Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Question about a powerful blue laser

Good man,
Now, you don't want a big,bad, blue for astronomy (shock and awe, burning, whatever).

Like Hak said, start with parts for a small wattage blue (much cheaper diode), or a RED (even cheaper), build one of those, then work up to your killer blue. You WILL kill one or more along the way.
Good luck, have fun, be SAFE.

NO probs-- I get this all the time ansd am used to it-
think of me to be testing your patience-- If you have none then you -like many others will skip some of the things needed and want to see your diode lase TOO SOON- like when not properly pressed into a module AND that module placed inside a GOOD heat sink- some want to use a battery to test too soon- like a 9V- not a good idea-

The list in my other post is NOT complete--

if you dont know well what these things mean then you are not ready-

safest way to go may be a JAD ot JADD kit-

as some of the dangers are avoided- less soldering for you --less chance of overheat with soldering iron= some come with driver mA pre set to your choice ( no need to own a dummy load PS or DMM)

There are sevearl LEMs on the west coast- two in Cal and one in Portland- at these you can get free hands-on help and meet a bunch of old & new friends from the forum but face to face-- these events often have a workshop set-up with *mosy* every thing needed to do a build- they are geared more towards laser projectors and shows but most started out with HHelds and some pros own a few--and the basics are the same--

my list above is not complete but if you do not have a good understanding of what these things are you will fail-

also-- when a thread comes up like yours-- expect replies like mine but even less understanding - so my reply may save you from another vets who may be much 'meaner' than I am-- is some ways I am testing your level of patience.. a thing that is a must for laser builders-- if you fail to do all that is needed (like ESD precautions or the shorting of ALL CAPS) your project will fail --

its easy to make a cold soldering joint or the reverse==too hot and the heat effected the driver/diode-- so practice a LOT before EVER working with a $$ diode--

Never assume the pin-out -- a good diode seller will send you a printed pin-out

avoid too much use of twisted wires(no solder) or poor connections (like allligator clips)
and lots of on & off is bad for your diode-- TTL Blanking can do this for you w/o harm.

I suggest reading most stickies in all sections here-
there are ones on MANY topics like soldering ET AL.

Dr Sam's Laser FAQ and sites like Lasorb at Pangolin.com have tons of info--

AixiZ has LOTS of parts and some are sold using the word 'kit' BUT AixiZ is not a forum

or a how-to site- as there is JUST TOO much you need to know- and most AixiZ customers know what they are doing w/o any help..

most who fail in a build get ahead of themselves- truth is ...some like Sam or Chuck or Dr Lava have PHDs in laser fields- so knowing that fact should be another sign.
..to first-timers-

this is no simple science- there are not many shortcuts--

good luck and glad you are sticking it out--

Aboy do not feel like Hak is singling you out to be picked on! He is just a little rough around the edges. He did the same thing to me not all that long ago. The reason for finding our were you are is it does two things. It allows us to make sure your. not just going to spam the forum, and second that you really interested in the hobby and willing to work on what you want to build. Man come here and ask the same old questions ( I did to) that have been answered a million times. Use the search function on LPF or use google there all hundred of threads and tutorials on how to build lasers! I started out with some cheap red modules.and built laser from them that is the best way in my book

Aboy

I want to learn because I fell it's a lot of fun a bout it ( but safety first ).

I friend made one a blue one and looks awesome. Also on my H-alpha solar filter u can see the laser pointing the sun and that was neat.

By the way I'll check all Hak was told me about all the pats and meanings :) again sorry for the rough beginning.

Also something off topic I'll show you guys one of my solar pictures:

12238981345_587d0d2835_c_d.jpg

PS. Sorry for my English.

If you want to build a laser quickly, best thing is to order a pre-assembled diode and driver like the ones DTR (for example) sells. On one hand, it's simple because most of the really meticulous work will be done for you. On the other, it can still surprise you because even though you just "solder it up" and whatnot, it can be harder than it looks.

I did this when repairing a laser I accidentally broke and it still took me a good couple hours to get it done. I didn't (and still don't) have a "helping hands" setup so I had to rig one up using a chemistry lab stand and figure out how to hold the wires while soldering. It isn't difficult per se, you just have to learn how to do it.

Still haven't built one "from scratch" because I don't feel that I have the right setup at this time, rather not do it at all than do it wrong. There is no rush on any of it. Good luck and have fun with it.

Last edited: