Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

'SCAM' WARNING- By POO Pal

here is how they DO you.

If you fall for the lure of 6 months no interest w/ the Pay Later (4 yrLaser) deal- which becomes PP Credit quickly -
atm-- they have you on the 'hook'=

when you win an auction or buy it now ..

you 1st see a 'PayNow' page

I click that and the next page allows choice of payment methods- I click 'PP acct/bank'

(they feel your nibble and are ready to set the 'hook')

then click 'continue'

in the next page PP has ALREADY switched you BACK to thier F'ing card-

IF you fail too see this (it looks to me to be delibertly made hard to see w/ choice of SMALL font and PALE BLUE color-
AND then click 'continue' w/o changed BACK to PP acct---you're locked in!

SO THAT 3 TIMES YOU NEED TO CLICK YOUR PAYMENT CHOICE-WHY?

ONCE your payment goes to the card and there is no REAL & easy way to fix this.

I SPOKE At length with a PP rep who sorta 'on the side' said I could try to get the seller to refund my payment taken from bank-(already of course)-+
& THEN ask them to send me a PP invoice then put that on the card

;=(
SO.. i asked the seller to do that= they in turn contacted PP who (he said) told them I was likely trying to run a scam on them--THANKS PP great advice/..

This happened to me more than once-

at first I assumed i had messed up (again)

when it happened again I knew-
why do they do that?
to make mo money

in hopes you wont make each and every payment coz if you DONT-- DAMN
they sock a huge interest on the entire charge AFAIK

One time I wanted the item on the card and instead they took funds from my bank which made my rent check bounce!!!!

PP offered to send me a letter telling why this happened in hopes the bank will refund the bounced check charges.

If you have a PP card and make a Ebay buy you may see exactly what I am writing about-

I took screen shots and can prove every word i have written- IMO once I choose a payment method PP is very wrong to be changing MY choice not once but twice before the item was finally paid for.-- sneaky bastards--

another time- when it was new- i put a PJ on it- owed 6 payments of 50$ to avoid any interest if paid in full before end of 6 months w/ min payment of $25- so I set up auto pay for 60$ in just 5 payments- a little extra cushion.

the last pymt MUST cover the remaining balance- to make things super EASY PP allowed me to schedual each and evey payment- no worries- no need to mess with it as i had NO PLANS to charge anything else-

I did not look at the balance - thinking each payment took care of everything-
then I got switched- an item went to the card not the acct- my plans for schedualed payments to the end was fubarred- my last 'auto' payment was short a few bucks and the bastards charged me ~ 40$ in interest-on the ENTIRE AMT!!

I filed a dispute and was informed i failed to pay for that one extra item-

I was supposed to go to the acct every month to be sure PP was not messing with me-- my bad.

they need to put the card balance on the home PP page- not hide it someplace so you wont notice the change in balance-- takes several steps to find it==WHY??

I know i'm getting old and easier to 'fake out'. but this is happening to millions of other PP card/acct. holders-

hak
:wtf::tsk:

:yabbmad::scowl:
:banghead:

when you, can boycott POOPPAL_ send checks or MO any time you can-

there will of course be times when you have no choice -- BUT between forum members ..wtw .i take it as an insult when a member refuses to pay me any way but PP--

what happened to me cannot happen to you unless you open a PP Card- once mine is paid off I am getting rid of it -

Wow... good lookin out!!
My GF works at Nordstrom and people are always coming in with the "Returns" scams! There seems to be a new way to do it every month.

Yeah, switching to your preferred payment method is a pain, but for me it's worth it because I switch to my own credit card just so that Paypal gets to pay for that transaction fee. I do hate that "oh do you want to use the PP credit?" bullshit.

Thanks for the warning Hak. I also dislike that PayPal card option which is why I don't have one so this kinda stuff won't happen. I loath our bullshit credit financial system which IMO is in place to enslave the populace with debt. They've been doing this since currency was invented. Easiest way to keep people from standing up against these governments and bankers is to keep them in debt. This isn't CT Mumbai jumbo this is fact.
For these reasons I don't own a credit card and am a cash only businessman. I am fortunate to be able to exist exclusively on paper currency. I don't buy with debit cards other than on line.

I don't like money orders or wire transfer because IMO they leave you completely vulnerable to scams or bad business practices. I don't like some of pay pals methods or eBay but in over 400 purchases they have all gone smoothly and have defended me and helped me when a transaction wasn't as it should.

At least with PayPal you have someone in your corner during a dispute and sellers in eBay have always but once bent over backwards to make good. That's my personal experience I understand this isn't the case for everyone.

Last edited:

rhd

I didn't really understand what the scam is here. This would have benefited greatly from a TL,DR.

That said, I've got an ages old PayPal account that always had CC and bank account connected. I got sick of switching the account each and every payment, so I called PP and had them remove the bank account. Now I only have CCs on my account, and there's zero frustration when I pay with PP.

Encap

You take you chances/risks with non-banking system, 4th party money transmitters.
PayPal doesn't engage in banking-like activities any more than, say, Wal-Mart does.

PayPal's "credit" program, is a co-branded feature with GE Financial, that is backed by GE Financial's own capital, not the money kept on deposit by PayPal's users.

Suffering their marketing is part of it.

Have a look at this---has some good points about paypal: PayPal Problems & PayPal Answers!

To make usre i wasn't trippin' i have paid for three more items and each time the same-
they may tll me ist a defaut thing- perhaps due to no funds in PP acct. - but my bank does instant transfer so.. why must I swtich options not once but three times before its finally paid-
under which shell is the pea?
for whatever reason -real or imagnary- PP is messing with me when i pay- on that there is not argument.

I may do as rhd did- BTW when this was going on did you have the PP ccard thing? I do have a debit card attached as well as my bank- and the PP card- its apparently lonely and wants to be used- thnaks for all your views- -

I used SCAM to get readers/feedback thanks
= maybe not blatant scam but confusing as hell and easy to under pay/over charge''
and THEN that 'no interest' thing is off the table--

and lose track of when the payments are correct to get the 'no interest'

I have contacted PP before this thread and they too, i guess, have 'no interest' ....in replying to me..
hak

Last edited:

sinner

Unfortunately I know first hand what Hak is trying to say, there are traps with fancy names just to get you to take more loans / debt so the financial system can flourish while the human life goes under it. It is painful to hear all these stories popping up of people who have spent almost all their lives under these schemes and will never know the meaning of true freedom..

I didn't really understand what the scam is here. This would have benefited greatly from a TL,DR.

That said, I've got an ages old PayPal account that always had CC and bank account connected. I got sick of switching the account each and every payment, so I called PP and had them remove the bank account. Now I only have CCs on my account, and there's zero frustration when I pay with PP.

I didn't really understand what he meant either. My PayPal always let's me change the default to my own card. But I think it has something to do with the PayPal credit card? Which I don't have and do not want. So I'm sorry if I don't understand very well. It's probably best to go for the big four banks' credit cards directly and not ones issued by other banks but offered through other parties

sinner

Its just amazing how blatant they are, not admitting wrongdoing but settling the case anyway..

Encap

Hak:
Another article confirming PayPal deceptive practices similar to what you wrote about appeared today: PayPal Credit Deception Exposes a Larger Problem

It says in part:
"The online payment company reportedly enrolled customers in its credit service without their knowledge and even hit some with fees when a missed payment was its own website's fault, according to government accusations that signal the Obama administration expects Web businesses to gain more user consent.

The financial flap also highlights the potential for companies to take advantage of online consumers, who often swipe through or skip over user agreements and terms and conditions in their hurry to access a game or service.

"We are so used to clicking through a notification online that we might not notice the details," says Gil Luria, a managing director for research with WedBush Securities."

since then i have needed to click away from PPCCard option 3 times each buy- when you move to next step- its back to card option- click '
pay from bank' click next- and i have to choose 'option', wait ands switch once more and only then can I click pay w/ bank again-- and its far from being clearly seen- very little color contrast between small font and background- looks like they want me to miss that-
I am going to try and get back the interest that PP charged me.

-- dont think anyone NOT having the PP credit card will see this problem.

but if you do have that card- be sure that your selection of paymeny method is followed and that means checking it again after EACH & EVERY step- if you miss 'the switch' you cannot change it back to any other option.. but you can just go and pay it off with your debit- other credit or bank balance. To me it looks like seeing your PPCC balance is intentinally hard- it does NOT juast pop up and do NOT expect a reminder about making the min. payment- forget this just one time and you get charged interest on the entire amt charged- even, afaik, If its your last payment on the charge.. thats not right!

hak