Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Scared of messed up m140 diode

Status
Not open for further replies.

USAbro

And how do I decan it? Do I need any special tools? :(

Last edited:

You most likely would need a press set.
Diodes are usually pressed into a
heatsink. It has to be pressed out and
carefully gone around with a utility knife
and opened up.

upaa27

Oh gosh. Decanning a 5.6mm with no experience with it is probably going to destroy the diode.

I'm crossing my fingers that first time's a charm works for you.

USAbro

Don't think I'll decan it.

What if I buy a new diode, will I need a press set to remove the old one? How much do they cost and where can I buy them?

As Ive been saying from the start, just try cleaning it again with the isopropanol. If you wreck the diode window in the process then think about decanning. Decanning it will 95 % kill your diode, there are too many things that could go wrong if you go that route. :beer:

Last edited:

USAbro

I've tried the isoproyl alcohol. It doesn't work? What is the window made of?

Could it be scratched?

Yes it could be scratched, but it could also just still be dirty...:horse:

You could also ask a Vet (in US) if they might be able to clean it for you. If its scratched they might be able to decan. There will still be no guarantees though. :beer:

DTR

If you can get the diode out and want to send it over I would take a shot at cleaning it for you. If it will not clean I have a decaner tool. Decanning is the last resort as when it looses the can next time any contaminants get in there there it will be the end of the diode as the can does protect the dye and bond wires.:beer:

USAbro

I'm gonna try some new cleaning ideas.

Sulfuric Acid. :) :huh:

Can the laser be decaned without removing it from the housing assembly?

Guys, so I have now looked at the lens under a microscope 100x and can see the problem in full view.

Problem: Piece of something that won't come off the lens is still harboring there. I don't think it is a scratch because I used a tiny fiber prick across the surface to try to feel a roughness. None there. I think it is a smoke film on the glass.

Are there any other chemicals to try?

Last edited:

upaa27

I'm gonna try some new cleaning ideas.

Sulfuric Acid. :) :huh:

Can the laser be decaned without removing it from the housing assembly?

Guys, so I have now looked at the lens under a microscope 100x and can see the problem in full view.

Problem: Piece of something that won't come off the lens is still harboring there. I don't think it is a scratch because I used a tiny fiber prick across the surface to try to feel a roughness. None there. I think it is a smoke film on the glass.

Are there any other chemicals to try?

No you can't decan it withought removing the module.

There was a recent thread about a guy who took the window off which removed that stuff but also made it more fragile.

USAbro

OKAY GUYS. THE NEWS IS:

M140 Diode Window Advanced Surgery Gone Wrong. It ended up the diode window was scratched, under 100x magnification.

I attempted what seemed to work. I drilled out the glass window. Everything was fine until things weren't fine. I accidently destroyed the diode inside.
Sucks for me.
Diode is dead.

Last edited:

upaa27

OKAY GUYS. THE NEWS IS:

M140 Diode Window Advanced Surgery Gone Wrong. It ended up the diode window was scratched, under 100x magnification.

I attempted what seemed to work. I drilled out the glass window. Everything was fine until things weren't fine. I accidently destroyed the diode inside.
Sucks for me.
Diode is dead.

If anyone with a large stock of M140 diodes feels sorry for the poor diode, and would like to send me one for free, PM me.:beer:

NEVER take a drill to a diode. You will destroy everything inside of it 99% of the time. Just take a q tip or something and gently push it until it pops. It will still break usually but it reduces the chances.

You took a damn powertool to a diode and want someone to send you a free one? :wtf:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.