Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Rayfoss 200 mW Green Focusable Torch

Hello, this is my first review for this Rayfoss laser: http://www.rayfoss.com/productn.asp?ArticleID=34

There is already a review of this product, made by Albert( Hallucynogenyc ) and one by Dusty. The reason I am doing this review is to show more people that this laser is a very good solution for those who seek high powered green lasers for low price. Those who underestimated rayfoss' products should really think about it again, after reading this review( as well as Hallucynogenyc's ).

First of, I would like to give some feedback to Rayfoss. Hallucynogenyc, suggested that I should contact Faona, from Rayfoss, to have all my questions answered in no time. And so did she. She was very kind and patient replying to all my questions, even to the noobie ones..

Ok so let's talk about the laser.
The pointer came in a sweet white box as shown in the pictures below, marked as <1 mW for custom issues, which was unnecessary because greek customs do not search for high powered lasers (yet). Anyway, Faona asked me if I wanted, so I agreed..

1001081.jpg

1001086i.jpg

1001094.jpg

Battery, charger and keys for the safety key lock were all included, all for $150! I must admit that the laser was smaller than I thought and the battery was bigger than I ever imagined. I never owned 18650 batteries in the past, that's why I could not tell their size.

1001088.jpg

The laser is very solid and feels heavy in hand which is cool :D

1001090n.jpg

Now, regarding the focusing and burning, hell, this laser is the best burner I ever owned. If focused properly, it lights a match instantly. There is also a led indicator right above the button. It is a very bright led which lights whenever you press the button. It's a bit annoying to look at due to it's brightness, but nothing to complain about or deal with. Note that Albert's unit did not have such a Led, although it was meant to, so make sure you ask for the right unit, if you ever buy this laser.

The cap on the top of the head is a safety feature and if closed,it blocks the beam when you press the button. This cap along with the key lock make the use of this laser very safe.

headm.jpg

According to Faona, the divergence is something close to 1.7 mrad or even close to 2 mrad. She didn't know exactly. I was a bit disappointed by this fact because the dot gets even bigger than my ledshoppe's 50 mw.. Faona explained that in order to accomplish good burning ability, the divergence must be big, whereas their lower powered lasers have small divergence. Pretty logical. Also, she measured the output without an IR filter and the result was a stable power of 205 mW after 50 seconds.

I noticed that the beam does not come out that straight, which worried me at first.. I must say that it's not so obvious but, I immediately contacted Faona to report this issue and she kindly explained me the reason of this problem. Here is what she said:
The crystal used in it is big and not regular in shape which is the root reason caused this angle...but for low power outputing the crystal is very small and we can ignore its shape which will not bring much effect on the angle

Shipping took 2 weeks and 3 days and shipping cost was only $6, considering that the package was registered :) So, a total of $156 for the laser, the rechargeable 18650 battery and the charger, everything shipped to you. Oh, and a big sheet with advanced English explanation on how to use the laser ;)

Finally I would like to state the main reason for which I bought this laser. Apart from it's resistance to falls( it actually fell on the ground once ), what's cooler than a solid and damn visible beam both in daytime and in the night :D ? I 'll let the pictures do the talking.First one is a beamshot with 4 sec long time exposure. Second one is the dot. Note that the wall was rough, that's why the dot appears not circular at all.

1001100o.jpg

1001103.jpg

I want to thank Albert who helped me out with the purchase of this laser. He actually made a small private review on msn which motivated me to buy this product. I also hope that more people buy from Rayfoss and realise it's a trustworthy company and offers the best service like o-like :p
All in all, I am very satisfied with this 200 mW green laser and I look forward to deal with Rayfoss again in the future!
Thanks for reading!

Regards, Peter

Last edited:

Grix

Nice review. Makes me want one. Do you have an LPM to confirm output?

Also, the "unkown shit lol" in the picture is a Quality Control passed sticker :)

Nice review. Makes me want one. Do you have an LPM to confirm output?

Also, the "unkown shit lol" in the picture is a Quality Control passed sticker :)

:D No, unfortunately I don't have an Lpm. I just edited the post saying the output Faona measured. it was 205 mw w/o IR filter after 50 secs.

D

Deleted member 8382

Heya there peter. I'm glad to see you are enjoying the unit I recommended you ;)

However,

1) This thing about the bad divergence was also told to someone some time ago. I highly doubt they're really opening this laser, and I suspect ir could be just an excuse. IIRC you asked them for a low divergence unit!

2)I HIGHLY doubt 205mW after the IR filter. This would mean the total output is close to 300mW!

Yours,
Albert

2)I HIGHLY doubt 205mW after the IR filter. This would mean the total output is close to 300mW!

Also, she measured the output without an IR filter and the result was a stable power of 205 mW after 50 seconds.

