Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

red light camera destroyer

I don't think anybody should have a problem not running red lights. On the other hand their are speed cameras around where I live (DC and MD) that charge you $40+ whenever you speed past them. The tickets don't even subtract points from your license, they are strictly to make money. Those I wouldn't mind destroying.

Actually that's the problem. With the yellow light shortened, you have to basically slam on the breaks in order to stop in time.... and hope that the guy riding your bumper also has good breaks.

Maybe its me, but if you know there is a camera, then why would you accelerate on a yellow to start with?

Razako

I don't think anybody should have a problem not running red lights. On the other hand their are speed cameras around where I live (DC and MD) that charge you $40+ whenever you speed past them. The tickets don't even subtract points from your license, they are strictly to make money. Those I wouldn't mind destroying.
Actually it can be a problem. Here's a scenario for you. You're speeding by about 5mph up to a light and have some guy tailgating you. As you get close to the light it turns yellow. You have 2 options. Run through the light as it barely turns red and hurt nobody. Slam on the breaks and risk the guy behind you in his big F350 crushing you like a tin can.

HIMNL9

Actually that's the problem. With the yellow light shortened, you have to basically slam on the breaks in order to stop in time.... and hope that the guy riding your bumper also has good breaks.

Uhm, isn't enough to not arrive to the cross at 100Km/h, for avoid this ? ;)

Anyway, i agree with one thing ..... if the yellow is less than AT LEAST 5 seconds, cameras (and the ones that set up the yellow lights too short and the cameras) can be freely shooted with anything you have handy :eg:

I mean really what are you supposed to do if you've got a guy tailgating you heading up to a light? Slam on the breaks to avoid the ticket and risk him hitting you from behind?

You're speeding by about 5mph up to a light and have some guy tailgating you. As you get close to the light it turns yellow. You have 2 options. Run through the light as it barely turns red and hurt nobody. Slam on the breaks and risk the guy behind you in his big F350 crushing you like a tin can.

You dont have to be redundant to get your point across.

"IF" is the biggest small word in the wold. I wouldn't let the asshole tailgate me to begin with. Bottom line is, if you drive correctly you really have nothing to worry about. If you let others dictate the way you drive, then you dont know how to drive, and deserve the ticket.

Toke

I have never heard of cameras at intersections to catch people crossing a red light, and I don't have* a car.

That does not stop me from finding the idea rather stupid.
Legitimate grievances with yellow timing should be addressable by organisations like FDM (United Danish Motorists). I you have the time for messing with lasers and tripod you have the time to make a list of intersections with timing and time of day.

Sure the direct "Make it personal" approach of Quellcrist Falconer is sometimes necessary. :)
I just don't think this is such a case.

*You can find me on the members map, it would be cool if anyone could find me a parking space.

ETA: Why don't the forum software underline links by itself?

Razako

You dont have to be redundant to get your point across.

"IF" is the biggest small word in the wold. I wouldn't let the asshole tailgate me to begin with. Bottom line is, if you drive correctly you really have nothing to worry about. If you let others dictate the way you drive, then you dont know how to drive, and deserve the ticket.
Who says what driving correctly is? I hurt nobody by going 5-10 mph over the limit and sometimes gunning it through yellow lights. Also the lights are poorly synched so if I don't speed and miss one it normally causes a 5 minute delay on my way to work as I miss 3-4 other lights and sit around idling wasting fuel.

We're talking about some PRIVATE company coming in and modifying the yellow lights to make them shorter while making big $$$ ticketing people for a relatively harmless offense. Screw that. I'm not complaining about actual cops with radar giving out tickets to speeders. I'm complaining about private companies setting up cameras everywhere in a money grab attempt.

Last edited:
Hey I think its BS too, but we have an old saying in the US. "You cant fight city hall" Which means its not worth the effort. You may win sometimes, but 9 out of 10 you will lose. Its smarter to just stop when you are suppose too.

Driving correctly is based on the laws where you live. In my state if you rear end someone you are automatically at fault. Also gunning a yellow to save a few seconds is not worth the fine if you catch a red light. It boils down to if you want to risk a $40+ fine, and points on your license, (which usually increases your insurance payment) to save 30 seconds at best.

Hmm, I was gonna add my $0.02 but looks like you guys more or less covered it.

Bottom line, I think we all agree...

Running red lights = bad.
Private companies reducing the time yellow is shown in order to increase revenue = worse.

As for speeding, even going at speed limit on west side highway in nyc, at 40mph, which is limit which NO ONE drives... it still takes time to stop, and you really have to slam on the breaks to stop in time.

If you drive 5-10mph over the limit... well, IMO that's normal and doesn't harm anyone. Most of the speed limits were set back in 70s? 80s? Earlier? The limits aren't being raised only because that would mean a lot less money for fed and state government.

if the fine was 40bucks i would have no problem. where i live the fines are in excess of 300.
i do drive safe though. i have not gotten one in the 4 years since the lights have been operational and i pass 3 on my way in and 3 on my way home every day.

You should live where I live. People are totally inconsiderate, I mean everyone. They will race you to cut you off. They blow through yield signs, cant merge, roll stop signs, no turn signals, and blow stop lights. Its so bad if you try to drive normal, you'll cause an accident. You have to be aggressive, and follow the flow. The cops come out in the last week of the month, so its a free for all the first 3 weeks.

You should live where I live. People are totally inconsiderate, I mean everyone. They will race you to cut you off. They blow through yield signs, cant merge, roll stop signs, no turn signals, and blow stop lights. Its so bad if you try to drive normal, you'll cause an accident. You have to be aggressive, and follow the flow. The cops come out in the last week of the month, so its a free for all the first 3 weeks.

So you live in the vicinity of NYC too I take it?

People who get into the left lane and drive 2 miles under the limit, do cause accidents imo.

Near Boston. They dont call us Massholes for nothing. I think its a North East thing.

Hmm, heard of an experiment done some time back, about major cities and patience of drivers.

Experiment was to see how long it would take for a driver to honk at the driver in front of them, after a light turns green.

Anyway, NYC had the shortest time, with drivers sometimes honking even before the light turned green.

mfo

So you live in the vicinity of NYC too I take it?

People who get into the left lane and drive 2 miles under the limit, do cause accidents imo.

I was going to say the same thing too, I like in Brooklyn.

@TJ, you're on the east coast now?!