Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Radiant X4: A LPM for the masses at Illumination Supply!

csshih

Just a question, Is there a general LPF coupon like the CPF one? Or is there a LPF directed coupon just for the X4? Just wondering..

Not at the moment, as we wanted to give everyone a deal :)
However, if you're interested in a LPM to replace the stolen ophir :( , fire a PM off to me and I'll see what I can do.

RayJay

Not at the moment, as we wanted to give everyone a deal :)
However, if you're interested in a LPM to replace the stolen ophir :( , fire a PM off to me and I'll see what I can do.

No worries, PM Incoming

Oh man!!! I'm scrounging everything I got together now so I can get one of these!

EDIT: scrounged enough :) ORDERED!

Last edited:
What is a "standard USB-B cable"? Because a google search provides a few different results. Is it this? :thanks:

rhd

What is a "standard USB-B cable"? Because a google search provides a few different results. Is it this? :thanks:

1 5M 5ft USB 2 0 Type A Male to B Male Printer Cable | eBay

It's kind of odd that the Radiant doesn't come with the cable, since it's a 50 cent item. You'd think it would be worth that tiny cost just to avoid confusion and make the product complete.

I have tons of cables laying around, but I didn't have one of these. This is one of the older USB connectors, and I haven't owned anything that used them in years. Most USB devices these days employ the mini (or now, micro) USB connectors, and the last 3 or 4 printers I've purchased were wireless. I had to order a cable separately from the Radiant. Not a big deal, and as mentioned, only 50 cents, so not a huge cost either. But it took a week longer than my Radiant to arrive. Seems like an odd item not to include.

EDIT: For the next revision of the Radiant, I suggest switching to a Micro USB connector if people are supplying their own cable. I think it's a safer bet that most people these days have tons of Micro USB cables laying around.

Last edited:

csshih

It's kind of odd that the Radiant doesn't come with the cable, since it's a 50 cent item. You'd think it would be worth that tiny cost just to avoid confusion and make the product complete.

Funny enough, it was to lower shipment weight for international customers.

1-2 oz = $6.16
2-4 oz = $8.88
5-8 oz = $11.48
9-12 oz = $13.41
13-16 oz = $15.08

This doesn't include insurance and packaging costs.

Compare this to China who can sell a cord to you for $1.5 shipped.... :mad: It's not that shipping in china is normally that cheap, it's subsidized by the USPS who keep increasing postage costs here.

the USB cords we looked at were 2-3 oz each, which usually put the shipments into the next shipping category up.

IWIRE

That's a trip. More for shipping than a cable cost. I can see why you don't include them. I also agree with rhd, I have a pile of micro usb cables and no printer cables. It's a real bummer when something you order shows up just to find out you can't use it.

rhd

Funny enough, it was to lower shipment weight for international customers.

1-2 oz = $6.16
2-4 oz = $8.88
5-8 oz = $11.48
9-12 oz = $13.41
13-16 oz = $15.08

This doesn't include insurance and packaging costs.

Compare this to China who can sell a cord to you for $1.5 shipped.... :mad: It's not that shipping in china is normally that cheap, it's subsidized by the USPS who keep increasing postage costs here.

the USB cords we looked at were 2-3 oz each, which usually put the shipments into the next shipping category up.

Interesting!

At the end of the day, I frankly wouldn't care if you had included nothing, not even a USB PORT! This LPM is such a game changer and benefit to the community that I would have happily soldered my own bare wires to the board ;)

That's a trip. More for shipping than a cable cost. I can see why you don't include them. I also agree with rhd, I have a pile of micro usb cables and no printer cables. It's a real bummer when something you order shows up just to find out you can't use it.

I think this ^ is probably the solution for any future iterations.

Are you sure about that? I don't live in the US and China shipping is still free for us... I'm pretty sure our government/postal service wouldn't subsidize because they're making a lot of effort to ban chinese online sales.

csshih

Are you sure about that? I don't live in the US and China shipping is still free for us... I'm pretty sure our government/postal service wouldn't subsidize because they're making a lot of effort to ban chinese online sales.

Yes. Postal Service Initiates ePacket Service with Hongkong Post

Note that eBay had a big say in this agreement.
I'm not really familiar with other countries' agreements but seriously, they can ship the cables cheaper international than I can domestic. :wtf:

The next LPM will be a higher cost/performance one, but will include cables :)

Craig

Last edited:
Got the meter today THANKS! Got it hooked up and did some tests without data-logging, works awesome!

Now onto data-logging... Peregrine and Radiant both... simply don't see the meter. Can't connect to nothing. :( I've gone through the manuals and read through posts. The LPM was set properly when trying each logger. Peregrine was already set to OpenLPM, still nothing.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys!

I have a problem. I made my order for an LPM and a blue case on July 8th. I received it today (very fast :yh:), however the only thing in the box was the case, I would suspect that you shipped them separately but the packing slip says the case and LPM should be in there and you only gave me one tracking number.

ARG

Now onto data-logging... Peregrine and Radiant both... simply don't see the meter. Can't connect to nothing. :( I've gone through the manuals and read through posts. The LPM was set properly when trying each logger. Peregrine was already set to OpenLPM, still nothing.

What operating system are you on? Did you install the drivers?

What operating system are you on? Did you install the drivers?

Windows 8... I did, but after re-checking, I see they didn't take for some reason. EVERY time I get windows updates, it screws my computer up until I reboot again after it has rebooted. :p Reinstalled through the device manager. CONNECTS!

Just ran my first few tests! I tell you, this is my first time using an LPM. It - is - FUN!

Interesting to see how it takes these used batts about 1 minute to get to full power. They're wearing out, which shows in every test peaking a little bit lower than the previous one. Once it hits peak though, I'm very pleased to see it holding very steady for quite a long time after.

Thanks guys! :D

EDIT: here's my first graph. :) Interesting to note, I expected this was a 1.3W since I built it, but it actually topped off at 1392.8mW with the old laptop cells I was using. It might actually break 1400 with some good batteries.
I switched out the 3 element glass lens for a G2, and funny enough, it had a slower warm up, and topped off under 1200mW. I was really disappointed after seeing so much hype about the G2s... ran a third test with the 3 element glass lens to make sure the batteries weren't simply just being drained so fast. It topped out just under 1300mW, so it did lose some energy, but the 3 element is outperforming the G2 I have.

1400mW-QuassimotoLPM.png

Last edited: