Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Rog8811 on Hack-A-Day

So i loaded the front page of hackaday only to find a laser cigaret lighter. Im pretty sure ive seen it before, so i clicked on the link and as it turns out it was rog8811 from the forums! Heres what they had to say about it.

HackADay

"[rog8811] shared his laser lighter with us. he has gutted a zippo style lighter and inserted a blue ray laser module. the old fuel compartment houses the batteries. this is pretty cool, though it might take forever to actually light a cigarette with it. his build log is quite nice with diagrams and detailed pictures of the whole process. our question is simple, why haven’t we seen this on a james bond film? too bad he couldn’t use a stronger laser, like from a laser cutter. we know they do a fine job of cutting pizzas."

Its on the front page of www hackaday com
Congrats on the laser and making the cover of hackaday its no small accomplishment!

Attachments

• lser.jpg
    lser.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 172

Ieon

Wow!

It's a long range zippo for blinding people on the other side of the world for the military, or you can light your cigar.

Benm

I think the long range danger is quite limited because it probably focuses the light close in front of the lens - so across a room its just a very big circle on the wall.

Still a dangerous thing to use though, but at least mostly so for the person holding it :)

daguin

Benm said:
I think the long range danger is quite limited because it probably focuses the light close in front of the lens - so across a room its just a very big circle on the wall.

Still a dangerous thing to use though, but at least mostly so for the person holding it :)

I think Rog said that it is actually shining down into the top to terminate the beam

Peace,
dave

Congrats on the laser and making the cover of hackaday its no small accomplishment!

I was chuffed when I noticed Hackaday had taken it up, I noticed it when hits on the video started to climb quickly :).

I think Rog said that it is actually shining down into the top to terminate the beam

That was the original idea Dave, but when I put it together like that it was difficult to use so what I decided to do was to set the beam a couple of mm above the lid so that all you need to do is hold whatever you want to light or burn against the lid.
It makes it great for engraving as you can just lay the edge of the lid on the surface for perfect focus as you move it around :)
I would say it is no less eye safe than any other laser, if you look at the video on metacafe you will see I do not hold the cigar in my mouth when lighting it.

Regards rog8811

Ieon

rog8811 said:

I was chuffed when I noticed Hackaday had taken it up, I noticed it when hits on the video started to climb quickly :).

That was the original idea Dave, but when I put it together like that it was difficult to use so what I decided to do was to set the beam a couple of mm above the lid so that all you need to do is hold whatever you want to light or burn against the lid.
It makes it great for engraving as you can just lay the edge of the lid on the surface for perfect focus as you move it around :)
I would say it is no less eye safe than any other laser, if you look at the video on metacafe you will see [highlight]I do not hold the cigar in my mouth when lighting it.[/highlight]

Regards rog8811

FINALLY, I've watched video's of people lighting cigars in their mouth with a laser, and now finally somone doing it the RIGHT way, I feel sorry for all the idiots lighting cigars in their mouth with a laser untill one day their hand slips and there eyes feel a little warm then its all black.

Hey Rog....
I just saw the Video... :eek:
That's an amazing Blu-Ray Laser Lighter build... [smiley=thumbsup.gif] ;)

Jerry

Rog8811 always with his simple and brilliant ideas! [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

Hug,
Andre

Thanks guys,
[rant on] I have had 7,800 hits (from the US) on my video in 2 days, how many of those would you think gave me less than 3 stars?
I can only go on messages recieved and how this has been picked up all over the place that people like it and would guess that if you like it you would give it 5 stars.

It has been noticed that, since the new rules came in, only a couiple of producers have managed to make money. the following has happened to others

The powers that be decide that it is not unique (does not apply to mine)
It infringes copyright (does not apply to mine)
It did not get enough stars (looks like mine is heading that way)

Funny how every one of my videos, produced before the change, has 4+ stars
and both the videos produced after the change are at 3+ and falling the nearer to 20,000 hits they get.

I call foul! [/Rant over]

Regards rog8811