Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Rayfoss 532nm <150mW Green Laser Torch Review

Ash

At least its splash proof then, always good for accidents.

What i'm wondering: is the laser module thermally (and electrically) connected to the host, or is it isolated? Very difficult to tell from the pictures, though it seems sub-optimal at best.
I'll try to answer your question about the module first...
It's just like almost every other greenie: case-positive using the host as a heat-sink:
Here is a view toward the front of the module in the host:
P1010354.jpg

Here is the view down the back of the module in the host:
P1010360.jpg

Here's the pot:
P1010361.jpg

I could probably turn it up, but I probably won't until I have a replacement module to put in there if I blew the diode.
To me, it looks like an o-like would fit fine:
P1010363.jpg

Unscrewed: As you can see there is a nice o-ring at every threaded connection.
P1010364.jpg

As for your fist comment. Well, I have yet to submerge mine, but I emailed the company about the waterproofness (?) and this was their response:

The following are the lasers which have waterproof feature (can be used in water pool):

http://www.rayfoss.com/pro_info.asp?id=1485
http://www.rayfoss.com/pro_info.asp?id=1480
http://www.rayfoss.com/pro_info.asp?id=1426
http://www.rayfoss.com/pro_info.asp?id=1456
http://www.rayfoss.com/pro_info.asp?id=1453

The tested depth is 5 meters (water pool).

Benm

Those photos clarify it - it looks not to be touching the body from the lens end, but looking from the circuit board side it seems fine. Probably a good thing since the host isn't all that small and it will help with heat issues.

5 meters waterproof seems reasonable - if it actually holds out to that depth it could be useful to point things out when snorkling or something... though its far from scuba suitable.

But i'm still wondering: it its output stable if you leave it on for a while, say 5 or 10 minutes? I realise you don't have a power meter at hand, but a big drop is probably visible to the eye too...

Something else to consider would be the water temp. Lasers are pretty finicky critters when it comes to operating temps. & if you should hit a thermocline, & the water on the other side is pretty chilly, like it is here in INDIANA, your laser just might quit on you if it gets cold enough. I've done enough SCUBA diving here in the mid-west, including Lake Michigan to know that even in August, the "HOTTEST" month for Indiana, the water temp. on the other side of some thermoclines gets down to the lower 50's/upper 40's. That would = a non-functioning laser, wouldn't it ? I'm open to debate on this though..............rob

erns

Ash,

Thanks for posting the pics!

I didn't know I there was more to take apart.

R150G047Small.jpg

R150G046Small.jpg

R150G045Small.jpg

R150G048Small.jpg

Jaseth

Great review, nice pictures! I had waited for someone to make a proper review of this.

Ash

But i'm still wondering: it its output stable if you leave it on for a while, say 5 or 10 minutes? I realise you don't have a power meter at hand, but a big drop is probably visible to the eye too...

Well. Interesting that you ask. I noticed something I had never noticed before on a pointer.
I left it on for about 3 minutes, just to see if it got hot (didn't).
The strange thing is that; after the diode got hot (~2min), it appeared like the beam/dot was distorting a bit, then got dim for a split-second, then immediately two beams/dots appeared. Strange.
I have never seen this in a pointer before, but it really doesn't happen unless the diode get's hot (I think). I think that is why the duty cycle is like 30sec on/ 10 sec off, or something like that for these. :)

that my friend is a mode hop its bad it means you are probibly getting it too hot

on another note POST 1970 where were you in 1970 i was 2 years old

Ash

that my friend is a mode hop its bad it means you are probibly getting it too hot

on another note POST 1970 where were you in 1970 i was 2 years old

mode hop? Grrr... Not surprising (>2min constant-on). Is it fixable by turning the pot down a little or anything?

Oh yeah. Rayfoss just added a pic of one of their blu-ray ones underwater:
2009531161050349.jpg

And they are now saying "Test verifying its can be used under water of 5-10 meters depth"

So, I am definitely taking my green one snorkeling with me the next time I go.
191.gif

140_animated_fish_swimming.gif
704_green_smiley_shooting_laser_gun.gif

:kewlpics:as always, erns! Looks like a typical driver with the on-board switch removed (or never added) and bypassed. Regarding divergence, splatter, etc. what are your comments? Are you happy with the laser at it's particular output vs. price point? Speaking of which, I (and daguin, to name another), power our 120~150mW O-Like modules with a 3.7V rechargeable. I wonder if said battery wouldn't bring your module up to specs...

Last edited:

Benm

The split beam is a bad sign indeed - its modehopping, and if it happens only when warm is non an unusual thermal issue.

One interesting option with these lasers: put it in a tank of water, and leave it on for several minutes like that. The water should provide additional cooling to the host and prevent the problem... not a very portable solution, but it should wok.

Ash

The split beam is a bad sign indeed - its modehopping, and if it happens only when warm is non an unusual thermal issue.

One interesting option with these lasers: put it in a tank of water, and leave it on for several minutes like that. The water should provide additional cooling to the host and prevent the problem... not a very portable solution, but it should wok.

Thanks for advice. Not sure I will use water to cool it off. I got a few other (leadlight host) greenies that don't get hot or mode hop after even 1+ hours of use, so i really don't need to leave this one on for long... not an issue

But, I still think a submersible laser is pretty sweet. Probably gonna' get the 120mW bluray one after my next waterproof one (red) gets here.

I see Rayfoss sells only one bare 808nm diode (300mW). Do you guys think they use the same diode in all the green lasers?

hmmm no idea yet but i already ordered my own greenie, lets see if they have all the same diode...

i ordered 1 50mw and 1 150mw

Battery polarity

Take care when inserting the battery, otherwise you will have to order another driver circuit...