Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

RGB hand-held laser

ABSOLUTELY an INGENIOUS & AMBITIOUS project. Awesome idea, I hope that it all works out OK. Your machining of the housing is EXCELLENT !!!!!
rob

This is impressive!

I don´t understand one thing though, why would you use multimode diodes for this? Dont you wanna get a nice white and round beam even if the power isnt great?

I love self sustained forum posters ;)
very impressive indeed.

Keep up the progress and update's on this for us!.

p.s. ^^If you ever sell it or planning on making more, i'm all into it.
''Talking $.... add numbers here ^^''

:gj:

Sm.

Cant believe i missed this thread :p groupbuy thread is taking away all my attention! Anyway i really love your machining. It is beautifull! One problem that i am thinking about is, how are you going to combine the three beams. With that i mean in divergence. The M-140 and the mitsu have a fat beam and the green module has a thin beam.

Concluding, if you would align them only the centre of the beam would be really white?!?

I dont know if what i am saying is making sense, as i have nog experience with combining the three elements of emitting white photon love :p :p lol

And @ smeerworst lol i knew you wanted this :beer: have you seen my pm concerning your gift? :)

Last edited:
Because when the option for burning is needed...its there :) for the one im doing at least....plus single mode has already been done with the white fusion

Hi All,
Thanks for the comments Rob.
Luxor, I'm using multimode because I wanted to have the laser with an output power that "matched" its size.... I have some ideas to tidy up the beam profile of the red and blue with optics and maybe crop a bit, with the multimodes there is some power to spare and efficiency is'nt the challenge here, as you say, sorting the beam to look good will be though.
( the other advantage is the mitsi and M140 are case neutral so it makes setting the polarity of the body simple - it has to be that of the green module.)

I think I'll first try to crop a bit of the beams, but with the much greater available space compared to smaller hosts I'll experiment with some other ideas I have - they are just buzzing noise from my spare brain cell at the moment though:D

The PCBs should arrive today / tomorrow and i'll make the LCD cover in 1-2 days also.

Smeerworst, I have made some extra "spare" parts :shhh: but at the moment don't dare suggest how much this thing is costing in case the wife reads this:crackup:
But if anyone does want one i'll look into it, but its a bit early yet as all I got is a pile of shiny pieces and its goto work first:eek:
it might all end up in the... :toilet: :D

More soon,
ATB
MM

Hi All,
Thanks for the comments Rob.
Luxor, I'm using multimode because I wanted to have the laser with an output power that "matched" its size.... I have some ideas to tidy up the beam profile of the red and blue with optics and maybe crop a bit, with the multimodes there is some power to spare and efficiency is'nt the challenge here, as you say, sorting the beam to look good will be though.
( the other advantage is the mitsi and M140 are case neutral so it makes setting the polarity of the body simple - it has to be that of the green module.)

I was looking into the pictures and I thought that corrective optics would be impossible in such a small space... I cant even imagine the nightmare man :eek:

Last edited:
I was looking into the pictures and I thought that corrective optics would be impossible in such a small space... I cant even imagine the nightmare man :eek:

Hi,

It's a different approach, but until I get everything set up I won't know if it will work.
My plan is to get it set up and working and then experiment with the correction to get the beam overlap better.

(Updated 1st post to show the PCB's)

ATB
MM.

Pretty advance work for someone who only been around for a little while. You have anything else done we can peek at I'm thinking you've done this kinda thing before.:wave:

Pretty advance work for someone who only been around for a little while. You have anything else done we can peek at I'm thinking you've done this kinda thing before.:wave:

Hi Jander,

I used to build laser show controllers as a hobby back in the late 80s early 90s, 6502 microprocessors, RGB even back then:whistle:.
My main trade is on the mechanical side of things, electronics is my hobby.
Scratch built a running gas turbine engine, but all this is a story for another time;).................

Didn't get the LCD cover machined this week :cryyy:....too busy but hope to do this Tues next week.
Most of components arrived today for the main control board, crikes this stuff is so small!!! so it's an electronics weekend....where's me soldering iron? (and my scalpel and hacking wire):D

ATB
MM

Scratch built a running gas turbine engine, but all this is a story for another time;).................
O my goodness please please please share this now :yh: ATM I work at a place that makes the real deal ones and I'd love to see one made from scratch.:beer:

Really a beautiful artistic/mechanical treasure you've been doing! Keep it up. :D

Really a beautiful artistic/mechanical treasure you've been doing! Keep it up. :D

Thanks MR, glad you like it.

I've updated the 1st post with photo of the finished LCD cover.
It needs a quick polish and it's a good un. When I get a moment, i'l power up the LCD with it mounted in the cover to see how it looks.

Next job is to machine the driver & main Up' board housing which connects the laser head to the battery tube. I've asked my brother to make this for me as he's the turner:thanks:

ATB
MM

Thanks MR, glad you like it.

I've updated the 1st post with photo of the finished LCD cover.
It needs a quick polish and it's a good un. When I get a moment, i'l power up the LCD with it mounted in the cover to see how it looks.

Next job is to machine the driver & main Up' board housing which connects the laser head to the battery tube. I've asked my brother to make this for me as he's the turner:thanks:

ATB
MM

Can't wait to see it all up and running.
This is taking DIY builds to a whole new level.

You can alway's contact me, when you plan on selling it or when making more of them :)

Cheers, Sm.

Man the machining on this thing i would not even call hobbying! Thats just pro action for sure!

You better hurry finishing this build! You have many people refreshing the OP every day :p

Greetings,,