Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Rigel HV 589 VS GLP-589

gbp007

Im looking to order a 589mw yellow laser pointer and wanted to know which one should i get between the rigel hv 589 or glp-589 ? Are they pretty much the same laser and with the same housing or is there a difference between both ?

D

Deleted member 22482

Im looking to order a 589mw yellow laser pointer and wanted to know which one should i get between the rigel hv 589 or glp-589 ? Are they pretty much the same laser and with the same housing or is there a difference between both ?

Rigel HV is the name that Laserglow sells them under. It's the same laser, Laserglow just buys in the lasers, verify the quality and so on and then sells them on.

Laserglow is a bit more expensive even though they are the same laser, but they provide better support, can verify the quality and so on which CNI can't. CNI is like the baddest company ever when it comes to customer service. You can't send them an e-mail and expect an answer. You should think, if I am lucky, I am atleast sent an automated e-mail.

Go with Laserglow. Much better.

AFAIK LaserGlow gets their modules from CNI. That being said certain models of the Rigel-HV are out of stock right now and will be out of stock for months (I just inquired yesterday before making my purchase (Rigel-6)).

IMO you can't go wrong with LaserGlow.

If you are interested though I did find another source for a 589nm handheld. DragonLasers Spartan Series - 5mW for $400.

Hi Sig,

I've listed the specs of the 5mW orange Spartan below

Batteries - 1 x 18650 Li-ion lithium
Duty cycle - 1 min on and 30 sec off
Mode - CW
IR filter - yes
Dimensions - 26mm x 180mm
Mode - near TEM00
Beam diameter - 2mm
Divergence - >1.8mm

Diameter and divergence do vary a little from laser to laser but normally
around the values given above.

Cheers
Frank
Green Lasers, Laser Beam Optics, Lab Laser Equipments :: Dragon Lasers

Man go with LaserGlow. You'll get 100% quality product plus fast Shipping.

CNI Custumer services Sucks, I have got 2 times Crappy lasers from them. I bought it at summer 2011, and I'm still waiting for a Working Product. :(

If you go with Dragonlasers or other CNI Reseller i'm not sure if you get quality laser.

Last edited:

Roam

AFAIK LaserGlow gets their modules from CNI. That being said certain models of the Rigel-HV are out of stock right now and will be out of stock for months (I just inquired yesterday before making my purchase (Rigel-6)).

IMO you can't go wrong with LaserGlow.

If you are interested though I did find another source for a 589nm handheld. DragonLasers Spartan Series - 5mW for $400.

If you mean this one: Spartan Series 5mW Orange Handheld Laser :: Orange Handheld Laser --- 589nm Laser ----- Spartan Series Lasers :: Handheld Lasers :: Dragon Lasers

It is listed under 589 nm, but they describe it as orange. And I'm not sure if it really is a 589 nm. Because orange really means ~593 not 589!

Similarly this one is another yellow at 3 mW: Yellow Laser Pointer ------- 589nm Laser ----- Aurora Series Lasers :: Handheld Lasers :: Dragon Lasers

But again they say "orange" in the brackets even though it is under the 589 nm directory. I've sent them an email last month asking for confirmation but no replies yet.

Cheers,

Last edited:
I'd go with Laserglow, as it's been echoed a few times now, they get them from CNI, it's basically like buying chicken from the farm that doesn't reply to your attempts at getting info, or the grocery store after it's been verified and all the facts are there for you. In an odd sort of way. Plus their service in impeccable, I inquired about my Lyra gold mode hopping, and after sending them pictures of the TEM01 "dot(s)", they sent me a return label to send it back. Their shipping is awesome too, the prices are high, but well worth the pretty penny. I've heard nothing but good things about them, plus it's easier to get it from them rather than going through an extensive email process with CNI. I'd say it's an easy decision. Or wait for another CNI GB if there is one, maybe you can get it discounted, depends on if you're willing to wait though.

rhd

It is listed under 589 nm, but they describe it as orange. And I'm not sure if it really is a 589 nm. Because orange really means ~593 not 589!

Similarly this one is another yellow at 3 mW: Yellow Laser Pointer ------- 589nm Laser ----- Aurora Series Lasers :: Handheld Lasers :: Dragon Lasers

But again they say "orange" in the brackets even though it is under the 589 nm directory. I've sent them an email last month asking for confirmation but no replies yet.

Bah, silliness I say.

The 589 vs 593.5 colour difference is incredibly minute. It's nearly impossible to see with the eye. It is CERTAINLY not substantial enough to call them different colours.

I don't much know whether either of them should be called "yellow" or "orange", but whatever they should be called, it should be the same thing ;)

If I were buying a 589, and I will be eventually, I would go with one of the CW units. I really don't like the fact that the Rigel HV's are pulsed. I can understand pulse mode if the frequency is REALLY high (>1kHz) but a 700Hz pulse is silly, I'm sure you can see that when you wave it around.

I don't know if LaserGlow's handheld 589's are CW or pulsed off hand, but I know their GLPs are pulsed. Aside from that LG really has astounding customer service, I'm really surprised how helpful and responsive they are.

Oh, one nice thing about 589 vs 593.5/594.1; 589 is the sodium D line!

Roam

If I were buying a 589, and I will be eventually, I would go with one of the CW units. I really don't like the fact that the Rigel HV's are pulsed. I can understand pulse mode if the frequency is REALLY high (>1kHz) but a 700Hz pulse is silly, I'm sure you can see that when you wave it around.

I don't know if LaserGlow's handheld 589's are CW or pulsed off hand, but I know their GLPs are pulsed. Aside from that LG really has astounding customer service, I'm really surprised how helpful and responsive they are.

Oh, one nice thing about 589 vs 593.5/594.1; 589 is the sodium D line!

All pen like 589 nm laser pointers like that are pulsed. But Rigel HV handheld 589's at LG are a continuous-wave, CW.

All pen like 589 nm laser pointers like that are pulsed. But Rigel HV handheld 589's at LG are a continuous-wave, CW.

That's not true.
I ordered a 589nm GLP from CNI a while back. It was rated for 5mW, peaked at 16mW and averaged 10-11mW and was CW, not pulsed.

gbp007

Thanks for the help, best decision for me would have to be to just order it from laserglow, mostly because customer service is very important to me..I emailed laserglow as to when they were going to have it in stock and they replied that it would be back in stock in early march which is this month :)

Last edited:
Regarding the Rigel-HV being pulsed: Lately, all the new ones we've been getting are pulsed. You will most likely get a pulsed one. Some people might not like that you can see the pulses when you wave it around, but I think it looks more cool that way! :p

In any case, the pulsing makes the output more stable and overall leads to a more reliable product.

We're having difficulty keeping these things in stock, because every time we get some in they sell out very quickly. If you're really sure that you want one and are buying it from us, you can still place an order for a backordered item. We'll ship it to you as soon as we get them in and tested, and you don't have to check the site every day to see if they're in stock yet.