Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Radiant X4 LPM Review

NO4H99

So I was in the market for an LPM at just the right time. I saw the Radiant come out, took one look at the price tag, and pulled the trigger on it. So here are the results:

Purchasing: The website, Illumination Supply, was easy to navigate. No problems at all with the purchasing process. I placed my order on Thursday afternoon, the payment went though early morning on Friday, and the package shipped out Monday.

Shipping/Packaging: The package shipped out Monday and was delivered on Wednesday. Pretty good for free 5-7 day shipping! It was well packed, with plenty of padding and the meter itself in an esd packet.

8nno.jpg

eqj4.jpg

Performance: I am very happy with the LPM overall. The 3D printed case fits perfectly (would highly suggest that you get that with your order). The LCD screen is nice and bright, with white numbers so you can see the reading even with safety goggles. It is clean and compact, powered by the usb-b cord. The sensor area is plenty large and adequately heatsinked. The facts that it can read up to 3.7w and is mac compatible are very big plusses too. With a usb outlet adaptor, the unit can be used without a computer too. As far as data logging, a few things need to be changed on the computer for it to connect the lpm and Peregrine, but the friendly members of LPF were quick to help me with that (thanks Trevor!). The only con that I can find is the fairly slow response time, but that is to be expected with a TEC setup. (The advertised 95% response time seems to be accurate at 25 to 30 seconds, but that last 5% can take quite a while to register.) I've attached some charts to demonstrate performance (response time, accuracy, etc), along with charts from TheJoker301's LB lpm (to compare readings), and some more pics. (and yes, i keep the film on the LCD display:))

8nno.jpg

m3em.jpg

6yp8.jpg

o4m7.jpg

7nno.jpg

ltqh.JPG

ujv7.jpg

1x50.jpg

dsou.jpg

7zvi.png

6z5o.jpg

1a34.png

8505-epson070.jpg

9nwd.png

Overall, I am extremely pleased with the purchase, service, and product itself. It is an excellent price, well made, reads up to 3.7 watts, and is compatible with Windows/Mac/Linux. I would recommend both the Radiant X-4 and Illumination Supply without any reservation.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Re: Radiant X-4 LPM Review

Cool meter!

Glad to see an affordable meter available to hobbyists for <100$ again!

Thanks for the detailed review! :beer:

Nice review, thanks for sharing!

The only qualms I have about the Radiant X4 is the below par response time, but nothing can beat its price. :)

Will +1 when I can. :beer:

The price is unbeatable, especially with the features the Radiant X4 offers that other LPM's twice the price simply do not have.

Nice review :beer: +1

sinner

The only qualms I have about the Radiant X4 is the below par response time, but nothing can beat its price. :)

That's exactly what I would say , the response time is actually not THAT big of a problem, It is better to know the minimum stable output of a laser, than a peak that last for a split second and then drops untill the laser gets stable.

Not so long ago one had to spend three times the price to get something like this but it still needed a datalogging module for another 100 bucks.

+1 for the review, looks really good and easy to use.

Nice review ! :)

I also have one on it's way here ... it will be here tomorrow :)

And it is nice to see that the 1.2W I sent you did 1.3W on the test. My 2.5W lpm was a bit inaccurate. It actually tested the lasers at a lower output than the real output as the sensor paint has been degraded.

So this new LPM looks very good :) And for the price ... I could not resist as well :)

+1 on the review :beer:

great review on a great product. considering the price, response time becomes a small issue in my mind. i agree with sinner. i'd bet the manufacture is working on this. the only downside i see is my laserbee has lost some resale value.

Your one of thise crazy film people! I peal it off things when im at other peoples houses lol. Good review and an awesome meter!

NO4H99

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

As a far as the response time, it's really not a problem with anything except greens. For a diode laser, you can trace back to where the peak would be fairly well.

I also forgot to add that when I sent Craig a PM with a question, he got back to me within 24 hours.

NO4H99

Whats wrong with the response time isn't it faster than a laserbee?

It gets up to 95% in less than 30 seconds, but takes until the minute mark or longer to register that last 5%. Honestly though, there's very little difference between 3w and 3.15w, 1w and 950mw, or 100mw and 95mw.

It gets up to 95% in less than 30 seconds, but takes until the minute mark or longer to register that last 5%. Honestly though, there's very little difference between 3w and 3.15w, 1w and 950mw, or 100mw and 95mw.

Oh alright I see thanks! Doesn't seem like to much of a big deal:)

ARG

Nice review :)

Your one of thise crazy film people! I peal it off things when im at other peoples houses lol. Good review and an awesome meter!

It bugs me too. Peeling the film off of a new device is the best part :D

Whats wrong with the response time isn't it faster than a laserbee?

Response speed will depend on the TEC size, the laserbees and the X4 both use 15mm^2 TEC's so laserbees and X4's will have similar response times, but it will vary from unit to unit.

I feel the same way! I feel like its just a waste. Like when people cover their couches with plastic for their entire lives and never get to fully enjoy it

NO4H99

To address all film-related concerns :D, I do peel it off, after I leave it for a few weeks/months. This way, I feel like I have a new unit even after 3 months of use.