Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Second build - HELP!!!

Hey, I am fairly new to lasers and so I only have my first build, a "100mw" from Deal extreme. I would guess 35-50 mW because it still pops balloons. I dont have glasses and so that's my first question, where can I get cheap safety glasses that protect from blue to green. I mean CHEAP! Also I have made an lm317 driver set to 120 mah. This will drive my laser I'm building, a PHR803t in an aixis. Now my biggest question is how many volts do I hook it up to? Can I use a 9volt? Or what? Thanks

Hi there... and welcome to the forum. You may want to head over to the welcome section and post a brief introduction about yourself to kick off your LPF experience the right way. Read the sticky posts and learn about the schtuff generally important to participate on the forum. You questions can probably be found answered already in the archives using the search tool at the bottom of the page. I ordered some safety glasses from another member that work great for blue, but not so great for green... your mileage may vary. A quick search will yield a ton of results about glasses and goggles of varying quality and price. My recommendation would be to not skimp on safety. If you have to pinch pennies, do it with the pieces parts and lasers, but you can't replace your eyeballs. :)

Be safe and have fun!

c

Hey, I am fairly new to lasers and so I only have my first build, a "100mw" from Deal extreme. I would guess 35-50 mW because it still pops balloons. I dont have glasses and so that's my first question, where can I get cheap safety glasses that protect from blue to green. I mean CHEAP! Also I have made an lm317 driver set to 120 mah. This will drive my laser I'm building, a PHR803t in an aixis. Now my biggest question is how many volts do I hook it up to? Can I use a 9volt? Or what? Thanks

Well I have two pair of safety glasses that I am satisfied with, the above link provided by KapHn8d should be a good choice but you might take a look at these too: Uvex S0360X Ultra-spec 2000 Safety Eyewear, Orange Frame, SCT-Orange UV Extreme Anti-Fog Lens - Amazon.com
and these: HDE® Laser Eye Protection Safety Glasses Goggles for Green Blue Lasers W/ Free Hard Case - Amazon.com
and here are links to testing of both of them:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/c...test-uvex-s0360x-ultra-spec-2000-a-73484.html
and:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/h...-back-7-95-w-case-free-shipping-us-80717.html
but if you want really good glasses get some Eagle Pair from Survival Lasers:
Safety

As far as voltage goes yes you can use 9v for that but any higher it may get hot, I don't know at the moment what voltage a PHR803T requires so am not sure of the minimum you need but you should be ok with 7v - 9v I think.

Alan

Things

9V will be fine, however I think 120mA is pushing it for a PHR - it may work but from memory 100mA or so was about the limit before they started getting risky.

Thank you for all the help. I'll definatley order some glasses. The site I'm ordering from is actually suggesting the 120 mah and I'll only be using it in small bursts so as to keep it cool minus a heatsink.

I'm sure my 803 is running at 120mA no probs yet, running on 2 10440's