't allow him to buy a finished laser because it's a lot of money. And that it's dangerous, if they know any little about it.

Toke

Disagreed, I always say that the person who is capable of building a laser is also capable of using it responsibly.
Well, we disagree, there is bound to be the combination of people who can build one, but cannot use it responsibly.

Well, at the very least there's a safety warning in the video this time.

The PHR one doesn't: YouTube - DIY: How to Make a High Powered Burning Blue/Violet Laser Pointer

Nor does the 250mW red one here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VrND...931&feature=iv

So, a simple blurb saying not to point the laser into other peoples' eyes, and not to look into the beam is enough for him to get away with everything?

In neither of the videos, or the descriptions, does it say to use safety goggles when using the laser or when burning. There is no mention of protective eyewear in any of these two videos, or in his reviews. The only difference at the moment between styropyro and KipKay is that styropyro uses a driver. That's it.

In the description, there's detailed parts lists for each build. Yet there's no mention of goggles, or where you can get a pair.I'd guess you get paid for referrals and advertising for those companies. I'm sure advertising protective eyewear isn't too hard?

Both the PHR and the LOC have potential to cause permanent eye damage from an accidental exposure. They also have the potential to cause permanent damage as a result from cumulative exposure, especially when burning, where a high-intensity focused beam is present.

Especially considering during burning sessions where your face may be as little as 30cm away from the laser and the spot on the object. The potential for damage, even from cumulative exposure to diffuse reflections, as stated before, is there. And it is not being addressed adequately, and is not even mentioned.

KipKay was flamed into oblivion over not actively promoting the use of protective eyewear and at the very least he now has warnings in his videos. Although more needs to be done, kudos for him for at least having warnings in the videos. His videos have none. And why can he get away with it while KipKay can't?

Perhaps it's just me, but do I smell double standards, from the community as a whole? Just because styropyro's a 'respected' member of the LPF community he doesn't need to face up to this same criticism?

On top of that, there's all the technical mistakes in his videos, including only setting the diode flush (in both the 445 and the PHR), not using a test-load to set current, not testing the driver beforehand, and setting current with the diode running. Anyone else who had those sort of mistakes in a build guide or tutorial would immediately be flamed, or even -repped.

Perhaps I'm not the only one seeing the hypocrisy?

Also, a party is no excuse not to address safety concerns, especially from your fellow LPF members. If there's an issue regarding your video, taking some time to address it would not be difficult. I'm sure 5 or 10 minutes would not matter in the grand scheme of things, especially on such a sensitive topic (having both had the Arctic affair and the KipKay lighter giveaway).

Last edited:
Well, we disagree, there is bound to be the combination of people who can build one, but cannot use it responsibly.
True, there will be rare cases of a guy with lot of money and a friend handy with soldering iron and tools gets a hold of his new "toy" ...

But honestly, how frequent does that happen?

We should always help new members understand hwo a laser works and how it is assembled, video tutorials being the best.

But not to go into too much detail, ofcourse.

Anyhow, either way it's expensive hobby, so not just any folks who do not consider a laser valuable will have it. How many times were you asked "How much is that thing worth" [Insert 3digit figure here as reply] "You are insane!"

JLSE

I don't want to be pointed out as the bad guy in all of this.

very_bad_man_babu.jpg

Put up a bunch of ads in the pro-shop for -GRONKULATORS- 445 builds won't work without one. And -FASBAXERS- so your 445 will burn! And it leads you into a very obscure web-ring of meaningless technical sites promising you can "order" after just the next link.

That gave me a good belly jiggle :crackup:

Last edited:
There are 100's of thousands of blinding lasers for sale, already built for not much money. Building a high powered one, is a piss in the bucket compared to the other avenues. Is there a risk that an incident "could" make the media and cause problems? Absolutely. Is there a high likely hood that it would shut down the laser hobby for the more responsible types any time soon? NO! The real risk is that ordinary asinine legislation crops up from time to time and steps on our liberties.

Last edited:
To be honest Jerry I don't think anyone is going to blow a diode no matter what they set their driver at! I just maxed mine out to see what would happen...

Over 1,300mW is what happened!

I didn't see any insulation tape to prevent this so... Maybe the driver will short out on the pill or heatsink and cause intermittent problems leading to...

Laser dim - look into laser - laser bright - user blind!

M
:)

Hey Morgan....
you seem to have missed my point...

The OP is reffering to "thousands of 13-year-olds that read
hack-a-day to build 1 watt lasers
"

I was just saying that there is a better than average chance
that an average 13 year old (non member of this Forum) will not
have the Soldering skills or Electronic knowledge to successfully
build a 1 Watt laser using only that Video...:beer:

There is a higher chance that he will blow the LD due to ESD..
Soldering overeating... Bad connections... or blow the Boost driver by
Not loading the output or having an intermittent LD connection or
just plain hooking it up wrong..

Jerry

Morgan

^ Ah, I see. I thought you meant that by not setting a particular current output they could pop it that way. You probably correctly interpretted that from my original quote so I think I just repeated myself! I also think I just repeated myself!

I do have other opinions regards the debate here but I can only see me adding to what may turn into a rant thread.

I won't cry over spilt milk but I wasn't behind the idea of this video before it was produced, and find myself similarly concerned now it's available.

M
:)

ped

Kids with lasers...kids with guns...its the modern world we live in.

Asherz

Not sure what's worse, Kipkay putting together a video because so many people will see it, but they will fail because his videos suck on lasers. Or Styro's because it's well put together and people may have a chance at actually getting one working.

I'm gonna go with Kipkays because Styro's pointed out safety, not really doing much more damage than has already been done with commercial lasers since DIY isn't much cheaper than buying the commercial and 90% of the time they'll fail the first time.

Nice work on the video Styro, it's well put together :) I reckon Kip will wait until every things quite, then post so he doesn't have to share attention.

One problem though, he's already called violet blue, whats he going to call the true blue diodes? XD Worlds first ultra powerful ultra blue laser lightsaber look a like on battery cells? That's my bet. Hopefully wickedlasers sue him and they fight it off in an epic battle and both come out bankrupt.

Last edited: