Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Returning member here

Hey all!

Returning member here. Been gone for about 3 years(!), but haven't forgotten the hobby. Decided to poke my head back in, as I do miss this place, and was curious how things have evolved. Not sure if any of the vets remember me (see pics of some of my vintage solid-copper builds below), but it is good to see a few old names and avatars still around.

So what have I missed here in 3 years, technically and community-wise? (And what the heck happened to the rep system?) :)

-Andy

Vintage builds:

https://laserpointerforums.com/f52/...build-1-pic-heavy-86239.html?highlight=copper

https://laserpointerforums.com/f52/vintage-solid-copper-build-2-rayovac-86459.html?highlight=copper

https://laserpointerforums.com/f52/review-vintage-all-copper-rayovac-builds-3-4-a-90921.html

I also did a pretty detailed study of different lenses, with automated measurements:
https://laserpointerforums.com/f52/updated-g9-vs-g2-vs-3-element-vs-acrylic-study-85334.html

Ile9dct.jpg

ZvJPC9k.jpg

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome back, Andrew, I love those antique copper flashlight builds, have always wanted to do one, but could never find a decent quality flashlight.

Welcome back, what peaked your interest to return?

Hey Alaskan! I actually remember when you were new here, and you lived in Alaska, haha. :) Good to see you're still here, and a mod now, too. Very cool.

I never really forgot about this place, as I still have all of my lasers, parts, and equipment, and still love all of my builds. I ended up turning my other hobby (classic arcade game PCB repair) into a more regular gig , so I haven't had much time for other hobbies.

But I still fire up and appreciate my lasers regularly, and have been curious for some time where things were at now, in terms of new tech, diodes, etc. I know when I was more active here, things were going gangbusters, and new diodes were coming out several times a year, really increasing in power. People were making new drivers, doing R+D, and it seemed to be a really good time for the hobby.

I was also interested to see who was still here socially, and how this place has evolved as a community. (I see there's a Discord now.) Like many other forums, they have their ups and downs, drama, etc. Glad to see this place has held together, as it's always been a great community.

Last edited:

jayrob

Hey all!

Returning member here. Been gone for about 3 years(!), but haven't forgotten the hobby. Decided to poke my head back in, as I do miss this place, and was curious how things have evolved. Not sure if any of the vets remember me (see pics of some of my vintage solid-copper builds below), but it is good to see a few old names and avatars still around.

So what have I missed here in 3 years, technically and community-wise? (And what the heck happened to the rep system?) :)

-Andy

Vintage builds:

https://laserpointerforums.com/f52/...build-1-pic-heavy-86239.html?highlight=copper

https://laserpointerforums.com/f52/vintage-solid-copper-build-2-rayovac-86459.html?highlight=copper

https://laserpointerforums.com/f52/review-vintage-all-copper-rayovac-builds-3-4-a-90921.html

I also did a pretty detailed study of different lenses, with automated measurements:
https://laserpointerforums.com/f52/updated-g9-vs-g2-vs-3-element-vs-acrylic-study-85334.html

Ile9dct.jpg

ZvJPC9k.jpg

Nice work!

Good to see any vet come back around.

I'm not as involved these days myself, but will always have a love for the hobby and for building.

I will browse once in a while and always respond to my threads or PM's...

What ever happened to Dave? (daguin)

Well, glad to see you back, I also remember you here before. New diodes are awesome aren't they? Only problem is the more power, the wider the emitters and thus higher divergence. Beam expanders are becoming more and more important. Sorry for the drama, a few members want me gone now, but just today, I've come to see most of the shouting was caused by a veteran who has three socks here.... for now, probably not much longer though if I can get a solid finger on it.

Ha. Regarding drama, I actually wasn't referring to anything specific, as I haven't read up on much here yet. (And I don't necessarily consider it a bad thing, as I know any active community will have some friction, as part of just being active.)

But I was/am curious if there have been any 'megathreads' and/or big stories in the past 3 years that would be interesting reading, regarding goings-on that may have shaped the community and/or hobby as a whole. (I'm happy to go read them myself, if anyone can point me in the right direction.) Not looking to stir anything up, just curious who's still here, who's gone, what's 'happened', etc.

Jayrob, bowtie, good to see you guys. Zraffleticket too, who was my inspiration for getting into vintage builds. (And I see Flaminpyro is MIA? Hope he's ok, as Jeff did most of the copper machining for my builds. Great work.)

Daguin, Blord, DTR, nospin, mohrenberg, scumbagatheist, hakzaw1, Bionic-Badger, InfinitusEquitas, Wolfman29, Ehgemus, ped, Cyparagon, rhd, livinloud, sinner. And there are so many others. But I am glad to see so many names still here, keeping things going.

Last edited:
Welcome back to the fold Andrewb....:beer:

@ jayrob... Yeah I was wondering where
Dave is as well. Haven't seen him here since
I came back.

Jerry

Hi, Welcome back hope you stay a little longer now. I like machine and building I always feel addicted with a new host.

Rich:)

welcome back home Andrew.
PMing with info I wish were not true.. no need to add to the pain for those who already know..

Welcome back, Andrew. I remember you as well as many members who have disappeared over the years. It is good to have you back again. Yeah, those copper flashlight builds are very retro as they were the flashlights that were around in the 1960s. I had several, though none were copper. I have been building new wavelength lasers from 477nm and 488nm to 493nm and 502nm. I am currently working on finishing an NDG7475 just like the one DTR built. Then I will be trying to finish an NUBM44 build with 6X cylider lens correction and a beam expander.

@ paul-- so this is NOT a good time for me to send my unfinished projects to you for completion at hardly any fee.. no uh? :yabbem:
dang! I try..:beer::crackup:

I crack me up..

Wow! I'm too new to welcome you back-but welcome back. :) I've never seen an all copper flashlight build-must have a LONG duty cycle.

Encap

Wow--those copper flashlight hosts are amazing---beautiful work.
Are those hosts still available anywhere?
They are killer - vintage time machine retrieved type hosts.
Love them and the contrast of old flashlight modern laser electronics and diodes---nice contrast of past and present---really nice.
Thanks for posting and sharing those.

Oh yeah and Welcome back--back to the future. .

LPF needs returning members who contribute something especially something apart from the same old same old.

Stay and play---enjoy LPF 2018--today LPF is a very different landscape from 3 years ago--much to catch up on.

In my view LPF is much better in many ways for several reasons than 3 years ago --as you explore LPF 2018 you will see what I mean, hopefully.

Enjoy the forum!

Glad to see you posting. +rep

Last edited:
I remember seeing those quite often at 'tag' sales.. now-- hard to find that kind.. its a collectors item.. LOVED the 'steampunk' look.. not sure weren't these once chromed and what we seen now .. is .. mo betta than chrome .. they belong in a museum .. not at all the same as a 'Mag-lite' build.. +rep