I said without IR filter which I think means IR is included in the output.

Yes I asked for small divergence and i didnt get one. So what do you suggest? Ask for a replacement?

Dude, that is one badass green laser! It is even focusable!
Who gives a damn about 2 mRad divergence? If it were up to me, i'd still be satisfied with it!
There is always a possibility that you get defective, non working unit, or 10 mRad divergence unit...
Why complain?

Do you visibly see the beam get fatter as it travels?

ZRTMWA

Sorry but I don't think I'm changing my mind yet. I'm sure all of these models would have poor divergence even if you recieved another unit. And I'm also skeptical about the LPM test. If you wanted to find out for sure, you could either send it to someone or buy Jerry's new 200mW HLPM with a ND filter hook it up to a DMM and test. Can't wait to see the pics! Thanks.

Dusty

There is already a review of this product, made by Albert( Hallucynogenyc ).

I have done a review of this laser also, lol :wave:

though it is not in as much detail as Hallucynogenyc's

Nice review and pics by the way...:)

First post edited. new pics added, enjoy! . Dusty, sorry I didn't see your review lol. I didn't compare the dot with the ledshoppe's 50 mw one because there is no reason to. The rayfoss dot is a nice circular dot :)

Last edited:
I decided this is going to be the first Laser I will be purchasing for myself. I have yet to find a Laser this cheap that does what this can do, plus it's focusable, which is a must for me. If there is another out there please point it out :) Another big reason is Rays willingness to ship to the U.S and put a different label on it for me, definitly my major concern is getting this seized, and Ray puts my nerves at eaz knowing he will do this.

Good review SilverShot! Same with your review Hallucynogenyc!

I just wish we can see the actual output of this Laser already, but from Hallucynogenyc video burning them matches, it looks pretty impressive considering how inexpensive it is.

I just wish you would have added a little more input, like Burn Power Etc. How quick can it pop a black balloon and whats the furthest distance it can achieve this from? Since we can't see the Output this would help with understanding it's power.

I would also love to see some day-light shots of this beam out in the open.

Thanks again for the review, very helpful :D

Paul

Last edited:
EtherMagic, I'll try to get a daytime beamshot and do a video showing how the laser burns. I just don't have too much time these days. You see I need to revise for the finals.. Anyway I 'll try to update this thread as fast as possible. Oh and I am sorry but I don't have an LPM, yet ;)

Regards, Peter

THANKS Peter!!!

I much appreciate the time you have already put in to give us this review :)

Take your time Silver, in no hurry my friend :)

I think the best possible test without a LPM would be the balloon pop. Pop one from 2 feet away, then pop the next balloon from 3 feet away, etc. Until you get to a distance to where it simply won't pop it. This way we can compare with some other well-known Lasers which have been tested with a LPM to there video's popping balloons on YouTube.

Like I stated, no rush my friend :)

BTW, I just researched and seen a daytime Pic in another thread, LOOKS GREAT!!! So, now I guess my only wonder here is the actual power of this thing?

BEST,
Paul

Last edited:
hello silvershoot..... mmhh if a person would but this laser..... shoud ask for the albert laser(without led) or your laser with led? i remember albert's laser is measured 220mw with ir...amd peak at 250mw. and has 160mw true green.... is it true albert?

AH...silver... in your photo i see "momentary button"... so is it like a pen laser? i don't know if the alnert's laser is click on/off or momentary on like your....(i prefer momentary)

however.... i am a bit mad.. but i will ask for the 20 times the mase thing on this forum XD.... WHY a focusable laser can only get 2mrad? ...i can't explain it!.... every focusable laser... when switch from focus point..to a parallel beam... has MATHEMATICALLY a little moment/point when it is near 0mrad... or 0.3... or 0.5....

do you understand my meaning? if the light converge to a point.. and then the lense change the focus... you MUST have a sensible hand to block the focus ring at he moment it give a "perfect" beam..(ok.. not teorically 0mrad.. but at least 0.5mrad yes...or 0.8 if you are bad lucked)

i am looking for 4 good burning green laser... power betweeen 150/200mw...

i don't tknow if buy an optotronics 150pen.. that hase the SAME power of your laser...(albert unit is a good unit and only have 160mw true green... and opto pen have 160mw...so the power is the same... but with opto you get 1.2mrad..and a LITTLE laser to bring with you everywhere....
i can't decide XD rayfoss give focus system.. to burn at distance.. but if the BEST divergence is about 2mrad... i don't like it..

SUGGESTION: use a binocular and see at a wall at about 200/300 meter. ...then turn VERY SLOW the focus ring on the laser.. and see the moment in which it has the smallest dot. and compare it with another true 1.3/1.5mrad laser pen (generally lower powered laser have this divergence)..... if the dot is smaller that it... you can say to have a lower than 1mrad laser :)