Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Radim's laser painting

Radim

And after a looong day since early morning to evening in work I managed to spend part of the night in the forest this Monday. The conditions were superb, so worth to take a photo of the tree I was thinking about for some time...

The old tree with a beautiful soul

Reall photo, no computer graphics, just nature, lasers and moonlight, for higher resolution click the image

Old trees have a long story to tell. If you stop by and listen quietly, you can hear the history the tree lived and was witness of. You can feel it and see it in the structure of the tree itself. If you are patient enough the tree might show you its soul and you become friends.

I know all trees I captured for many years, I saw them changing during time and some of them I love enough to return often to them. Sometimes to greet them, sometimes to see how they are doing, to share energy or just to talk a little bit. This old tree is somehow special, I noticed its hidden beauty about a month ago and now I took first photo of his soul by touch of laser. It was a magic night full of moonlight in the deep black forest, but the old tree turned colourful sharing tacit story of his life with me. I love these moments being in night forest enjoying the feeling of secrets hidden in the darkness just waiting to be discovered. So exciting, so relaxing...

Last edited:

Radim

After being inspired by ArcticDude's amazing photos with diffraction gratings here and here, where he used his great RGB laser (I'm considering it as a project in the future), I could not resist and hit the diffraction grating with true yellow laser (589 nm) yesterday. :)

Merging worlds

(real photo, no computer graphics, just laser painting, click on the image for higher resolution)

The world of real and the world of surreal (the most suitable word in my mind right now to describe the other world) are interconnected, they merge in magic harmony into the united single world. Where are you now? In the land of dreams or in the reality?

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I really like that shot Radim.:) Excellent use of focus. I liked it enough that I had a go with Photoshop for a bit with that image. With a little bit of editing I was able to make it look a little like a portal to a more colourful world. With more time it could look a lot better. :D I'd thought I would share it with you. :beer:

Radim_portal.jpg

Last edited:

Radim

Oh, that's beautiful, Oliver. :gj: Thank you for sharing that. I cannot do it like this as I tend to use photoshop just to get the photo from RAW - capturing reality as much as possible. Just my approach... :) But not a dogma at all.

And thank you a lot, I'm very happy you like this pic. The depth of field is crucial to get this kind of photo with sphere in focus. Especially in close range with large focal length. But if I use smaller aperture to get larger depth of field, longer exposure is needed to keep the reasonable ISO - so I just need to paint slower and keep that on my mind. :D And also the camera process it longer than, what is just more time consuming...

BTW I found an old stump of beautiful shape on which the sphere sits. As it is movable I've hidden it in the forest for future use as it is too heavy to carry it home. Hopefully noone finds it when picking wood. :)

Edit: I wanted to rep you, but I'm in my rep spreading period now.

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks Radim, I know your work is all about not photoshopping the effects but I just had to give it a go. :p
I hope no-one stumbles across it in the woods. It will be a shame to lose it.
I can't rep you yet either. :D

Radim

BTW: When I was thinking more about your edited version, Oliver, it is great how you expressed your point of view. Everybody has their unique perception of the world (both worlds actually), so it is a very nice response as you put yourself in the photo. Thanks again for sharing. ;)

Edit: Another interesting point if the worm hole was observed, it would look probably like this - in 2D world it would be a circle, in 3D the equivalent is a sphere. Interesting. However my perception of the sphere in my artworks is it is a kind of border, but not the worm hole in the sense as described in scientific hyphoteses and theories. I think I mentioned in some post above. :)

Last edited:

Radim

The Magic Soul

(Real photo, absolutely no computer graphics, just pure laser painting. For higher resolution click the image.)

This artwork is dedicated to my beloved second half, who in the real world is beautiful, calm and etheric creature like The Tree.

In The Other World - The World of Souls, The Surreal World of Dreams, she is so deep, far beyond imagination, even more beautiful and full of pure magic. But her roots are hidden in depths of darkness and impossible to reach. Her soul is like The Magic Soul of The Tree.

The viewer might notice, she is not alone, I'm there with her like the tree on the left...

Warning: For this photo, six high powered lasers of class 3B and 4 with various optics were used, laser safety has to be strictly followed including use of proper eye protection for composition and exposure of photo like this. Lasers are safe only if treated safe.

Here the from behind the scene exclusively for LPF some points of my laser painting artwork learning process and practical experience - focus on safety

In this photo there was a bit complicated composition resulting in much more complicated exposure as whole scene was covered by laser beams coming from two sources in oposite directions. I had to remember, where the safe zones were and use safety glasses when moving through "not safe" zones. I had to move carefully between the beams sometimes and not to cross the beams, like in Hollywood action movie.
However, the 532 nm "liquid sky" was not that dangerous as over 100 mW was spread in a very large area in reasonable distance - not even 1 % of power was able to hit my eye considering just the size of the eye pupil compared to the laser line length about the same distance (of course I know the centre is brighter, but I was moving in the side beam on the picture on the left). Anyway I took it like it was colimated beam at full power.

The more worried I was about diffracted 589 nm as it covered large area and beams around the centre were definitely above 5 mW, if I consider my Spartan could go to about 100 mW. Luckily just weaker side beams were in the area I moved often, so even if I had to switch glasses for green and yellow and turn my back to the sources where both wavelengths met, if I could not manage it likely blink reflex was protecting me. It was a great training for even more complex setup as I have so many ideas, but I do not feel confident to try them yet.

If you have seen "liquid sky" effect of 1 W 520 nm green covering whole area of forest clearing and all this surface of pure coherent energy coming from little device in your hand brightly illuminating not only the clearing itself, but also projecting awesome line on trees hundreds of meters far, you just gain respect from trying taking pictures of something like this without enough experience. I tried it when I started with laser painting. Just to see the effect and it was impressive and scary together. If somebody was observing it, they would think that extraterrestrials had just landed. :D Just to note, the conditions were controlled, no wildlife, humans or anything was at the scene and I started at low power first of course.

In addition when taking this photo, I experienced some trouble with my over 800 mW 532 nm, where the switch got stuck in on position and I urgently needed to switch it off for cooling. Luckily I've had a key in my pocket, so it was just like - point it in some remote safe area out from the scene, find key quickly and turn it off. From this experience I just consider getting some more comfortable safety pin or adding a little piece of rope under it, as the one I use is quite hard to pull out quickly - new experience earned. However in case of emergency there was always a mechanical aperture shutter, but safety pin or button is just more comfortable to deal with.

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
No problem Radim. :) It is art and it is subjective and like you said, everyone has their own perspectives on things.
As for your wormhole point, this is how I always perceive a wormhole. :p

Wurmloch.jpg

I like science so always see them in their literal form. :D

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
It is one of the most realistic visualisations of a wormhole that I can find. :)

Radim

But it lacks frequency shift - I would expect some color changes. The same case - no shift, but realistic visualisation - the large black hole in Interstellar movie. Kip Thorne helped them with that. However black holes and worm holes are different, I'm sure you know about these issues as it is your hobby, Oliver - I just mentioned that for the other readers.

Warning - spoiler follows:
https://youtu.be/YdSz12Glhlw

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
You're right their is no colour shift, but in terms of how the space warps around it, I particularly like the image. I don't see any particular differences between a wormhole and a black hole myself. I also like looking into the possibilities of white holes.

Radim

Well - let's say a black hole is one way road. ;-) And it is almost sure they exist, but worm holes are hypothetical. For creating one of macroscopic dimensions very exotic stuff is needed. Also it might be made into the time machine (just take one portal on your long trip by relativistic speed and left one on Earth and when you return - you have time machine) even for travelling into past and imagine portals close to each other - if you light laser into the one and it comes from another portal before you even push on the button and enters the first one again - so very soon there would be feedbacked loop (like if you put a mic close to repro, which are connected) of infinite energy which would destroy it even one single photon is able to do it. This is one of the concerns... But in the world of quantum mechanics - they are supposed to exist and to be very common. Interesting...

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I believe black holes are interdimensional wormholes that have to have white hole counterparts. I very much believe that the universe is a information based matrix, that exists as part of a 5D multiverse. Many instances in QM can be explained by introducing another temporal dimension. The wavefunction is exactly that, a 5D concept. I can think of more, but can't think of how to word it.

Radim

I believe black holes are interdimensional wormholes that have to have white hole counterparts. I very much believe that the universe is a information based matrix, that exists as part of a 5D multiverse. Many instances in QM can be explained by introducing another temporal dimension. The wavefunction is exactly that, a 5D concept. I can think of more, but can't think of how to word it.

Well, I've had this opinion as well earlier, along with many others. For example one of them was that in every moment some event might happen or not (in terms of quantum mechanics), the universe just do both things and "replicate" itself into the two parallel universes (one with the event occured and without) - causality problems of time travel solved (?).

My opinion and deep belief is much wider and complex now - but not necessairly contradictional to above stated. And this is what I try to tell with my artworks.

I believe in the two worlds, which are merged, we perceive the reality more, but what it is in the sense of quantum mechanics? I believe that the "blurry esence" of quantum mechanics (which is or maybe used to be called randomness) is not that random at all. This is the place where the second world - I call it surreal world, world of dreams, world of souls - is hidden (the key word for this is quantum foam). The information might be processed through it, stored and projected through colapse of wave function (event like interaction of two particles) into the real world. As the information is processed in real world as well, it is valid vice versa - It is just one single world, just we perceive it in two ways. In this surreal world there in all time happening in one moment and space is infinitely small and infinitely big. Actually there does not exist anything like space or time in this world, it is just the thing in the real world. I believe that every particle of matter has its soul in this sense and when matter creates such a complex structure like human with its brain, the soul becomes also that complex and voilà - we have consciousness here. The complexity and the capability of matter to enter the dream world and use it is what differs the living and not living matter. As even single cell organisms use the thermodynamic noise in to enter deeper levels (the surreal world) to get feedback for their developement and adjustment in the terms of macroscopic structures -> life. I've read some article that we would not be here if this principle did not work as the evolution is so slow. Also look for photosynthesis - also quantum mechanics involved to process it efectively. And many many other examples.... Hard to explain in a few words. It is an really interesting stuff and there exist new science "trends" like quantum biology, which sees it in this sense. I might recommend some books I liked regarding this topic.

BTW In my point of view even god exists, there is also a place for many fantasy worlds - like LOTR world, Terry Prattchet's world, Rowling's magic world... They are happening in our brain structures, in books etc. And every though of any individual is real in the sense of affecting reality as commonly perceived.

I used to think in the strictily scientific explanation of the real world, but as there were becoming more questions than answers as I was gaining more and more knowledge. Now I see even eastern philosophy (I refuse to call it religion) as one way of seeing and entering the surreal world. Another one might be through psychology - changed consciousness states like on some drugs, meditation or even through holotropic breathwork. I suggest to look for Stanislav Grof's works on this and LSD experiments. Interesting read...

And finally - regarding black holes - there are much more questions than answers. Look for singularity for example - this is the place where general relativity just does not work as it needs to be merged with quantum mechanics, which is kind of saint grail of current (theoretical) physics. I believe if they look it in this way, they might get some solution. Or Hawking's radiation - does it really comes chaotic with no information? But this is for longer, much longer discussion...

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Interesting views Radim. I share some similarities with you there. I'll pm you later to discuss this further as I don't want to fill up your thread and distract away from your work. :)