Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Rifle Host (Arctic Lookalike) 1W and 800mW from Lazerer.com Side by Side with Arctic

Re: Rifle Host (Arctic Lookalike) 445nm 800mW from Lazerer.com Side by Side with Arct

No problem :beer: Sometimes I can't convey what I'm trying explain very well but pictures always help to clear it up :)

It's kind of a crude fix but it works...

Re: Rifle Host (Arctic Lookalike) 445nm 800mW from Lazerer.com Side by Side with Arct

Update:

Got notice in mail box for pickup of the true 1W version - this one uses two 16340 batteries instead of one 18650. Hopefully it will also fit 18350 batteries as well:)

I'll pick up the laser tomorrow morning and add LPM reading of this version as soon as possible. I'll also add pictures/descriptions if I notice anything else aside from the driver being different in the newer version.

WOW
SMALL HOST! (compared to the arctic)
cant believe i didnt see this thread earlier!
i was going to get the 1W rifle and have a lens upgrade, but now that you mention a V2...
i wonder how soon "soon" is :p
cant decide if i should get it now or wait for the "V2"...

Well the version that uses two 16340 batteries is already out... I'm picking it up in the morning from post office.

Now as for a genuine version 2.0 of this laser, idk could be a while. I mean literally thousands of these hosts/parts were made. On the other hand I think all the upgrades are doable with the current build. I guess we'll wait and see.

Besides, it is a business, and for now I bet the current models are selling well. You know the old mantra about fixing things that aren't really broken...

Anyway, LPM results tomorrow evening on version 1.1:)

yeah, im already aware about the 2X CR123
i was talking about the lens and modes upgrade :)
ill check back tomorrow and see the results
if i like it, then ill just buy it now :)

BTW:
you can get a lens upgrade (not G1, but still better than acrylic) for $13 here
AR coated glass lens for 405-445nm [M0004] - $12.99 : Modwerx Shop
seems that it should be an easy to do mod
PLUS it will bump up the output a bit more :eg:

Last edited:

OP Updated with new LPM chart and data.

Cosmetically the laser looks identical.

It is a true 1W laser... peaked at 1010mW and dropped down to 966mW over a 3 minute LPM test. I'm:D

Sweet. Thanks For the Update.:)

So What About the Driver and lens is that the same too.?

THis Looks like it turned out good.:beer:

He Listened to the forum. Not alot of companies do this.:wave:

Last edited:
Well the driver is interesting... it's a linear driver from what I can tell, and it does have a pot....

Now as for the lens, that looks to be the same although I can't seem to get in there to take a look.

Max told me they have turned the pot enough to get 1.5W out of this laser...

I think now that I have it, maybe you should take a look at it;)

Uhm, about the pot... thermal paste isn't even dry yet:p

Last edited:
OK I see. Yea would be Great to see it in person.;)

If its the Same Lens Then I bet you anything that thing would do 100-200mW More then it is Now.:D

From what I understood they metered all their lasers to make sure they were on-spec. :thinking: How come your first one was under-spec?

I like this host a lot. I always felt like I was carrying a pipe with the Arctic. I really like the convenience of pocketing my lasers.

BTW:
you can get a lens upgrade (not G1, but still better than acrylic) for $13 here
AR coated glass lens for 405-445nm [M0004] - $12.99 : Modwerx Shop
seems that it should be an easy to do mod
PLUS it will bump up the output a bit more :eg:

I just tried ordering this lens, and it's $12.99 + 29.95 S/H charges!! yikes!! :thinking:

Is there any other place I could get one that isn't so expensive?

OP Updated with new LPM chart and data.

Cosmetically the laser looks identical.

It is a true 1W laser... peaked at 1010mW and dropped down to 966mW over a 3 minute LPM test. I'm:D

Are you aware that you can save a Data Logged session Chart
with the EagleEye software as an Image File ( .jpg etc )...:thinking:

Just go to View\Chart.... and right click the Chart and choose
[Save Image As ...]

That chart image was not produced by the EagleEye software...;)

From what I understood they metered all their lasers to make sure they were on-spec. How come your first one was under-spec?

I like this host a lot. I always felt like I was carrying a pipe with the Arctic. I really like the convenience of pocketing my lasers.

They will supply a printed Power chart for your particular
Laser for IIRC $2.00.

The first ones were using only one battery and would only
put out ~800mW. Max changed the 1000mW Listings for
that Laser to 800mW when it came to light. The right thing
to do for a seller that listens to his customers...IMO

I like the smaller size of this Laser and it still has the Arctic
look.
It still feels pretty hefty in your hands... really not toy like
at all....

Jerry

Last edited:
From what I understood they metered all their lasers to make sure they were on-spec. :thinking: How come your first one was under-spec?

When I seen it compared to arctic, this one actually looks like a pocket laser :p

Last edited:

Basically Jerry already covered everything:p

Actually even before these lasers were sent out at all Max did say on the open forum in another thread that he expected the original lasers to do between 700mW and 1W. He since relisted them as 800mW instead of 1W, and even mine, which seems to have turned out on the low end, is still within 10% of 800mW.

It is a breath of fresh air to have a more budget laser seller who actually listens to his customers.

Compared to the regular arctic, I like this host A LOT more. It is on the border of what I consider to be pockeatable, but it is much more compact than the original arctic, and a better laser overall imho. This one I would stick in my pocket. If anyone wants I can take pictures next to some other common hosts to give a better sense of dimensions.

The heatsinking on it is not great... but it gets the job done just fine. The diffraction tips are icing on the cake... on a humid night it looks spectacular outside.

If you are after just the host though and plan to gut it, there was a red laser in the same host for quite a bit less, on fp i think.

I'll will be sending this laser to Lazeerer on thursday/friday, for his custom driver... so we'll have a more expert opinion on this laser as a whole soon I think;)

@Jerry - Didn't know that the software had that option... I used excel to create a scatter plot and added some effects:p

I just tried ordering this lens, and it's $12.99 + 29.95 S/H charges!! yikes!! :thinking:

Is there any other place I could get one that isn't so expensive?

WHAT?!
WOW, i thought it was free S+H
sorry, i didnt try to order one either
maybe ask around or post in the BST section for a 405/445 lens