Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Safe-Green Laser To Scare/Chase Geese Off Property?

Husker

Geese Control!

I've used a Red Cat Toy Laser and it seems to scare the Geese off, only at Night.

I want a Green Laser that will not Blind them during the day and or night...Does such a thing even exist?

Don't wanna spend a lot of money.

I would like recommendations for something that is simple/safe to operate and uses rechargeable batteries.

Last edited:

Snecho

Try This

It won't blind them if you don't shine it in their eyes.

Reactions: GSS

GSS

Not a bad idea to try as these 303 are priced nice.
Only issue might be is they are DPSS lasers and i they don't work well in the cold.

Husker

Well did you look? While I'm at it what's a "I don't lot of money"?

Seriously, I’ll humor you...Of course I looked...Im still looking!!!

While I’m at it, if you want to quote me>Then learn how to copy & paste that way you’ll get it right!

GSS

I would get a lower powered 520 such as PL520 or PLB520 at anywhere from 80mw to 120mw.
It will work in the hot and cold weather. Not to much power to blind them but enough to scare. At a 100 feet away the spot will be to wide to hurt them and like I had mentioned when I tried on the seagulls the laser wasn't even near them before they took off, but they kept coming back to the spot. Just how much you might have to repeat the process to where maby the won't come back, I don't know?
Ask Lifetime17 about one of his. I know he doesn't favor this way but at 100mw and the distance involved you won't hurt them. In fact just waiving it below them or around them, they will fly away.

Husker

I would get a lower powered 520 such as PL520 or PLB520 at anywhere from 80mw to 120mw.
It will work in the hot and cold weather. Not to much power to blind them but enough to scare. At a 100 feet away the spot will be to wide to hurt them and like I had mentioned when I tried on the seagulls the laser wasn't even near them before they took off, but they kept coming back to the spot. Just how much you might have to repeat the process to where maby the won't come back, I don't know?
Ask Lifetime17 about one of his. I know he doesn't favor this way but at 100mw and the distance involved you won't hurt them. In fact just waiving it below them or around them, they will fly away.

Are lasers less lethal the farther out? I understand extremely close range like pointing it at your own hand or face but at 100– 300+ feet away would just become a beam of light or is it still dangerous at long distance. I’m scared to purchase an eBay cheapie because Of not knowing how it’s built and I don’t want to harm myself or anyone else.

I landed on a website (jet lasers.com) the PL-E Mini 532nM 200mW. green laser looked interesting. I didn’t see a lower MW offered on that site but they look like they may be a reputable/quality outfit??

GSS

With a normal lens without special beam expanders yes the beam spreads out wide over distance.
Jet-lasers is a top notch company. That 200mW mini will probably do closer to 300mW's. Most of their 532's usually come in overspec..

Putting a beam expander on a laser will reduce the divergence to allow the beam to remain tighter further away, so the intensity will be greater, but put a big enough expander on a low enough power pointer and you may reach a point where the beam is less dangerous a few hundred yards out, but don't ask me to do the math, I hardly want to do that for my own wonderings and have to wear a special hat as it is.

Husker

With a normal lens without special beam expanders yes the beam spreads out wide over distance.
Jet-lasers is a top notch company. That 200mW mini will probably do closer to 300mW's. Most of their 532's usually come in overspec..
Besides jet – lasers what other companies are considered top-notch?

Obviously I don’t know much about lasers other than I need one To try and control the geese that are out of hand where I live. I’m reaching out and trying to tap and everyone’s mind so I don’t have to spend weeks/months/years trying to learn everything about the hobby. I already have so many hobbies and I know once you get involved there’s no turning back and you never seem to find the holy Grail. So, I thank you and others for taking me by the hand and trying to show me the correct door to open!

Husker

Putting a beam expander on a laser will reduce the divergence to allow the beam to remain tighter further away, so the intensity will be greater, but put a big enough expander on a low enough power pointer and you may reach a point where the beam is less dangerous a few hundred yards out, but don't ask me to do the math, I hardly want to do that for my own wonderings and have to wear a special hat as it is.

First, I love your avatar.

I thought this was going to be easy (purchasing a laser) but the more research I do the more complicated it becomes!

I appreciate your help and others as well.

Seriously, I’ll humor you...Of course I looked...Im still looking!!!

While I’m at it, if you want to quote me>Then learn how to copy & paste that way you’ll get it right!
I was having fun with you. We members love to help those that have apparently done some homework.
Your only option I think is a non diode pumped solid state (dpss) laser with a
beam expander attachment. Green dpss don't like cold temps. Unfortunately it's not going to be inexpensive. Lasers in daylight are less effective. A thought. Specifically designed bird deterrent balloons are an option.

Last edited: