Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Scared of messed up m140 diode

Status
Not open for further replies.

upaa27

Those beam specs actually sound good if you aren't using a lens. Also dust on the window usually doesn't dramatically make the dot change in overall shape(that is the problem from what I am hearing). Check the lens and make sure you didn't screw it all the way in.

Also if you previously fired it with no heat sink or just the module it can do bad things to the diode. Especially to a 5.6mm

DTR

Lot of guess work going on here but as they say a picture is worth a thousand words. Can you post a picture of the raw output on the wall without a lens? Maybe we can better see what is going on. Like this.
p1019627.jpg

USAbro

Okay, the top image you posted is what it used to look like. Now it looks like this.

If the image is not clear, ask and I'll take another. Yes all that discusting blur in the blue is real, that is what it looks like but I can now see no physical damge to the diode. It still has a beam with the lens just horrible divergence and a "corona" type secondary beam outside of the main beam.

Attachments

• 101_8887.JPG
    101_8887.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 119
No. You can decan the diode, but the window is inside the diode's can. So it's pull the whole can off, or try to clean it agian.

If there's dirt in there, then there is
probably dirt on the lens as well.
Depending on the unit, you can put some
isopropanol and distilled water down in
there to try and clean it out.

USAbro

If there's dirt in there, then there is
probably dirt on the lens as well.
Depending on the unit, you can put some
isopropanol and distilled water down in
there to try and clean it out.

Put it in the diode?

Is it possible it is a scratch?

DTR

To clean diode windows I use a Q-tip and 90% Isopropyl. Get one side wet and then gently scrub the diode window with the wet side, repeat with the dry side and immediately blow it out with condensed air or gently with your breath but compressed air is better. Repeat a few times each with a new Q-tip and see if it comes clean.

It could have been scratched by the Q-tip.
They aren't really designed to be cleaned.
It's just a measure that can be taken as a
last resort.

DTR

Never scratched a lens with a Q-tip. Only issue you may find is if pressed too hard you can break the window out or it may just not come clean if run too long in this state and the glass has melted.

USAbro

Okay guys. So this is what I think.

I can still see a smuge on the window that won't come off with the q-tips. Right in the middle of the window. Very small. Using 30x magnification.

While the lens was off I tried shining it on a piece of paper which emmited smoke.

Could the smoke have left a residue?
These kind of foolish mistakes should be warned against. I hope this works out.

I have tried the 90% alcohol.

USAbro

Last edited:
The absolute last resort, is to decan it. You may be at that point if you did get smoke residue on the diode window.

Status
Not open for further replies.