Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Real or fake CREE LED?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Migs7

I just bought a pair of LED's on ebay just wondering if anybody can help confirm they are truly CREE.

8D7A2738-A67D-4BCF-BF43-B401AE6D92FF-27038-00000B83CA4705DD.jpg

E4234470-1C53-42ED-8EDD-7FABB6FE551B-27038-00000B83BDE002C6.jpg

The price you paid might be the best indication of authenticity. My guess is they're probably real. Disclaimer: I'm no expert on LEDs. Are counterfeit Crees really a thing now?

Last edited:

Blord

I never heard any counterfeit Cree LED. These LED are precision light and produced in masse. The counterfeiters don't even bother copying these LED's

ped

Like Cyp said, price is usually a good indication..

You get what you pay for.

LaZeRz

It isn't clones you should be worrying about, efficiency and tint binning is what some retailers usually make false claims of.

Last edited:
it is hard to see from the pic, maybe you can test it with professional machine if possible.

tonyt

As Blord said, these are so mass produced that counterfeiters don't even bother..

I never heard any counterfeit Cree LED. These LED are precision light and produced in masse. The counterfeiters don't even bother copying these LED's

I know I am bumping an old thread here but I figured I would chime in with an answer. Yes, the LED you linked is an imitation XML-T6. Yes, they are counterfeited. These LEDs are actually already pretty cheap, but guess what - the imitation LEDs are even cheaper and manufacturers will do anything to save a few cents.

The good news is there actually isn't much of a noticeable difference in performance. The imitation has a slightly lower output, has a color temperature closer to 7k, and a shorter lifespan. Lumen depreciation is pretty much the killer when it comes to these imitations.

I work in the industry...my company sells head mounted lights for pest control, mining, construction, etc.... our manufacturer literally asks us if we want to use the real CREE (remember...CREE is manufactured in America. The Chinese have to import it if they want to use it) diode or if we want to use the cheaper domestically manufactured imitation diode. We have tried both and it becomes easy to spot the differences.

I can tell just by looking at it from the cathode orientation.

First pic is real, second one is fake. Both were sold as "authentic XML-T6". Unless you are buying from a reliable source from whom you have specifically asked for authentic diodes, they will most likely provide you with the imitation. When your profits come from bulk sales, every cent count and these manufacturers can save upwards of $0.50 per sale. Like I said, the difference is negligible to the untrained eye so it's not a huge deal at the end of the day but the CREE ones are definitely better.

Imgur

Last edited:
I have never seen nor heard of fake cree XM-L LEDs before.

.... our manufacturer literally asks us if we want to use the real CREE diode or if we want to use the cheaper domestically manufactured imitation diode.

Whose to say your manufacturer has any idea whether or not these supposed 'fake' XML leds are indeed as unauthentic as they claim?

First pic is real, second one is fake. Both were sold as "authentic XML-T6".

If you are referring to the images you linked to then the only difference is the first led is an xm-l2 whereas the 2nd image is the older generation XM-L. The xm-l2 has a silver substrate whereas the XM-L has a green substrate. Among other differing physical characteristics such as two bond wires as opposed to three.

Indeed the newer generation XM-L2 LEDs have a higher luminous flux compared to the older generation XM-L, but there is nothing unauthentic about the XM-L led in the OP nor in the image you linked.

Genuine Cree XM-L led.

XML_Warm_Angle_med.jpg

Genuine Cree XM-L2 led.

Cree12122012.jpg

I have never seen nor heard of fake cree XM-L LEDs before.

Whose to say your manufacturer has any idea whether or not these supposed 'fake' XML leds are indeed as unauthentic as they claim?

If you are referring to the images you linked to then the only difference is the first led is an xm-l2 whereas the 2nd image is the older generation XM-L. The xm-l2 has a silver substrate whereas the XM-L has a green substrate. Among other differing physical characteristics such as two bond wires as opposed to three.

Indeed the newer generation XM-L2 LEDs have a higher luminous flux compared to the older generation XM-L, but there is nothing unauthentic about the XM-L led in the OP nor in the image you linked.

Genuine Cree XM-L led.

XML_Warm_Angle_med.jpg

Genuine Cree XM-L2 led.

Cree12122012.jpg

whatever helps you sleep at night :beer:

^^^and you are an idiot. Cree makes many variations in various footprints. In the XM footprint, the green ones are XM-L while silvee is XM-L2. The bin doesnt change the die color

Yet another case of an "industry expert" that only knows what he was told and takes it for the truth. Although cree is a US based company out of NC, they started pushing manufacturing over to china in 2010.

Last edited:
^^^and you are an idiot. Cree makes many variations in various footprints. In the XM footprint, the green ones are XM-L while silvee is XM-L2. The bin doesnt change the die color

Yet another case of an "industry expert" that only knows what he was told and takes it for the truth. Although cree is a US based company out of NC, they started pushing manufacturing over to china in 2010.

Haha, looks like you can't deal with the fact that all those shitty flashlights you bought don't have real CREEs in them. Convoy is another brand locally known for using imitation diodes.

I am done here, conclude what you want from my information. Just thought I would share :thanks:

Haha, looks like you can't deal with the fact that all those shitty flashlights you bought don't have real CREEs in them. Convoy is another brand locally known for using imitation diodes.

I am done here, conclude what you want from my information. Just thought I would share :thanks:

Straight from Cree...........

XM-L is GREEN with 3 bond wires - Cree Component XLamp XM-L LEDs

XM-L2 is SILVER with 2 bond wires - Cree XLamp XM-L2 LEDs

There are other manufactures of LEDs like Nichia, Luminus, Osram, Samsung, etc....I have a feeling you are confusing the other brands as "knock off or fake" Cree LEDs. No doubt the cheap ass flashlights all say CREE because its a name brand but the ones shown that you called "fake" are far from fake. Its one thing if it was say a XP-G being called a XM-L but that is so easy to spot the difference.

As far as Convoy, no you are very mistaken. Many of us know Simon well

If you know so much then spot the fake one(s):

img_zpsqnkkzfob.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.