Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

REVIEW: Brand New(to me) 405nm Laser!

IsaacT

Okay,

EDIT: I want it to be clear that I did not build this, but purchased it built from Cheech226.

So I put a Trade Feedback thread as a quick way to just share the great experience I had buying from Cheech226, but I wanted to just do a nice simple review of what I got; mainly to have more pics, but also so I have all the data in one place so I can link it in my sig and show off this sexy laser that I just cannot stop holding :crackup:

First, a little detail about the unit itself. It is a 405nm laser in a RL-118 SS host that was sourced from Jayrob via "Hot" option. The driver is set to 500mA, and as you can see from the LPM test below, it is right at 530mW or so at startup, making this my very first Class IV laser :drool:

LPMTEST_zps60a1142d.jpg

And here is a Pic of what I would be getting with a 405-G-1 lens from Jayrob....WANT!

LPMG_zpsa381abb9.jpg

Now, some pics of the host....you can always go to Jayrob's Build Kit for it to see pics of the host, but indulge me a bit will ya? :p

IMG_0286_zps3e3109e6.jpg

IMG_0285_zpse8b7d559.jpg

IMG_0287_zps69bd4f29.jpg

IMG_0288_zps1b1148be.jpg

As you can see from that last picture, it fits well in the hand(a bit like a cigar haha :crackup: ) My favorite part of this Host, other than the sleek exterior and shiny attributes, has to be the sheer weight of it! This thing has a very pleasing amount of mass, it doesn't feel like a cheap flashlight host AT ALL.

Now, how long do you think I could resist before shoving the batteries in and taking this thang for a test drive? :thinking: Answer? No time at all!

IMG_0272_zps4205d4da.jpg

IMG_0277_zps75a008b9.jpg

IMG_0269_zps1b7dd76a.jpg

This beam is so lovely! Now my girlfriend wants a "purple one", I feel like I may have gotten myself in trouble here.....lol. Now, I can't forget about my Diffraction grating!

IMG_0280_zpse82c8d26.jpg

OR MY URANIUM MARBLE!!!!

IMG_0278_zps7057aa26.jpg

And of course my other lasers wanted a group shot....don't worry, they had no way of rolling. One is flat, one has a clip, and the other was secured between them.

IMG_0284_zpsb06f2cf0.jpg

My 50mW Rayfoss isn't there cuz he's just not cool that way...also I only have 2 CR123A's.

And last but not least a small burning vid! Now...Cheech226 warned me to be very careful, as the beam is stronger than it looks...when the beam was about the size of a quarter(I defocused the beam to aim at the marble in my hand) I put the beam on my hand.....Lo and behold a little burning sensation made its way up to my brain and I realized "Holy Sh** this laser is serious bidniss!", which is why the pic I have has the laser going sideways at the marble instead of angled downward. Also, I used my leather(and scarred from lasers) wallet to focus this thing at a distance of about 15-20 feet, and before I realized it, it had started burning a literal hole through my wallet, and the edges of it were cherry'd orange. Needless to say I am impressed! +1 to science :beer:

And here is a quick video of it running and lighting matches nigh on instantaneously!

Overall, I am exceedingly happy with this laser, and it was well worth the cost IMHO. (If anybody wants to get rid of a 405-G-1 lens toss me a PM haha)

Thanks again to Cheech226 for the sale and being very prompt, hope yall enjoyed reading and looking as much as I enjoyed writing and posting.

-Isaac

Last edited:

Fiddy

Great job! that beam shot looks good, did you get a copper or aluminum heatsink?

IsaacT

It appears to be a copper heatsink actually, which was a surprise as I figured it was going to be an aluminum one.

And of course my other lasers wanted a group shot....don't worry, they had no way of rolling. One is flat, one has a clip, and the other was secured between them.

Good cause I was REEAAALLYY worried :crackup:

Sweet laser and very nice pics! The beam ambience gives that sci fi feel. Smoke, fog? And what kinda camera? :D

EDIT: If you threw some 445 in the group pic it would help that 405 look less blue and more purple :)

Last edited:

IsaacT

Ya, I wish I had a 445 to stick in there but I just cannot afford one yet. :/

As for the camera, it is a Canon Powershot SX130is. I got it about 8 month ago.

Thanks for looking :)
Isaac

What kind of camera did you use for the beam-shots? I have tried using two point and shoots with shutter speeds set on 10 seconds and 12 seconds, and still do not get a quality image. Are you using a DSLR?

What kind of camera did you use for the beam-shots? I have tried using two point and shoots with shutter speeds set on 10 seconds and 12 seconds, and still do not get a quality image. Are you using a DSLR?

Sorry, I just saw your last post; didn't see it at first.

Blord

You need smoke to create lightsabre like beams. You can see the haze around the beam.

You need smoke to create lightsabre like beams. You can see the haze around the beam.

Yes yes, smoke indeed! They are not that expensive from what I've seen; `I've thought about ordering one. Do you have other suggestions for taking good beam-shots without the use of fog (i.e. shutter speeds, other camera settings)?

Blord

A trick from me to create smoke : use the laser to burn some thick black plastic. Wave slowly to distribute the smoke and immediately take the picture.
You don't need to fill the whole room with smoke. :)

Last edited:

jayrob

Nice laser, sweet host...

Too bad UltraFire does not have that host any longer.

If anybody finds out different, please let me know, but about a month ago I ordered some direct from UltraFire, and then they refunded me saying that it is not in stock.

I only have one left, but it is my personal 635 build. Better hold on to it in case the host will not become available again...

Nice laser, sweet host...

Too bad UltraFire does not have that host any longer.

If anybody finds out different, please let me know, but about a month ago I ordered some direct from UltraFire, and then they refunded me saying that it is not in stock.

I only have one left, but it is my personal 635 build. Better hold on to it in case the host will not become available again...

The link I sent you was for a minimum order of 10.

This one accepts single orders, I've purchased from the the main site before and never had a problem :beer:

Ultrafire Rl-118 Osram Led Stainless Steel Flashlight - Buy Rl-118 Ssc-p7 Led Flashlight,Osram Led Light,2 Mode Light Product on Alibaba.com

http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1198

Last edited:

jayrob

Hope it's true, but I've tried 3 or 4 places like that (maybe that one - don't remember), and they take the sale only to tell you later that they can send a similar light...