Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Review: Vintage all-copper Bond build #1 (pic heavy)

Excellent! That turned out nice. The cleaned up host looks great. I like the thoughtful design of the completed laser.
I bet it's heavy, too.

Good job!

BTW Jeff always does awesome, precise work. It looks like he did a great job on the heatsink.

This is for sure one of the most beautiful lasers I have ever seen great job putting this all together Andy :gj: +4

I love the vintage builds. The hosts are so much nicer than a lot of what's available today.

Gotta get myself some of that copper finish. If you don't have any sort of coating over the copper it just goes back to the way it was in a few weeks... believe me :(

ped

Ingenious driver mounting , outstanding build.

Now THAT is beautiful !!! Vintage morph's into High Tech !!! Copper is such a beautiful metal....and...it is a complete PITA to mill..My hat is off to the designer and the machinist !!!! Very, Very Steampunk !!!! And...a great tutorial to boot !!!!!
Thank you !!!

CDBEAM=======>

Hey all,

Thanks to everyone for all of the kind words, and +rep. I really appreciate it, especially coming from so many vets.

I forgot to give props to rhd and ZRaffleticket, as their Ancient Light/Vintage Light builds provided the inspiration for this build. Thanks guys. :beer:

Regarding the finish, I haven't clearcoated it, and don't plan to. I like the bare metal. I find that once you get the decades of old tarnish off, the finish actually doesn't deteriorate that quickly. I think the newer polishes help seal up and protect the metal somewhat, slowing the oxidation.

It does get a little bit of a darker pink hue to it as it oxidizes in the air, but nothing like the dull brown color it started out as. And you can just hit it again with a quick light hand polish to freshen it up whenever. It only takes a few minutes, and it's always fun to see that bright pink color again. :)

-Andy

PS - Thanks BowtieGuy for the battery tip. I'll have to try that.