Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sanwu 488nm G7 Pocket Laser Review

Hi All:

Gazen suggested that I also post my review here. My Sanwu 488 nm G7 Pocket Laser arrived late Thursday, and I’d like to make it the subject of my first LPF review. I apologize for the less than stellar photo quality. I used my iPhone 5S camera, as I had trouble setting up my Canon T3/1100B. They're not the best image quality, but the color is pretty accurate. I'm sure the next review will have the HD imaging that this laser deserves.

It arrived sealed in a Static Shielding Bag which was packaged inside two additional padded shipping bags. The host was pristine and, like all Sanwu Pocket Lasers, is made from virtually seamless stainless steel. The laser’s recorded wavelength, as measured by Sanwu, is 488 nm.

Freshly charged EBL 10440 3.7 V 350 mAh Li-ion batteries were used for all tests and measurements.

The beam is bright with tight collimation, and the spot is a clean circle. Its color is gorgeous sky blue, without any trace of green. It is clearly visible indoors, even with the interior lighting on.

Optical Power was measured by a Lasersbee AX3 LPM over 45 second periods in order to remain within the laser’s recommended duty cycle. Peak Power measurements averaged 47 mW using the factory installed G7 lens that I requested. The laser felt a little warm at the end of each 45 second period, but never hot to the touch.

Overall I’m impressed with this very nice addition to Sanwu’s Pocket Laser series. As many of you have already stated, this WL is particularly beautiful and unique, and I’m very happy to add it to my laser collection. Thank you for your time and interest. Please Be Well and Take Care. :D

-cd

Sanwu 488nm G7 Pocket Laser Uwrapped
attachment.php

Beam Shot Toward Laser
attachment.php

Beam Shot From Laser
attachment.php

Gazen

Thanks for the review :D

The build quality on those pockets are great, and the wavelength is too, enjoy it!

+rep

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Nice review, cyberdoc! :beer:
Glad to see you guys are finally starting to get your 488nm's delivered; these 488-495nm wavelength diodes are beautiful to see. :yh:

Radim

Nice review. I wish Sanwu has finished their RGB host. I'm planning to get it with some pockets. Still too much projects in my head and notes and only a thin laser collection. :crackup:

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Yes, several watts of 488-490 would be pretty.

Agreed, that would be definitely be awesome, another development that would be fantastic is a multi watt 589-593nm; although this would be much harder to accomplish.
While we're dreaming, just imagine having your very own portable "guide star" :cool:

Agreed, that would be definitely be awesome, another development that would be fantastic is a multi watt 589-593nm; although this would be much harder to accomplish.
While we're dreaming, just imagine having your very own portable "guide star" :cool:

:drool:
would you rather have a multimode 2 watt 589nm, a Multimode 2 watt 488nm, or a Multimode 2 watt 620nm? those are all stunning wavelengths so that's a toughie. I think we all can almost agree that we all would like to see a direct yellow :)

I love the simplicity of their pocket line. Thank you for the review and taking the time to do power measurements. :D

Has anyone attempted to re-purpose this host with a different driver and/or diode?

Multimode 488: YES
Direct Yellow: YES

Yes. Yes!

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
:drool:
would you rather have a multimode 2 watt 589nm, a Multimode 2 watt 488nm, or a Multimode 2 watt 620nm? those are all stunning wavelengths so that's a toughie. I think we all can almost agree that we all would like to see a direct yellow :)

As Lew said, yes, yes to all of the above! If I had to pick only one, it would still probably be the 589nm, it's been my favorite for years.
I would take the 488nm or 620nm in a heartbeat though; the 620nm is something that I haven't thought of in while, it would be nice to see any power in that wavelength!

GSS

I love the simplicity of their pocket line. Thank you for the review and taking the time to do power measurements. :D

Has anyone attempted to re-purpose this host with a different driver and/or diode?

Multimode 488: YES
Direct Yellow: YES

Yes. Yes!
488nm and 589nm yes..I don't find 620nm to be anything to nice though..

Hey second time today that you read my mind Bow!

Last edited:
i would take 620 as i would love so much a nice beamshot of a real orange light

620 would probably be very red still. I've heard people with tunable HeNe's say they often mistake the 612nm line for the 632.8nm line. I'd much rather 605nm.

__

Fitting another diode/driver shouldn't be terribly hard. Un-pressing a diode is easy, especially if you don't care if the diode makes it. I'll ask my buddy to bring his pocket over sometime this week and see if a nano driver or a micro flex would fit into it. We disassembled it a little bit to see if we could pot mod the driver, only took a minute to take apart.