Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pseudo-Groupbuy: "MODC" - 12mm Module for C-Mounts

rhd

The idea:
This is an aixiz-sized (12mm diameter) module for C-Mount diodes. It centers the emitter dead centre in the module, and provides a threaded tap for affixing the C-Mount diode, as well as second threaded tap on top for attaching a lead to the case itself (neat feature). The C-Mount itself will overhang the rear of the module slightly. This is absolutely unavoidable thanks to the geometry of C-Mounts, and the 12mm diameter of the module. So the module will have to hang back in the heatsink a bit.

Here's the design:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The pseudo-groupbuy:
Here's the deal. After the horrible outcome of the attempted groupbuy with StevieDezie scamming us out of our money, I don't have the heart to setup another groupbuy using eMachineShop. The time lines for waiting on eMachineShop make it too dangerous for those who contribute money ahead of time.

I'm not going to ask for (nor will I accept) any money up front. Rather, I will just take a commitment to purchase the modules once they're made, in my hands, and verified to work with C-Mount diodes. I'm going to fund the project myself, place the order, and wait till I have them in hand before collecting payments and sending the mounts.

Instead of committing with money, I'm just going to maintain a list here of verbal (errr, "written" I suppose) commitments to purchase later. Please don't commit unless you're really committing to follow-through. On this note, I won't put new members (or members with minimal posts or no rep) on the list, but I'll still happily sell you one of the extras once they arrive.

So, this list is really for the benefit of seeing if a bulk CNC fabrication is viable. I still haven't paid off my costs in ordering those MOD9s.

These will cost more than the MOD9s, because it will be a much smaller run. If anyone has a cheaper source for such a small run, let me know. The cost will be:
2 pcs, for $25 USD, includes shipping to anywhere.

And we need 20 participants. Please don't commit unless you will follow through with payment once these arrive:
1) Daguin
2) BHWollen (x13)
3) Johnyz
4) jnhowett
5) 532 with Envy (x2)
6) icecruncher
7) rocket689
8)
9)
10)
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19)
20)

Attachments

• view1.jpg
    view1.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 866
  • view2.jpg
    view2.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 902
  • view3.jpg
    view3.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 974
Last edited:

Johnyz

Re: The "MODC" - Who can create 10x of these for me?

That's some great designing skills you have! If you advertise them as 12mm modules for C-Mount diodes, I'm sure there will be demand. Know all these rare and exotic diodes? We could finally start making use of them! Oh and, I'm in for one when you get them made. About the 7A driver, I'll PM you some schematics on monday (right now I'm in middle of a forest on a 1000 B/s GPRS internet with a laptop that crashes every 20 minutes...).

rhd

Changed the nature of this thread to become a pseudo-groupbuy (one where I just collect commitments to buy, not actual funds)

After the StevieDeezie disaster, I don't have the heart, guts, or desire to run an eMachineShop groupbuy. So I'm just going to collect an honour-based promise to come through with funds at a later date once these are made and ready to mail to the participants.

Very nice of you to run it this way. It's a little risky for you, but since you are only going to take commitments from established members you should reduce the risks.

Johnyz

I will look for some CNC companies over here, too. In the meantime, put me down for one of these two packs! :beer:

EDIT: Lol, seems like you could even order them from Škoda, but I'm not sure if their CNC's are too large.

Last edited:

rhd

Im in for a couple. Not to sure what ill use em with though...

Cool.

Maybe for greater clarity, when specifying interest, state it in numbers. It's a bit confusing since each $25 groupbuy slot is for 2x of these modules. So when someone is in for "a couple" that could mean two modules, which is $25. Or it could mean two groupbuy slots, which is four modules for $50.

BH: for now, I'll just be conservative and presume you mean one groupbuy slot.

Nice. You are awesome at thinking outside of the box. :) :gj:

I'd suggest bouncing those plans off of Pontiacg6 for CNC work, but I'm sure you have already thought of that. ;)

rhd

I'll stick with 2 modules for now.

So much money... but just imagine!
500mw 635nm laser diode C-mount /To-3 package | eBay

Not cheap indeed. Though somewhat more affordable, and still semi unique:
4W 980nm High Power Laser Diode! Brand New! DPSS - eBay (item 270764348366 end time Sep-09-11 19:10:47 PDT)

Nice. You are awesome at thinking outside of the box. :) :gj:

I'd suggest bouncing those plans off of Pontiacg6 for CNC work, but I'm sure you have already thought of that. ;)

I have been doing so for a couple months. He's a busy guy, and I don't want to pester any more than I have ;)

rhd

That said, if anyone here has any connection to a CNC machinist community and/or someone who can do these in a smaller lot, let me know :)

rhd

Oh sorry rhd, i wasn't clear. I will probably get on of those before the 635 I listed. ;)