Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Rayfoss <150mw vs Mini-rpl 100mw sxd module

jeffd

P1010093.jpg

P1010094.jpg

The hosts:
Rayfoss:
Solid and heavy:yh:
Waterproof:yh:
Reverse clicky switch:yh:
Extra lens hard to keep clean:yabbem:
Sticker fell off:yabbem:

Mini-RPl:
Heavy and sturdy:yh:
Momentary switch:yh:
Good Heatsinking:yh:

Both hosts use 1 cr123 battery. The Rayfoss host is nicer in my opinion. It just feels very high quality and looks better than the mini-RPL.

Now to the power/beam tests
P1010098.jpg

For these subjective tests the same batteries were used in each laser.
P1010099.jpg

Graph provided by BrewCity Music(who i just got the laser from)

Beam Shots
P1010108.jpg

Both seem to be the same power. Even though the Mini-RPl is outputting about 100mw and the rayfoss is supposed to be in the 135-150mw region.

Dot/Divergence
P1010107.jpg

Dots at about 5m away​

The divergence on the Mini-RPL is much better than the rayfoss laser. At a greater distance there is a much more pronounced differnce. Ive tried to adjust the focal point on the rayfoss but the lens seems to be stuck in place.

Final notes​
Service from Rayfoss was excellent, Faona is very responsive and it took about a week for the laser to arrive here. Also BrewCity Music is a great guy to deal with, he shipped via USPS priority mail and threw in some free defraction gratings.

Based on my comparisons vs the confirmed 100mw mini-RPL, my <150mw Rayfoss laser is not up to spec. It is just as bright as the mini-RPl and it has worse divergence. I might of received a bad unit, seeing how everyone else is giving their Rayfoss lasers great reviews. I am in no way, not recommending going to Rayfoss for good lasers, but i just wish mine had a little better divergence and a little more power.

-Jeff D

P.S. Night time beam shots coming later

Last edited:

where can we buy the mini rpl? all mini rpl sold at dealextreme.. focalprice.. qualitychinagoods... ARE THE SAME?same quality?

jeffd

I got mine from BrewCity Music... It has a 100mw sxd module in it. Not the same module as if you get it from one of those sites you listed.

For the record, these "mini-RPL" lasers as a rule of thumb are WAY underspec from almost anywhere you get them (DX, KD, QCG, SZWholesale, etc) - that's why I put different modules in them (they are a very nice, well-constructed host) ...

The best bet if you like the host is to buy the cheapest mini-RPL you can (currently the 50mW version at SZWholesale for $19 in quantity) and put in a decent SXD/O-like/Rayfoss module, THEN you have a really solid, well-heatsinked laser with a quality beam and accurate specs!

Another great host is the KD-50 from Kaidomain, again, the laser modules they install are pretty much underspec crap as a rule, but the hosts are great for a quality green module build!

Glad you like the laser, Jeff - these SXD modules have really nice beams, hey?!?

Grix: There were a couple of lasers sold by SZWholesale that had SXD modules (since discontinued) so there may be a few prebuilts out there that have them, I get mine through one of my "Laser Display" vendors as kind of a perk, if I'm ordering displays or parts I ask for them to get me a few modules, sometimes they can and sometimes they can't... I'd really like to find a reliable source for them myself but haven't as of yet (sorry)

93shad

IT IS NOT A MINI RPL
call it what you want but it is probably not built with such a high quality and stellar performance as to be called RPL

93: You're right, it's not an Opto product, we just call it the "mini RPL" because it looks like, well, a Mini RPL ...

Sorta like if Opto hadn't coined the name "RPL" we'd probably call them a "Mini Hercules"

Here's some .2 cents worth: The rayfross has that waterproof lens to go through...
thats gotto slow things down a bit.

I must say BCM that the KD 50s are somewhat of a great deal... just depends on the luck of the draw. How many do you get at a time?. I noticed that if you buy one here and there they come out better than a whole sale lot.

Are you talkin the KD50's as in the third black laser below my Herc in the pic above? I used to get those through SZWholesale, they weren't anything special (although usually somewhere around 50mW give or take) - they were $18 plus change in the 50mW version in 12lots (but they have since raised the price by $2 so they're probably $20 in quantity now) - I mainly bought them to resell cheaply at our shows but ended up using them as hosts until I found the Mini-RPL's (L-ZX-B02).

And good point on the lens, BTW - even if it's low-loss optical glass, coated, etc you're still talking a loss of 10% or so, putting the 150mW down to 135mW-ish, not to mention if it's just plastic and not treated you would be talking losses potentially of 20% or more.

jeffd

Your right the waterproof lens does lower the output and also adds a little more scatter to the beam. good thing you can remove it if you want.

D

Deleted member 8382

that's a really good point, have you tried to compare them without this lens?