Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Searching low power blue laser

He could see the beam in some smoke or fog
created atmosphere..

Jerry

Reactions: GSS

Radim

Thanks Encap! Nice caluculator.

A shame I can't imagine how it will look for real. So I have no clue if 1mW is satisfying or not, You know what I mean?

I already have a green laser and it is very bright. I don't know the output (I think the printed values are fake), but I guess it is above 5mW? I do not have eye protection right now, so I rarely use it and only with extrem caution. It was a present, bought in poland.

But now I want to have a blue laser. I like the color and I have never seen one before. I think it will look more fascinating.

Thanks for the info, Radim.

Class 3R is not as safe, but I guess it is acceptable, although I have to be more careful. What about a sky blue laser (around 470nm)? If the calculation is correct, 5mW at this wavelangth is nearly as visible as the green 1mW laser.

And ideas for purchase?

Regarding visibility it is always an estimate, as everybody's perception is unique. For example how people perceive 405 nm, which is almost at the end of visible spectrum. Check forum search for more, there was a thread for that. Simply someone can have his/her spectrum perception slightly different. Also in the dark the luminosity function is slightly "moved" more to shorter wavelengths - more blue.

Good luck with your selection. I personally would like to go for 473 nm with IR filter, however these are expensive - but what a color! :)

Power for power 405 nm blu-violet is only 1 percent as bright as 532 nm green, 450 nm blue about 10 percent as bright as green for the same power. Same thing happens at the opposite end of the spectrum, deep red very dim at 1 percent the brightness of green, 650 nm red about 10% as bright as 532nm green.

Screen%20Shot%202017-02-04%20at%2010.09.47%20PM.png

Radim

Power for power 405 nm blu-violet is only 1 percent as bright as 532 nm green, 450 nm blue about 10 percent as bright as green for the same power. Same thing happens at the opposite end of the spectrum, deep red very dim at 1 percent the brightness of green, 650 nm red about 10% as bright as 532nm green.

Screen%20Shot%202017-02-04%20at%2010.09.47%20PM.png

Yes, this function is for daylight - maximum around 555 nm. For more information check wiki here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminosity_function

There is also this chart compared to the one for low light. So in other words - in the night the blue is much more visible than in daylight (when comparing to e.g. green at the same conditions).

Edit:
The chart from wiki:

Luminosity.png

Black: Daylight, Green: Low light

Last edited:
Thank you all for the valuable information.

I mostly want to view the beam at night, like a lightsaber. Using the laser when it is foggy is surely interesting, too. Just toying a bit around and be happy to have a cool blue laser^^

Now I am unsure if I should buy the 1mW or the 5mW laser.

I have a 3mw 450nm blue laser pen I can sell to you $40 shipped if you like.

Thanks Alex ;)

:crackup: can't stop laughing

Last edited:

Razako

The 5mw laser will have a barely visible beam at night. A 1mw blue laser won't have any beam to speak off. If you want to see a beam you should definitely go with the higher power option.

Last edited:
1mW of Blue is not much. Think cat toy red but with a bigger spot so lower power density and less visible because of it. I would go for the 5mW. Nice to see someone asking about the low power blues. +rep for that.

@Crazlaser and Hap
May I ask what's so funny? I don't understand the joke ;)
Maybe the price of 40$ for which I can buy a new one at laserbtb? ;P

@CynicalBrad
Thanks for the rep. Then I should go for the 5mW version and hope for some fog to occur for better visibility.

A 473nm laser would be nice, but way too expensive for me.

EDIT

Some last questions about laserbtb:
Are the specs really for the 450nm laser? (See the 460nm in the description?)
Does the LP460 - 5 refer to the 5mW pointer? Because 50-55mW is way above.

Item specifics

The amazing blue laser pointer, 460nm, Osram laser diode, single mode.

LP460 - 1 | 450nm | 4-5mW
LP460 - 5 | 450nm | 50-55mW

Last edited:
Yeah it says 460 on the laser but it's not, it's definitely 450.

And actually $40 shipped isn't a bad deal, it's $48 for it on laserbtb and shipping is usually at least $12. But I just realized you're in Germany and I don't like shipping overseas.

The joke was Alex just sold it to me for $16 shipped.

Last edited:
If you want to pay even less you could try this one for
$18.98 USD ...

5mW 445nm 450nm Blue Ray Portable Laser Lazer Pointer Point Pen

I'm pretty sure it is more than the advertised 5mW... so get some
appropriate Laser Safety Goggles for that wavelength just to be
safe it it is more than 5mW.

If it is >5mW you can add a Neutral Density filter to drop the
power to below 5mW.

Jerry
Don't buy these 20.00 laserlands pointers they fail very very quickly. I've had two that failed within 1 day of usage. They blamed it on "moisture during transit shipping".

Encap

Some last questions about laserbtb:
Are the specs really for the 450nm laser? (See the 460nm in the description?)
Does the LP460 - 5 refer to the 5mW pointer? Because 50-55mW is way above.

Item specifics

The amazing blue laser pointer, 460nm, Osram laser diode, single mode.

LP460 - 1 | 450nm | 4-5mW
LP460 - 5 | 450nm | 50-55mW

You can email lasertbtb and confirm the specs and ask any questions you may have---email address is here: laserbtb

Don't buy these 20.00 laserlands pointers they fail very very quickly. I've had two that failed within 1 day of usage. They blamed it on "moisture during transit shipping".
Maybe a bad batch...
I must have about 7 of these cheap pointers of different
wavelengths from Laserlands that I've picked up over the
years and they are still working.. I probably don't use them
as often as you guys...

Jerry

Last edited:

Radim

A 473nm laser would be nice, but way too expensive for me.

But if you want an awesome DPSS laser, spare for it. It is a beautiful color and it is not diode laser (however there is a pump laser diode inside - so you get two in one :)), DPSS lasers usually have nicer beam specs. Also the wavelength is more visible. 5 mW I guess would give you beam slightly visible at night. As you can see, I do not have one yet (but dreaming about at least 50 mW), so not sure with visibility...

Edit: Don't listen to me, I just love DPSS lasers... :D

Last edited: