Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Radim's laser painting

Radim

And then take the model to the Epson 2200 ?

Not sure, as the highest quality prints at size 30x45 cm are possible likely with very expensive models only, I think. They use like 9-10 separate inks! But still like 6 ink cartridges should be sufficient, if this color space is that (I doubt a bit - it looks too perfect). I need to study it more. Maybe I'll ask my friend as her father is expert for printing stuff AFAIK. Anyway I need to see her, as it is a looong time we were together...

I have already contacted Coldshadow regarding one matter ATM. But when that matter is resolved, I may see what I can do. :)
Cool. Also you might add vomitting smiley - I would use it anytime regulation of laser hobby is considered. :crackup:

Not sure, as the highest quality prints at size 30x45 cm are possible likely with very expensive models only, I think. They use like 9-10 separate inks! But still like 6 ink cartridges should be sufficient, if this color space is that (I doubt a bit - it looks too perfect). I need to study it more. Maybe I'll ask my friend as her father is expert for printing stuff AFAIK. Anyway I need to see her, as it is a looong time we were together...

Cool. Also you might add vomitting smiley - I would use it anytime regulation of laser hobby is considered. :crackup:

I understand...! well they are expensive and Epson large ! anyway look your things with calm !

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Radim said:

:barf::toilet: Well we have these! :D

Last edited:

Radim

PM incoming! ;)

Thanks, my friend. I read it already. Looks very interesting to awesome. I'll go through it more deepely later and answer you via pm as soon as I came through it in detail. Rep+ for you.

Thanks, my friend. I read it already. Looks very interesting to awesome. I'll go through it more deepely later and answer you via pm as soon as I came through it in detail. Rep+ for you.

You're more than welcome!
Hopefully one step closer to the "Gallery Art" :whistle:

Av8tor

Wow Radim, just Wow!! These laser paintings are mesmerizing and I love the nature setting common in them using modern technology to bring the trees/forest to life in a way that otherwise would be 'hidden'! I love the interpretations you share with some of them and resonate with the one about 2-world perspectives and how you relate them to Paul's "3 Rabbit Holes"! While you are working on finding a suitable printing option, would you consider selling a "digital version" of one of your pieces so I could take it to a local printing business to have a print made or have placed on canvas?

Radim

Many thanks, Brendan. ;) That's really great you found the meanings. There is more background coming as soon as I write it.

I need to analyze the test paintings I just made, they are definitely not final yet. Hopefully I get soon back to the forest to do the artwork with improved techniques. As this is quite complicated setup I do right now, there are some errors to be corrected, what I've seen on camera. That's part of the process of creating a laserpainting artwork. To do the test shots as best results are after analyzing the tests and I know what to adjust and improve. Further postprocessing and caption (concept already exists) is needed to be finished before it is released.

After I have the final photo (if conditions are good tomorrow) and depending on my work, I'll publish this artwork or the article with the background, which is about 80 % finished. I'm about to go for business trip next week latest (maybe earlier) so during nights and free time I can work on it.

There will be more theory about true meanings of my laserpaintings. So I hope it will be nice read and potentially we might rise nice discussion. ;)
If you mean Alaskan's signature - that is something what will appear there. We will dive deeply into those holes... However not deep enough, but it is a long story as I mentioned recently.

Something like this, if you like analogy:
Exclusive: Deepest Underwater Cave Discovered

(BTW: Not far from place, where I live.)

And yes, selling those paintings as digital art is the main way I consider. Still I want to release also the prints, where I have a great recommendation already. I just need to go through it. Possibly on my business trip as it might involve weekend as well. Let's see... There is a lot of work to be done. You know lasers are extremely difficult to print as standard CMYK is not sufficient - I just cannot fit the wide RGB, where lasers are stretching it to the edges (still they are not captured exactly as human eye does). I had several posts here on LPF, where I mentioned a lot about this problem (and ilustrated it with pics and links from Wikipedia mostly), which I realized first at the moment when I tried to make a photos by using photo service where I usually print my photos. I also use classic film camera (vintage - pure mechanical) and mobile cam for moment shots. So I from time to time print a lot of normal photos there.

Yes, Paul. It's dark here. I have to wait for complete darkness before starting exposure as it is my black canvas. ;) Usually I go like one hour before as latest to get to place, get everything ready and think a bit.

And some of my feelings from today's tests - it was extremely awesome to see the lasers used during exposure, it was completely surreal and I need to get more into the surreal world to sense it and paint it. I was like "Wow". :D

Av8tor

Ooo man, that sounds tough... the forest is enjoyable enough as it is, I can't imagine how much fun it is to get 'lost' there using lasers! And yes, doh, I did mean Alaskan:banghead: (Sorry about that Alaskan). I very much look forward to seeing and reading your next artwork! Here at least where I live, it's not often you find people that are willing to get in touch with themselves on such a deep philosophical level and explore an existential existence. I applaud you good Sir for sharing such amazing artwork and through it, challenging us to rise to a new level of consciousness! Okay great, I'll PM you about a digital copy of one of those treasures. I did read through some of the conversation about the challenges with accurately printing your art to represent it as you intended, I just don't know if I can wait that long to admire one on one of my walls lol until the prints can be had.:umbrella:

Radim

Yes, it really is. I love forests since being child. It is my temple, where I can meditate, solve difficult tasks, keep my mind open and enjoy the peace. There you are not disturbed by anything. Just sitting there, listening sounds of it, seeing it and sensing in general opens the door. :) With lasers it is surreal, really - but it might be extremely dangerous. I noticed there is enormous number of insect flying now. Once they cross the beam, it is a very bright flash - not very convenient to see. Often the moths even burn their wings when hitting collimated beam of high power - I've seen it many times - moths on ground below the beam path trying to fly without success.

For most people the philosophical questions are not really important, they focus on common questions. Still, I do not believe they asked some questions themselves. To these questions I'm trying to give answers, still these are hard to get if you focussed only on common things you have experience with (size and weight scales, space, time...) - I call it common experience. Quantum mechanics and general relativity are good examples of stuff people just cannot get. I'm member of Cosmology facebook group and the questions and answers I read there are often not only completely wrong, but often even do not make sense at all. That happens, when you are not able to think out of the box, refuse your common experience as dogma and step by step adopt what QM and GR really says. As they are talking about stuff out of our common experience (for common experience Newton is just good enough approximation), they cannot be understood by concepts coming out from common experience - might seem as paradox as here common sense is used. :D

Regarding prints - you might print small version (like 10x15 cm) - the higher resolution is available under click of pics for download. Do not print larger - you will waste your money. I guarantee you, you will be dissapointed if you use CMYK. The colors like blue and green will be completely wrong. Only 473 nm might be more less accurate, but 532 nm for example is completely out.

Radim

WazUp? (Up = update)

Almost summer light rain...

That's what prevented me from capturing my artwork in progress. Stormy clouds, bit of lightnings and thunders. Hot and humid. We had 30 degrees Celsius today most of the day, after I returned home outside temperature was 19.6 around 9 pm. In the forest, where hot air is held by layers of dense leaves it was likely more. It was long continuos light rain, little to no wind. Therefore water from leaves managed to vaporise before becoming too heavy to fall on ground. This raised the temperature due to humidity what I guess was around 22-23 degrees.

There was even heavy rain during the night. Nothing healthy for my lasers, as it takes some time to package everything and in case of sudden heavy rain I could get at least some of them wet.

In "mild" climate and the fact, that 19th April was last snow here, this is somewhat wild. Crazy weeks, where all possible conditions (extept tornadoes and few other extremes here) were able to fit one day, I have no doubts saying that.

Artwork in progress

Extensive analysis of the best testshot has been done. Conclusion: Horrible. To be honest, in my beginings after receiving my 589 nm Yellowie it would be my best shot. Something awesome and from Laser Sun it would be the second best (but it would be close).

For example one of the errors was even my Sky Beauty (473 nm) switched to (near)TEM01 at the end of the exposure and creating therefore double beam. I wrapped it too much/ran it too long, so better cooling was needed. I'm still learning.

So... I'm working on the artwork further. I have several tips for better composition, correcting the errors and exposure times. It is much easier to use feeling with experience and science based assumptions instead of using stopwatch. There is too much stuff to handle fast and do the art. Anyway I often count time in my head, to have some reference.

DPSS instabilities experiment

As always I could not stay home and went in the forest on my bike. The above mentioned conditions seemed interesting to me to try what I observed earlier, I tested my Evo for mode hopping and tried to find some thermal instabilities of quite simple DPSS laser. I mean compared to more advanced lab lasers with ring cavity for example.

Note: I warmed up laser immediately after pulling it out, to ensure it is higher temperature than environment to prevent any moisture condensating. There was a slight power drop observed, about to the level it is not able to light cigarette (common from my experience). Usually at temperature of evironment around 25 degrees Celsius. Anyway the laser was not hot, just slightly warmer than usual, but nothing extreme. I used quite fresh Energizer Lithium AAs for powering it.

That was really nice experiment. ;) I loved it. This laser is extremely great for studying it. I read of course a lot of theory, but seeing this in real is something awesome.

Just see commented pics from mobile cam, sorry for quality, I just resized them to fit here better. I think they are sufficient for ilustration purposes.

Projection screen - a tree trunk. It was like 15-20 meters far from aperture I guess. Beam was collimated as coming out of laser. Slightly dirty protection cap (but just a few dust particles – nothing changing much the beam according to my experience – it is just not as clean dot as the coming from lens being protected) as this one used is heavy duty, I have another one for precise lasering with Evo.

(Near) TEM00 at full power. Usualy it is nice round TEM00, but the conditions and longer use make it out of optimum range.

It might be not noticeable much on the photo, but there was a thin line of slight decrease in intensity crossing the dot in the middle. Therefore it was not perfect Gaussian profile. I noticed it by a very close look at the dot and needed to reposition it to confirm and make sure it is not caused by structure of the trunk or someting else.

Lowest power - TEM01. It is usual for Evo to be stable at this mode on low power, but now I observed not only initial switch, but rapid switching instead. I observed it earlier under slightly different conditions. It looked like strobe mode, closer look on beam showed the truth. The frequency of switching was quite stable, around 4 Hz, I guess. Now I could not find settings, which would induce such a stable switching.

Sequence: TEM00 - near TEM00 -near TEM01 - TEM01 and back

I observed it even at somehow colder conditions and it was more TEM00 - TEM01, sometimes near TEM00 and near TEM01. Maybe video of it would be nice. Anyway this was first when I observed this effect, but on some mid power.

Some mid power - TEM02 transiting rapidly between TEM01 in various combinations. You can see also photo through glasses from my first observation when it was more stable at TEM02 earlier this month, here it was more stable. Also hard to capture as it was still changing. (The earlier pic is from much shorter distance and different tree was used.)

And finally something I’ve never seen before with EVO – TEM03! At some mid power, I cannot really distingush between mid power above used as they were really close.

Changing through some middle stages. At one moment it was stable for a few seconds, but swithed to rapid hopping. Definitely there were clear 4 beams leading from dots to the aperture! Before I managed to take the pic of clear dots, they started to switch through middle stages again, but this one shows it quite clearly. It might look similar to TEM02, but the switching had different characteristic. I also checked if there is nothing obstructing the beam of course.

And some not that underexposed photos for comparsion how it is seen – very bright.

TEM01 – You might notice interference patterns caused by two beams interfering.

TEM00 (near TEM00) – The dot is very bright. Anyway it was convenient to look at from side and a meter or so (no feeling of too bright light, no afterimage). The tree projection screen has quite low albedo and rough surface make the reflected light less concentrated and intense.

Outcome & tip - idea of solution to keep TEM00 for laserpainting purposes

Those experiments are leading me to idea of cooling them - best candidate is using cooling bags (you put them in freezer to cool them) and silicagel in some wrap. I discussed it before on LPF. I also considered many options of cooling, but I’m looking for something simple, versatile, reliable and fitting my needs.

Instead of neoprene I came with beta test using black paper and wrap foil and silicagel close to module. There will be cooling bag used in some zip back with air inside to insulate it a bit and have some kind of temperature regulation according to how much air is closed in the sack and creating layer of variable thickness. And this cooling wrap will cover temperature sensitive parts of the laser. In some cases even batt comparrment. This tied together with black rubber string. This would be laser prepared for laserpainting in these conditions. Even thermometer is considered, for tests. One of the questions is the positions of holes for buttons.

Once this idea is developed I could consider doing some advanced (e.g. neoprene) version. Should be very versatile for my needs.

I hope you enjoyed this wazup. ;)

Last edited: