Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Scumbagatheist laser. 405nm @ 452mw Review....

norbyx

Today I got the laser I bought from scumbagatheist or how I would rather call him Brian.
Well fact is that I was searching for a 405nm at about 500mw of power. I put an add in the B/S/T section of the forum. I got contacted by a user stating that he has one and would sell it to me for $200, I ask what are the performance figures of the laser and he states that he has to check but that he was quite sure that it could give at least 500mw out. Well he contacts me later on that day and he says that he checked the laser but it was giving about 800mw of power so that $200 was not the price anymore. Well that made me turn my back on the purchase, for me there is no such thing as, "yeah I tested the laser and since it's performance is higher than expected than I shall raise the price", for me that is just not ethnical to any buyer. Anyway I tell him he can keep his laser (and think to myself that he can use it as a suppository if he likes to). Soon afterwards Brian contacts me and tells me he has a the laser I was looking for. Well I tell him that I want a cheap laser and I am not looking to spend too much money for the 405nm. So he asks me for $200 for the laser, battery and goggles. I agree and he sends me the specs of the laser that are the following:
The diode is a S06J from DTR. It comes with a 3-element lens.
The driver is a Ben Boost Mini V5 running quite smoothly @ 495mA. The driver is brand new as well.
The host is a Survival Lasers C-6 w/ red anodized heat sink.

Well the only part I didn't like much was the red heat sink, I mean you would buy that for your red laser but for your violet one I don't think so. Anyhow that is what he had and there were no changes possible, so I settled for the red heat sink.
He also tells me that he can't ship the laser in one piece due to some rules about selling lasers in the US, well that is not a problem for me.
So when I go out and receive the box what I find inside is, One host, assembled, one pair of protective goggles, that are some UVEX, that is a good option but they were obviously used and had all the lenses scratched. I usually dislike in using second hand goggles or sun glasses since if you sweat you usually don't wash them, so you just pass on the eventual germs, anyhow I will wash them well and keep them for my guests. Also there was one battery included that also didn't look new, but it works, and a small bubble wrap with inside the laser host and the driver, all nicely connected.
A bit disappointed in getting a pair of used goggles but still better than getting nothing.
Oh and a small hex key to, used to tighten the small hex screw in the heat skink, that was a nice detail.
So let's start with the pictures.... Here is how I got everything...

Here Is a detail on the battery

The driver

The pill

The completed laser

So the assembly, takes me about 2 min to have the laser working condition. The beam is nice, It looks quite powerful so it is time to put it to the test on the LPM.
I hook up the Laserbee II and this is the chart I get from the laser.

Not bad .... no bad at all... considering that I wanted 500mw and I got 452 I am quite satisfied (anyhow you wouldn't tell the difference by seeing it).
The amperage measured at the tail cap was of a little less than 500mA (my DMM is on it's way so I still have to use my old Triplet MM).

Here is beam shot.

Here is a picture of the dot, it's nice and round:

Seen through the goggles:

Conclusion:
The laser works as it should, it looks cool and it has the specs more or less like expected. Brian is a great guy to deal with and he shipped the laser quite fast, the fact that it was not assembled didn't mean much at all... Only complaint I would have would be that if you offer a battery and a pair of goggles to a buyer, and since you are starting to build lasers just for sale, other than for your own use, you have to ship them new.
I would recommend Brian (scumbagatheist) as a seller to anyone looking for a nice laser at a fair price...

IsaacT

I would say that if he had a for sale thread up with builds and build photos and all that, then yes new goggles and new batteries should be sent. However, as he was replying to your FS thread, and it was a laser he happened to have and wouldn't mind selling, it is not quite so bad, I think. He might should have said something like "I have a spare pair of safety goggles I'll toss in for "x" number of dollars". But just think, if you are responding to a WTB thread, you may not have lots of brand new goggles sitting around.

Overall it sounds like it was a good experience though, and it will be interesting to see how Scumbagatheist's eventual sell threads go through.

Last edited:

norbyx

I would say that if he had a for sale thread up with builds and build photos and all that, then yes new goggles and new batteries should be sent. However, as he was replying to your FS thread, and it was a laser he happened to have and wouldn't mind selling, it is not quite so bad, I think. He might should have said something like "I have a spare pair of safety goggles I'll toss in for "x" number of dollars". But just think, if you are responding to a WTB thread, you may not have lots of brand new goggles sitting around.

Overall it sounds like it was a good experience though, and it will be interesting to see how Scumbagatheist's eventual sell threads go through.
As I state in my review, I am happy with the deal, but yes, he should have mentioned that the battery and goggles were used.
"I have a spare of used goggles and a good working battery" would have been great, anyhow the goggles are not that bad, and the battery works just fine, BUT when I review something I do it as if I was a third person, so I need to say everything as it is, even if it is an insignificant detail...

Brian is a great guy to deal with and I am very happy as a customer....
:angel:

Thank you for the review, Norberto. I do apologize for the used pair of goggles and the battery. I did piece this thing together for you on the spot, but I should not have forgotten to mention that you were getting used goggles and a used battery (laptop salvage). That was my mistake, and I should have made that explicitly clear. For that, I am sorry. I am glad to hear that you are otherwise happy. Should you choose to do business with me again, I will make up for it.

I wish that diode had turned out to be a monster for you, but until I can start binning diodes, my luck of the draw will be the buyers. At least I should be getting an LPM before much longer.

Thanks again. I would happily do business with you again as well.

norbyx

Brian let me tell you I am quite happy the way the laser is... I know that that it could have been more powerful but there is always two sides of the coin. More powerful lasers are prone to have damages sooner, and they are a PITA since you can't use them at all without goggles.
Now my goal is to have less powerfull lasers since all the powerful ones are just for burning, but low power lasers can be fun to play with your kids, your cat or just to shine them on the wall. I have a little 3.5mw laser I use to play with my cat and kids and it is much more fun than the big monsters....
Thanks for you kind words, and don't worry that I am a happy customer.

Thanks, Isaac. You can bet that when I have built a laser to sell (ahem..Khaleesi), that I will be dotting all my i's and crossing all my t's. I have plenty of time to purchase new batteries and goggles for [name withheld] before his amazing host is finished being machined. It was my fault, forgetting the details, on this rapidly thrown together build for Norbyx. As long as I see someone coming from a way's away, I'll make sure their goodies are all new and shiny.

The driver is a Ben Boost Mini V5 running quite smoothly @ 495mA. x key to,

The amperage measured at the tail cap was of a little less than 500mA (my DMM is on it's way so I still have to use my old Triplet MM).

The amperage measured at the tailcap for a boost driver is higher than what's actually being put through the diode.