Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sh#t's hit the fan.

sterb029.gif

"son i have to punish you because you dont have your glasses on with your 1mega watt laser in front of your eyes"------ "nuts to you dad i built this from a video and none of those guys had glasses on either"..

Hmmm, IMHO, I don't think the stuff's hit the fan until either Angelina Jolie or Snooki builds one. Geekdom is safe for now! haha ;P

sterb029.gif

"son i have to punish you because you dont have your glasses on with your 1mega watt laser in front of your eyes"------ "nuts to you dad i built this from a video and none of those guys had glasses on either"..

Well, I did bring that issue up before, about the lack of safety warnings, both for diffuse reflections, and the blue light hazard.

I'm sure styropyro has been around, and so have most members of the community.

Perhaps when something like this happens it's much easier to brush the issue aside rather than have the person held accountable.

Here's the post, for your reference.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/sh-ts-hit-fan-54573-2.html#post769519

oic0

new comers will almost always fail their first attempt. The $100 wasted on this attempt will lead them away....

I put mine together from a kit with bare diode, bare driver, a host, and heatsink, having never soldered in my entire life. I kept thinking I was going to screw something up and expected it to make smoke when I put the battery in it since I was pretty much just winging it. This one is pretty hard to screw up since the diode is faily heat and ESD tolerant plus nearly all of the available drivers can't kill it within their adjustable current ranges. It really is a great little diode :beer:
I can't imagine using it without goggles though. Surely anyone halfway intelligent will realize that if it feels like looking at the sun, its probably like looking at the sun... Heck I dont see how it would even be possible to burn with the thing without goggles, you would be squinting, in pain, and unable to focus it.

Last edited:

Trevor

I watched styro's video on youtube. Then I came here, searched his name, and found this thread. I successfully made a Dx 200mw green from one of his previous videos, and now I am going to do the 1 watt build.

I have done a lot of research here, and i've already order some goggles, and the 18650 kit from jayrob with a 3 week backorder. And I'm waiting for LarryDFW to contact me about some sanyo 18650 2600mah batteries, and a 2 cell charger.

By the way, this is my first post... When I joined this forum, I used the 'search tool' so I never really had to start a new thread :p I learned a lot from searching, and now I feel confident enough to build a 1 watt handheld.

Stephen

Excellent first post, sir. We need more of you. :)

-Trevor

If kipkay puts out a 445 video, we're f**ked.

Lol... "And wow! You just made a blue laser phaser, but this one can actually inflict pain and blindness and maybe even start a fire! And all for less than a hundred dollars!"

NR

Lol... "And wow! You just made a blue laser phaser, but this one can actually inflict pain and blindness and maybe even start a fire! And all for less than a hundred dollars!"

NR
You mean :"...less than a thousand dollars!" , since Kipkay's PHR module costs $100 :D

I wonder if that "Laser-DIY" site of his will offer 445nm diode, and at what price. Probably around $500 or so.

Sorry to bump a thread that's been quiet for a couple weeks but I wanted to add that like Stephenabner Styro's video is what finally got me to stop thinking about building a laser of my own and actually do it. I've told a couple coworkers that I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my 1w 445 that I ordered from yobresal and they've all said it sounds cool and would like to see it sometime. My reply has been something along the lines of "Yeah the 445nm lasers are cool but a 1w laser of any color honestly scares the hell out of me because one screwup without proper eye protection and you could blind yourself or even worse someone else without even knowing it." I've also told them I won't be doing any public demos (I'll have pics and vids of course) until I have the proper safety equipment available and in place.

I guess that my point is that for every idiot who sees a video like Styro's and builds or buys a high powered laser that injures someone there will be ten (or maybe a hundred) who become truly interested in building their own lasers and do so responsibly. Sorry for the semi-rant but blanket statements like that annoy me. Although from my brief encounters with kipkay's videos all I can say so far is "Ugh". Oh well back to figuring out what I need for my first build. :thinking: :D

Its an extremely bright laser. Just viewing the beam without goggles will leave blue images in your eyes for a while. Make sure to get good goggles for your own protection. Its no joke.

i dont think too many kids are really going to be building a laser like that. for one thing money.. but even if one did it, that would be one too many.
as it is, i heard a story on npr just a few days ago about the "powerful green lasers" and what happens if you shine one at a cop in a helicopter.
the cops get really adamant and the person doing the shining gets to make some new friends.
so, yes, sooner or later, they may really crack down on lasers,
i have been looking at some gootube vids on making rail guns, could be my next subject
of distraction.

Last edited: