Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Protected 10440 Batteries

mfo

Well after waiting a month and two days (Order was placed on November 15th, it is now December 17th) I finally received my "Protected 10440 Batteries" from DealExtreme.com. Here are my thoughts on them.

They more or less do what they are supposed to. They charge up to 4.2V and cut off around 2.8. It took me roughly an hour and a half to charge them up. My unprotected 10440's don't take as long but that's because I re-charge them before they hit the 3.0V mark (Usually 3.5V I recharge). There is one problem however. They are slightly longer than the standard AAA size battery. I couldn't find my ruler, but they look to be a tad less than 1/2 of a millimeter longer than the standard. Please refer to the images I've enclosed.

The extra length shouldn't be too much of a problem. I mean all of the devices have springs in them so your spring will just get compressed a tad more or to make things even easier you can trim the springs a bit. I personally hated the unprotected 10440's because I've had a few issues with them so for those of you that require these types of batteries, go for these instead or use a flexdrive so that you can use standard alkaline AAA's or NiMh AAA's. My first couple of builds used a Rkcstr driver so I guess I'm stuck with these 10440's.

Attachments

• DSCF0297.JPG
    DSCF0297.JPG
    536.9 KB · Views: 3,946
  • DSCF0298.JPG
    DSCF0298.JPG
    457.5 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:

nice ! i have the old model same color but UNprotected...mine is rater 600mah but i think it is less... how is rated your??

mfo

nice ! i have the old model same color but UNprotected...mine is rater 600mah but i think it is less... how is rated your??

The battery itself says 600mAh, but the website says that information is false and they are actually 350mAh. However I don't have the means to test them so it's anyone's guess as to the actual capacity.

IIRC, somebody here on the Forum did some testing on them & they DID turn out to be only 350mAh's. (it might have been IgorT or Daguin)..................... rob

mfo

IIRC, somebody here on the Forum did some testing on them & they DID turn out to be only 350mAh's. (it might have been IgorT or Daguin)..................... rob

I still am not crazy about these batteries. I might just end up selling my PHR in pen host & my LPC in my MXDL 3405....I'd rather use standard AAA's but maybe that's just me.

jayrob

You don't have to sell your hosts, just change the drivers to a FlexDrive to use standard batteries...

If you sell your protected 10440's, I'll buy them! :)

I've been waiting on my order since 11/15, with no shipping confirmation as of yet...

mfo

You don't have to sell your hosts, just change the drivers to a FlexDrive to use standard batteries...

If you sell your protected 10440's, I'll buy them! :)

I've been waiting on my order since 11/15, with no shipping confirmation as of yet...

Wow, I ordered mine on November 15th also. I'll let you know within a day or two what my intents will be. I've been thinking about it and it does make more sense (smacks self upside head). My only dilemma is having to solder a flexdrive...That thing is beyond tiny and I don't have a tiny soldering tip + my hands aren't the steadiest in the world.

The 350mAh capacity is actually listed in the item description on the DealExtreme product page. Near the bottom of the "Overview" box it states "Product print '600mAh', the exact capacity is 350mAh".

mfo

The 350mAh capacity is actually listed in the item description on the DealExtreme product page. Near the bottom of the "Overview" box it states "Product print '600mAh', the exact capacity is 350mAh".

I stated that already...

The battery itself says 600mAh, but the website says that information is false and they are actually 350mAh. However I don't have the means to test them so it's anyone's guess as to the actual capacity.

I ordered mine on 11/29 hopefully mine doesn't take that long though

I don't remember when I ordered, but I need these, I have a WL Core BR that otherwise needs a battery or spacer as normal batts are a tiny bit too short. -Glenn

mfo

It's still fromChina i think it's still going to be slow...

Well, I look at it like this. DX is a middle man, meaning they order from a supplier, wait for it to get delivered to them, then ship it out to you. Now, I just purchased two pairs directly from this seller. Sure it'll probably be slow, but I don't think it will be as bad as DX. Either way I will be sure to keep you all posted. Once I ordered a cable from China for a GPS and I received it in exactly one week. One week seems more than reasonable to me. I guess we'll see.