Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Raffles

Things

Hi, I got a message from Avery asking that we do not allow any more raffles on LPF.

I know they can be a good help to good causes, such as funding LPF, however he feels there is just too much risk associated with them.

Paypal does not take nicely to raffles, and it's considered gambling in some places.

Just thought I'd pass on this message now that I had a chance.

Cheers,
Dan

Hi, I got a message from Avery asking that we do not allow any more raffles on LPF.

I know they can be a good help to good causes, such as funding LPF, however he feels there is just too much risk associated with them.

Paypal does not take nicely to raffles, and it's considered gambling in some places.

Just thought I'd pass on this message now that I had a chance.

Cheers,
Dan
Hi Dan, Yes at least here in the states raffles are considered illegal gambling unless they are fully ran by a registered non-profit organization. Using a paypal account for this activity is a good way to get your PP account and funds in it frozen for 180 days.

Having this notice posted in the rules section will be of minimal use as not many members read the rules.
This needs to be posted/stickied in a more prominent area where everyone will see it.

DJNY

But I would be allowed to raffle something here, right?

no ny, as things said, they will not be allowed anymore, so you would likely get banned.

That´s not cool.

would you rather LPF get shutdown for illegal international gambling (funny i know) and have people who dont quite understand the terms get paypal involved?

i personally think its best to avoid this type of trouble.

Having this notice posted in the rules section will be of minimal use as not many members read the rules.
This needs to be posted/stickied in a more prominent area where everyone will see it.

I dont think we need to go that far. There is enough people that know the rule now to help stop it if the mods miss it. Maybe list it in the TOS.

Too bad, it really brings some excitement to the forum.

yeah really right? i was thinking about throwing something up for such an event except mine was leaning more towards the 500nm end of the spectrum putting out near .7W...

too bad *shrugs.

Would I be right in saying that, purchasing a raffle ticket makes it illegal gambling because you are charging an entry fee? What if the entry fee was free??

Hear me out.... If an organizer sells a product eg, phr diode ~$5 but with the purchase you get free entry into a draw to win a prize (this is the raffle part). Can we or can we not, legally charge $10 per diode ($5 to cover the diode... and $5 to cover costs of prize) and run a totally free raffle??

Meaning the raffle will not generate any revenue thus would not be an illegal gambling act. Plus to satisfy paypal, the diode will be sent out to the person paying for the ticket, and in paypals eyes its a legitimate purchase??

This is just an idea and I do not condone doing this... but would just like to know if this is a viable route for raffles...

As stated. No more raffles.

I think if you posted one off site, then there is no worries. Not from LPF anyway.

Yes I understand LPF = No raffles... I'm just thinking out loud about viable ways to actually host a raffle legally... well as close as possible...

You cant if it involves cash. I get your point, but you still need to make a cash transaction to obtain the free ticket.

You might get away with it if its in a country with out laws that would prohibit it.

Last edited:

HIMNL9

Probably it also depend from country laws ..... in Italy, as example, all raffles, lotteries, bets, and any game that involve any possibility to win anything (not just money) , must be OR runned from the government, OR be authorized (paying) from the government, no exceptions ..... anything that had no preventive authorization from the related governative agency is illegal by default, including beneficence ones.

Maybe different countries have different rules, about them, so you need to check locally.

Anyway, i agree with the "no more raffles" line from Avery ..... having to choose from not see any more raffles on the forum, and risk to not see any more forum, the choice is easy, for me ;)

Maybe Holland. They are the most liberal government I've ever seen. If you can screw kids, and do drugs without worry, I'm sure a raffle would be no problem.

DJNY

Is it possible to raffle T_J?
Anyone interested? :anyone:

............. :can: