Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Returning member here

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome back Andrewb. I do remember your name vaguely.
Nice to see you return. :)

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome back Polonium, it’s always nice to see members return. :)

Thanks Curtis!

So much has changed!
New wavelengths, which I’m excited to do a new build!
Old members I’ve notice have left..

And what’s with the rep power???!

The rep system has reached the end of its usefulness. Several of us have maxed out the system which means our rep cannot go any higher than it is right now. I remember when I was still new here and Tmack was selling his Laserbee LPM. I sent him a PM saying that I wanted to buy it. He was unsure as I hadn't been here more than 3 months, so I told him it was his perogative to sell it to me or not. He did sell it to me and we became friends until he became inactive, sometime ago.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Yep, as Paul explained the rep system for some has reached its max. The system massively inflated. :p

There are plenty of new wavelengths available, the most notable are the cheap 488’s. We have also seen cheap 565/575 dpss’s. But the supplier is having difficulties atm.

Thanks to all who chimed in. Most appreciated.

So can someone explain about the rep system maxing out? When I was here before, it seemed to make sense. It wasn't easy to get tons of rep quickly (you had to earn it), and Cyparagon was the rep king. How/what changed

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
It was all to do with inflation. In the end the system became useless so many individuals including myself decided to have fun with it and see if we could break it. The system capped out at the 32 bit limit. If you look at any individual that has hit the max, their rep points will equal 2^31-1.

It was all to do with inflation. In the end the system became useless so many individuals including myself decided to have fun with it and see if we could break it. The system capped out at the 32 bit limit. If you look at any individual that has hit the max, their rep points will equal 2^31-1.

Ok, but how? The max person here after the several years I was here had just barely hit 1000 rep (and that took a lot of work).

Also, I know from other forums I'm on that use the vBulletin software, that there are mechanisms that prevent small groups from repping each other and abusing the system. Maybe those weren't enabled here?

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
We have got systems here, we have to spread rep around before we can rep the same members again. Also we are limited on how many reps we can give in one day.
It took time to get going but the rep inflation is a steep curve rather than a linear growth. So once inflated it grew and grew. :p

Last edited:
Ok, but how? The max person here after the several years I was here had just barely hit 1000 rep (and that took a lot of work).

Also, I know from other forums I'm on that use the vBulletin software, that there are mechanisms that prevent small groups from repping each other and abusing the system. Maybe those weren't enabled here?

A while back, like maybe a year ago now, the rep system was re-adjusted (some of the parameters I think? I wasn't really paying attention). After that the rep points began a runaway inflation.

It's nice to see you back.

There is a thread that sort of shows the time frame of rep inflation here. It was started by CurtisOliver and is to congratulate members for reaching new rep milestones over time. If you are interested, you can look through it to get a good idea how long it took to get to the first 100,000, first million, etc. until the end. It is still active as there are many members who still haven't maxed out yet.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Unfortunately it’s in the vet section so only vets can view it. But when I’ve got time I’ll post a graph here.