Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Rayfoss/Mitsubishi 638nm 300mW laser diode

WOW... This is pretty incredible news. Thank you for running these tests. Good to know these can be safely pushed to 1A:)

@DTR - I think that was IgorT... not sure though.

The prisms from surplus shed came in. one has a ~14% loss at a normal angle, but at the angle needed for better beam correction, the loss is ~30%. Don't get too caught up in power though. Audiophiles don't rate speakers on power input only.

Brightness is related to power density. A 1W beam that's 30mm wide will appear more dim than a 100mW beam that's 1mW wide. A corrected beam may appear brighter that a non-corrected one, because of the reduced divergence. Even if all else was equal, theoretically, a 30% loss of power only means a ~17% loss in brightness.

I'll try to get a comparison shot of this and do some TEC tests over the weekend.

of course! It wont be easy though. Would be much more reasonable in a labby obviously.

I'm aware... in theory that it is, the big question is whether it's possible on at least something of a budget in a relatively small handheld.

Even with loss of power, personally I like a nice thin beam over a fat one:p

Last edited:
Thank you very much for putting this diode through the test. :beer:
This may make a nice lab style set-up with a bit of correction, TEC, and a Flexmod.

Fiddy

just adjusted the current on my hotlight build to 1050mA using a 650-G-1 lens...heres the graph:

760mW637nm1050mA650-G-1.png

^^^Not quite as high as I was expecting:(

Still very cool and class 4 though:D

I guess Now I start praying to the laser gods that I got a freak, and order another one to increase my chances:p

Fiddy

im using the Mitsubishi 635-638nm 300mW from rayfoss

Last edited:
hmmm where does it say it should be higher?

Somewhere in the temporal lobe of my brain, I believe in the wishful thinking nexus:tinfoil:

Seriously though... I was expecting more. This could mean the LD's are not very consistent. Hopefully this also means more people will end up with freaks:)

Fiddy

Somewhere in the temporal lobe of my brain, I believe in the wishful thinking nexus:tinfoil:

Seriously though... I was expecting more. This could mean the LD's are not very consistent. Hopefully this also means more people will end up with freaks:)

hmmm hopefully more freaks show up in the mix then!

Indeed, as far as I can tell, freaks are ... what, 1 in 5 ?

Knowing DTR, he's already bought 100 pieces, and can nicely bin them. Right, DTR? :D

Seriously, though. It will be easy to buy a bunch, and test each individually and sell them according to their efficiency, lower grade diodes being cheaper than higher power ones. Ofcourse you can always gamble with Rayfoss or other distributors (hopefully more pop up, see if competition lowers the price a little).

Can't wait to get home to see what kind of diode did I get :p Boy, this is like opening an always-winning lottery ticked. Worse you can end up with is half watt of 640nm at 1A. It can only get better.