Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ray Gun - {Pic Heavy}

Okay, I admit, it's not much of a ray gun, but it's close :)

I went to the mall yesterday looking for Christmas gifts for my son when I stumbled on this little guy.
DSC04648_zps6c7a89ee.jpg

You pull the trigger and a little red LED lights up. My girlfriend looked at it and asked if I could put a laser in it. Honestly my first reaction was 'there's no way I can get a module in that!' But I bought a few anyhow, the way I see it is they would make fun stocking stuffers anyhow.

I wasn't going to work on it right away but I saw the 3 x 1.5v on the battery compartment! (sorry this one was from my cell phone)
IMG_20131108_213004_305_zps95ee89c0.jpg

Which meant that it was possible that I could get this to work. So I had to open it up right away. (again, from my cell phone)
IMG_20131108_213526_253_zpsbcb12e8a.jpg

The muzzle was actually glued onto the two halves of the gun so I had to cut away one of the halves.

I did a quick size comparison with a cheap fasttech 1mW module. (last cell phone picture)
IMG_20131108_214404_379_zps23543102.jpg

We're still in good shape, I knew I would have to Dremel out the muzzle but I was pretty confident that it would all fit.

While dremeling the muzzle it detached from the barrel. So I pressed the module in and epoxied the muzzle back on to just one of the sides so I could still open the unit to get to the batteries.

DSC04659_zpsbd8721e8.jpg

Put it all back together! and Proof of Life!

DSC04661_zps4dcfa349.jpg

Finished Ray Gun next to a new unit - Ruler for scale
DSC04663_zpsecbec335.jpg

BEAM SHOT!!!!
DSC04662_zpsce8b737e.jpg

Okay, not so much, no matter how dark or how much fog, it just wasn't happening.

Thanks for reading!

Tmack

So those were enough?? So cool. Now you need to hide a battery holder in a gi joe back pack and make a ghost buster ray gun with a bigger diode!!!

Can't believe those buttons worked. Nice job. I always wondered if they would.

So those were enough?? So cool. Now you need to hide a battery holder in a gi joe back pack and make a ghost buster ray gun with a bigger diode!!!

Can't believe those buttons worked. Nice job. I always wondered if they would.

Yeah man, worked on it until the wee hours of the morning. The button cells worked but these little diodes are only drawing 20mA its really dim, but at night it works well enough :)

Nice little laser you got there bud :beer:

Thanks! It was a pain, it was too small to use the wires already connected to the diode so I had to desolder the wire on there then solder on the negative lead that had been connected to the LED.

In the end, totally worth it. My son is going to love it!

Nice little project - Amazing what we can find and modify!!!!
I am working on fitting an SSY-1 into a plastic Klingon disrupter
housing. The voltage doubler is only fair in in efficiency
since the PS is not a true sin wave.
HMike

Tmack

This is going to be great for your son. Glad to see it still makes the noise!!!

Last edited:
Spyro, coming from the guy who has a My Little Pony avatar. ;)

Thanks everyone for the kind words. It isn't the latest breaking technology but it was a labor of love. Besides it goes pew pew :)

Last edited:
Male

Looks like a fun project :p I remember modding a watergun that looked similar to that from the dollar store.

Awesome work Javalin! :gj: I've never been able to get more out of button cells either. She lases though :)

~ LB

Male

Looks like a fun project :p I remember modding a watergun that looked similar to that from the dollar store.

Previous post edited :)

It's a lot of fun looking at things and seeing their "lasing" potential.

Awesome work Javalin! :gj: I've never been able to get more out of button cells either. She lases though :)

~ LB

It doesn't help that the board pulses the laser. Even a perfect sine wave would give me half the output. It's hard to see the laser in the daylight, but for my little guy it will be perfect since there is 0 chance at him hurting himself or others with it.

I was about to type that comment is only acceptable if you are 14.... then the picture loaded.

My girlfriend is not amused.
DSC04701_zps0e725a13.jpg

Javalin said:
It doesn't help that the board pulses the laser. Even a perfect sine wave would give me half the output. It's hard to see the laser in the daylight, but for my little guy it will be perfect since there is 0 chance at him hurting himself or others with it.

Agreed. My "Mini Me" build is the only cat safe laser I own.

~ LB