Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

RPL use

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking of buying a RPL but I want to make sure I will want it a month down the road. So what do you guys use your high powered greens for?

Thanks

(I'm about to be at school so I may not always respond as fast...)

You're not supposed to ask that question :p

If you're not sure, why not start with a cheap green, maybe with some extra, like this?

Ah ok... I'll never be in for that sort of serious, so I'll pass...

In my own not-so-professional opinion, if you're going to spend $1450 on a laser, I'd buy a decent high-powered lab-style unit. Then you can use it to build a scanner, which I guarantee you won't have any trouble finding uses for.. to me $1450 is too much for a laser pointer when you could build an entire scanner for that much..

Once again, this is just my opinion..

As the owner of a Hercules that does over 500mW as well as several lab-style lasers and stepper/scanner displays, I have to be honest and agree with Elektrofreak to a point... There is a lot more flexibility and versatility to owning a big laser in a lab style, especially compared with non-TEC handhelds that have a duty cycle like the RPL's, etc (I have used my herc for experimentation, etc many times in lieu of a labby, but the herc has forced-air cooling, no duty cycle, external power input, etc so it's really a whole different beast)...

Trust me, you'll pop, burn, illuminate, etc just about everything for about a month (good call on the time frame) but you'll soon realize there are only so many people you can "ooh and aaah" with your big RPL safely (because let's face it, there really is no safe way to show off a 300, 400 or more mW laser except in relatively controlled conditions) - then you can spend some more money for a beam expander, etc etc but that'll wear off too eventually, so the end result is you'll either end up with a big-ass laser you hardly find a safe time and place to use, or you'll compromise safety using it as a "toy" and then god only knows where that may lead.

Big lasers are powerful, beautiful, and highly dangerous. If you are willing to accept the responsibility that goes with that, then decide which way to go. The only thing a labby cant do that a handheld can is go places it probably shouldn't be anyways. Look into a Lab-Style!

I see what you mean. After a month it would probably get old...

I really want portability though. And the fact that the output is adjustable is nice.

Build an entire scanner huh? What scan speed are we talking and what is the power of the laser? And what dac? (or is it a DMX?)

Thanks

Here.. I'll throw you some links:

Galvo set w/DMX show board (for DMX control): http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350201567216QQssPageNameZMERC_VIC_RCRX_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=350199210152&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m183&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%252BSS%26itu%3DISS%252BUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D4

Laser: http://cgi.ebay.com/Green-laser-diode-module-100mW-DPSS-TEC-for-stage-light_W0QQitemZ170322622014QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27a804f63e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

And that's just the cheap stuff.

With your budget, if you look around, you could build a decent 200-250mW (gross output) RGY system with 30-40k scanners and possibly even get a DAC and some software to control it from your PC too. You could even build a RGV system using a homemade violet labby if you're so inclined.. $1450 is a decent budget for a scanner. You should be able to do something pretty nice..

Here's a great sticky that lays the basics of scanners out pretty well:
http://laserpointerforums.com/laser_pointer_forums_3/forum/showthread.php?t=32674

Last edited:
Something to look at possibly would be the new "Deal" from O-like, Susie's selling an RPL-Style 500mW handheld for $519, her lasers are all guaranteed output and while the divergence might not be impeccable like a true RPL, the savings are incredible, her customer service is second to none, and at that price, you'd be in a better position to recoup your investment if you don't find yourself lasing as often as you thought you would...

www.o-like.com - it's right on the homepage

Jacks rpl have a duty cycle to...... the cut off is only for the battery not an over temp protection plus by the time you have hit that you have seriously reduced the life of the diode

I own an rpl 450 and a 30x beam expander but I wish I would have saved bit more and gotten a herc just because of the power adapter ant tlc so I could have made a scanner while still having a portable lasers

as a matter of fact I will sell you my 450 for 1000$ and it comes with 4 18650 batteries and the optics kit.... I have had it for about idk 6 months now probably only has 10hrs of use on it with the 5min on 3 min off duty cycle/ the unlimited duty cycle is for power lvl 5..... I had a 425 black then upgraded to a 450 silver I have the locking and adjustable tale cap...... pm me if you want to buy

still your temp is high and it would damage its self i believe..... at least the way carter was telling me and you can read on jacks website the cut off is for the batteries not the laser so you would have to use your own judgment
5 min at 80 'f would be ok
5 min at 110'f would probably not be ok
1 min at 110'f might be ok
u can ask some of the previous member who had theirs on at full power for over 20 min and their lasers just got warm to the touch but the beam had stabilized at about 300mw i believe it was an rpl 400 in a 75'f house the worst you will do is knock a few hours off your 80000 hour life span but even at your 5/2.5 min duty cycle if it did last 80000 hours that would be 13.3 years of use not including changing out the batteries so you got some time to use.

i can leave my rpl 375 on till the battery dies no problem i have went as long as ten minutes with it after that it needs another battery would i buy another RPL heck yea as soon as i have more money i was thinking of a lab unit this time plus you get the very best warranty and service availible from a usa laser company optotronics ROCKS

Last edited:
Lol no i didn't get it off jack, I stold it off e bay for 200$ shipped : )
And well if you imagine .026 divergence then yes its that awesome : ) 30mm beam for almost ever : )