Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sanwu 60mW 488nm Pocket Laser Review

Hi all,

Here is a review of the Sanwu "Pocket" laser, the 60mW 488nm laser pointer.

Packaging:

The goods came in an anti-static bag, which was contained in 3 layers of bubble wrap enveloppes. The anti static bag contains a microfibre cloth, battery and the laser.
Unfortunately the battery was over discharged on arrival so I cannot take multiple lasers operating at the same time. Francis told me that he would send me another battery so hopefully the situation will be resolved soon.

The laser itself

The design is very clean. I personally like it a lot compared to my other "Torchlight" looking lasers.
The body I believe is stainless steel.

The aperture, I think it could have looked even better if the front face was levelled. (The middle inner hollow cylinder might be the heatsink). The focus is adjustable, which would be useful for more powerful versions of the Sanwu pocket series if you plan on burning stuff with this.

The button is a click on / click off which is flushed within the case of the laser. The rear has also a small drilled hole which may be used to attach a lanyard.

Beam quality

I think this is where the laser shines (yes, that was a pun).
This is rough measurements but:
  • @ 0.02m Beam diameter: ~5 mm
  • @ 0.3m Beam diameter: ~4.25 mm
  • @ 3.85m Beam diameter: ~3 mm
Estimated beam divergence: -0.34 mm / meter. (-0.34mRad).

At 60mW, the 488nm has a beam visible in mildly lit rooms and is fully visible at night.

Here's a terrible picture of the beam in my corridor where I measured the beam divergence.

Here is a picture of the beam colour at 488nm on an improvised smoke machine (my rice cooker). I think it's one of my favourite colours yet. Unfortunately due to the power output I can't use it for presentations at work so it's going to stick with me.

You can also see the naturally visible beam on darker backgrounds in the very brightly lit kitchen (I had 3 spotlights on when taking this picture).

Verdict:

Hardware
I'm very happy with this laser. It is very well built. I would buy another one, if Sanwu could make a yellow one (593/589nm) in the same casing.

Service
I am still trying to get the battery issue resolved. Francis got back to me this morning when I mailed him on Wednesday. It could be due to Chinese new year so I am not to bothered by it.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

I appreciate your review, it is great to see a member from 2007 post again ,sanwu has always had a good quality with countless compliments, you were right to choose this company as the place to restart your passion

It's true, I just realised you can focus the lens. I was going to unscrew the battery cap and I realised I was turning the other end.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks for the review, Helioplasma! :)
I agree, those Sanwu pocket series lasers are a nice clean design, and the 488nm wavelength is one of my favorites also.

I hope you get the battery issue straightened out, I sure Sanwu will work with you on a solution.

JamesD28

Awesome review. Of all the shades of blue there are, colours at the cyan end of the spectrum are definitely the loveliest to me.
It seems Sanwu are very well liked here and I've heard great reviews of them elsewhere, but their pocket series seems especially appealing. Something about the clean, featureless metal case makes me think of a little piece of alien technology. :p

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Nice review Heloplasma. (y)
Definitely got to love a Sanwu pocket with a 488 in it. :p

Very nice review. I see you got a Trustfire battery. That is not a good thing as those are notorious for being crap. I hope you didn't have to pay much for that battery. :eek:

Very nice review. I see you got a Trustfire battery. That is not a good thing as those are notorious for being crap. I hope you didn't have to pay much for that battery. :eek:

Well the more difficult issue is that lithium batteries aren't normally shipped to the UK due to postal regulations. The regulations would only allow lithium batteries to be shipped with or contained in the devices.
I would have bought it from Amazon or DX if they did if possible as they are cheaper in bulk, hence why I ordered a battery to come with it.

You must be able to buy these batteries from somewhere in the UK. Anything would be better than a Trustfire battery. They are garbage, plain and simple. If you paid anything at all for it......it was too much.

very nice, i was just playing with my 488nm Pocket yesterday. Podo does great work. which Is funny because I never play with it in fear of dropping it and breaking it. lol! but when I do use it it still amazes me to know I have a wavelength that just a couple years ago was over $1000.

Snecho

Yep, older thread but I would think It's relevant to say I've heard TrustFires in the 10440 size are actually pretty good.