Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

Review: 510nm Direct Green Diodes / Build Photos (DGH-N1, DGH-N2)

Ah - scratch that theory then. I figured it had something to do with bandgap voltage or something.

So you think those efficiency and voltage figures are here to stay?

Hopefully these come out in pico projectors soon, for what is likely around the current price of one of these diodes we could buy a pico projector with the green diode and also a single mode blue and 635. Though, out of a pico projector the wavelength will be >520. :(

We can only hope that the only way to get these green diodes above 520 is to bin them, and they end up pawning off huge lots of 505's, 510's, etc. for just the price of production ;)

(I can dream :p)

The efficiency will hopefully improve, but I think the basic electrical characteristics (Vf of between 7V and 8V) are probably not going to change for these diodes.

And Ben.. I think that's mostly what *these* diodes are already. I heard through the grapevine that >520nm IS available.. but at an extreme price increase.

What we will see is that as the technology improves, price will come down on the >520's, and these 'low wavelength' diodes will simply vanish as the manufacturing processes improve and they simply quit showing up in batches.

The efficiency will hopefully improve, but I think the basic electrical characteristics (Vf of between 7V and 8V) are probably not going to change for these diodes.

And Ben.. I think that's mostly what *these* diodes are already. I heard through the grapevine that >520nm IS available.. but at an extreme price increase.

What we will see is that as the technology improves, price will come down on the >520's, and these 'low wavelength' diodes will simply vanish as the manufacturing processes improve and they simply quit showing up in batches.

The price has already come down on those. They're called 532nm. J/K

But something just above 520nm probably won't look too much different than 532.

I bet there will be a difference in the look. Plus diode lasers have the benefit of of actually working every time you turn them on without being picky about temperature, etc.

Damn i came to quickly check the BST section before sleep and i see this thread.
I know i can have sweet dreams now! :)

Well, for now. These are still just "failed prototypes", essentially. I am sure the finished products would require a standard of... I dunno, 4V? It seems that the lower the wavelength, the more voltage is required, with blue being at 4.5V and red being at 3.5V, so green would probably be at around 4V. If my simplistic model of the technology works :P

Ah - scratch that theory then. I figured it had something to do with bandgap voltage or something.

Blue, violet, and green are all InGaN, but green is built on InGaN grown a different way and cut in a different dimension.

There are plenty of 8.4 V and 9.6V NIMH battery packs for RC cars. There a little bulky, so you might want to keep them external and just make a cord from the laser that plugs into the battery in your pocket. Otherwise you'll need a big host.

There are plenty of 8.4 V and 9.6V NIMH battery packs for RC cars. There a little bulky, so you might want to keep them external and just make a cord from the laser that plugs into the battery in your pocket. Otherwise you'll need a big host.

I can't see any appeal to using a NIMH power source, given that our concerns relate to needing a higher voltage supply.

NiMH are safer :D Better for folks who don't want to learn about safety

Other than that, I think Li-Ion has it trumped.

I wonder how hard it would be for the rest of us to get our hands on one of these diodes.

Not hard at all. It'll just cost you ~$250 whenever they're back in stock at the supplier.

aryntha, rhd, when is one of you guys going to come to S. Calif. and let me see these wl's in real life anyway? ;) -GH

Actually, Glenn, I'm planning on a trip to California in the spring or summer, to visit with a friend and buy a HeCd from Daguin. Unfortunately, it'll be Sacramento so i'm pretty sure that's a bit too far for a day trip... Where exactly are you? (I should know this...)

Back