Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

RAYFOSS 1W 445nm

I love the host and the waterproof feature. Ill bet this thing would light up the inside of my pool and blind plenty of fish in the lake. It is too bad it is not focusable. If it were I would have bought one already. Who know. I still might.

That's a pretty good deal too!

Some-one post a review once they get one :)

ZRTMWA

At 650mA it would only put out between 500mW and 650mW and possibly even less if Rayfoss used an Arylic lens, which would be really, really, stupid.

one thing i just thought about
the way rayfoss makes their hosts waterproof is by putting a o-ring+a little piece of glass in a brass nut and screw it into the head at the aperture hole
if you would remove this glass piece perhaps it offers a nice place for correction optics?:thinking:
just thinking out loud..

one thing i just thought about
the way rayfoss makes their hosts waterproof is by putting a o-ring+a little piece of glass in a brass nut and screw it into the head at the aperture hole
if you would remove this glass piece perhaps it offers a nice place for correction optics?:thinking:
just thinking out loud..

What kind of corrective optics did you have in mine? You need at least 2cm of space to use Dr. Lava's Corrective Optics.

DrSid

Your eye looks like serious case of 445nm exposure :umbrella:

Ash

I love the host and the waterproof feature. Ill bet this thing would light up the inside of my pool and blind plenty of fish in the lake. It is too bad it is not focusable. If it were I would have bought one already. Who know. I still might.
It is focusable.

I received an answer from Faona on a few points, her answers are in green . I have pasted it below:
------------------------------------------
Faona,

I noticed a new laser you recently added to your site. The 1W 445nm.
http://www.rayfoss.com/productn.asp?ArticleID=120

I am interested in finding out if it is focusable or if it is fixed-focus? It is with the focusable function.

Are you using Casio 445nm diodes? Yes!

I would also like to know if the dot is circular (o) or a line (-) at a far distance, as I am familiar with the new Casio diodes "rectangular" beam profile. I wouild update some beam shot pictures in the following couple of days.I would update you accordingly.

I would also like to know if you will be offering these new (empty) hosts for sale?
The empty hosts is available but engineer told me the internal structure can not code with the standard module size. I need further discuss with him later today then update with you!
Thank you for your time,

-Ash
--------------------------------
So. It's focusable and they sell the empty hosts. :beer:

If my Arctic fails, I was going to go for the Spartan, but didn't like the non-focusability, so now I know what I'm getting if my Arctic sucks.

DrSid

Focusable ? I decided to go for home-build early this week .. but this could make the decision harder.

Ash

I also just paid for a DIY (er,.. DI someone else) 445nm build, but this will probably be my next 445nm laser.
I just love waterproof and focusable. :san:

jbtm

Ah...Looks like they took on my words. MONTHS ago I told rayfoss about the 445nm laser craze, and she asked me a TON of questions like "Where are they getting them?" I gave her all the info, and she said "We'll have our engineers make a 1W 445 for you to buy"

Looks like she wasn't lieing...! She did mention they were going to use correcting lens as she CLAIMED that 'Fixing a multimode diode is easy'

Waterproof thing would be aweseome... =D

Also, It's true its the casio diode. I personally told her the projector they uesd and linked about the way Wicked lasers did it. I had like a 3 day chat with her feeding details about this laser...Hehe

I didnt know they sold 12X bluray sleds for $65 o_O

Last edited:
Using the diode in the Casio projectors, the beam will appear close to a circle at the distance half way between where the fast and slow axis are in focus, but not along the whole length of the beam. So that is a white lie on their part. Anamorphic prisms won't do it, neglecting diffraction, because the magnification wouldn't be enough. Diffraction would pass through a small aperture near the diode and project the rectangle again at a distance. Cylindrical lenses probably won't because each one has to be at a different distance from the diode and at right angles to each other. A simple threaded tube won't allow that and the correct focus at the same time because it would need a half rotation to be in alignment again. The lenses would have different focal lengths, so focusing by turning that tube would adjust the focus of one lens much more than the other. The simplest way to do it would be to use a lower power diode, maybe 40-60 mW with a narrower stripe.

Last edited: