Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Quality #18650 Batteries & Charger

Here is what happened.

Fresh:
AW 4.18
This 4.15

Used:
AW Went for 11 min and was 4.07V no flashing
This went for 56 seconds and flashed and was at 4.15V

It does this fast weird flashing, not like the slowly getting faster flashes I get from draining an AW cell. What is different about these batteries?

DTR

You could be having a connection issue. The Sanyo should be a little shorter than the AW due to the lack of a protection circuit. Can you tell if it is loose at all in the host when the tailcap is screwed down? I use the Sanyo 2600mAh batteries and can run a dual flex unit @ 1.8A for 10 minutes without any problems.

Here is what happened.

Fresh:
AW 4.18
This 4.15

Used:
AW Went for 11 min and was 4.07V no flashing
This went for 56 seconds and flashed and was at 4.15V

It does this fast weird flashing, not like the slowly getting faster flashes I get from draining an AW cell. What is different about these batteries?

Toaster;

was at 4.15V

That behavior is very strange for new LG 2600mah cells.

Especially since the voltage is at 4.15 VDC at the end of the test period.

This voltage indicates 90% of the battery capacity is still unused.

That would indicate a driver issue.

If you don't get better results, return them, and I will exchange them for Sanyo cells, or refund your payment (whichever you choose).

LarryDFW

Last edited:
Alright... I trust that they work as I have read wonderful reviews but mine just dont seem to. I realized they were unused as the voltage didnt move.. Hmm.Ill try operating the laser in different orientations.

What I dont get is why is has the 1 min run times before.

Last edited:
Toaster;

After a quick search, it appears that a few others have seen the Microboost also do this with "charged batteries":

ReNNo - (microboost). . . Not only price is a problem but stability. My last build was set to 800mA and when battery goes under 4V laser starts to strobe.

At 4 Volts the microboost should NOT be strobing.

Many 18650 cells will drop from 4.15 to 4.00 VDC with several amps of discharge current.

Another microboost w/ AW 2600 battery:
From rev0
- Driver: MicroBoost
Current: 1200mA
Battery: AW 2600mA 18650
Power: ~1000mw (Not verified, no proper LPM to use, it can light candles)
Host/Heatsink: Jayrob SS 18650 (Aurora SH-032) w/Copper Heatsink
Run Time: ~1 hr

I can only run it for about a minute straight before the driver overheats and starts flickering.

I think the wrong component is getting the blame for the strobing.

LarryDFW

P.S. The microboost manual also states:
A good rule of thumb to follow for input/output conversion is:
(Vout (Volts) * Iout (Amps) ) / Vin (Volts) < 1.2
Toaster Input - 5.5 x 1.2 /4 = 1.65 = Over Max Design Spec

Last edited:
I just finished testing my 2 18650's, and they lase quite a bit longer (more than double!!!) than my trustfire battery's.

I highly reccomend these to anyone who wants longer run times on their laser.

-Matt

AAlasers;

The "low internal resistance" Sanyo 2600mah cells are the best choice for the Flexdrive.

I don't know if the Flexdrive will output 1.5A at the voltage the 445nm diode requires.

I have run one @ 1 amp.

Dr Lava rule of thumb to follow for input/output conversion is:
[Vout (Volts) * Iout (Amps)] / Vin (Volts) < 1.2
Your Design: [5V x 1.5A] /4V = 1.875 = Over Max Design Spec

LarryDFW

Last edited:
The "low internal resistance" Sanyo 2600mah cells will deliver 1Amp with the Flexdrive.

The Flexdrive is maxed out @ 1A at the voltage the 445nm diode requires.

Dr Lava rule of thumb to follow for input/output conversion is:
[Vout (Volts) * Iout (Amps)] / Vin (Volts) < 1.2
Max Current Design: [4.9V x 1A] /4V = 1.22

LarryDFW

Last edited:

jakeGT

I just ordered a sanyo cell, that should be fine for my 12x using a microboost at 500mA correct?

jakeGT

i got mine within 72 hours of order, awesome guy, fast @$$ shiping, awesome batteries, good prices

what more can i say?

I got two of the Sanyo cells and the charger in the mail only a few days after ordering. I bought these after reading their good reviews on the forum. Unfortunately I can't test them against any other batteries until my o-like 400mw bluray arrives. From what i can tell they are quality batteries with a nice compact charger.

I got two of the Sanyo cells and the charger in the mail only a few days after ordering. I bought these after reading their good reviews on the forum. Unfortunately I can't test them against any other batteries until my o-like 400mw bluray arrives. From what i can tell they are quality batteries with a nice compact charger.

Yea these batteries are great. I prefer them over AW batteries actually.

burner

I bought 4 batteries and they all rock !! Much thanks Larry. Im sure ill be back for more =)

jimdt7

Hi i want to buy 2 fo the sanyo and a charger. I have pmed you but you didn't answered. Do you sell these any more ????