Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pros and Cons about Pot Modding?

JayC

I'm still new to lasers. I have a 532nm 5mw laser (Anser) from LaserGlow. I'm quite happy with it and don't intend to do any modifications with it. I saw a lot of youtube videos talking about pot modding and I wasn't sure what to make of it. Is it ever a good idea? Can every laser be pot modded? What are the pros and cons?

ARG

Eep. Don't pot mod a laser as nice as the Anser.

Pot modding is usually a recipe for killing a laser. I don't recommend it. If you want a higher power laser buy one rated at a higher power.

Your 5mW laser may do 10mW for a bit, but it will shorten the life to a few minutes in most cases.

SKeeZ

here is a great reference thread: THREAD
Search before you ask :)

Last edited:

JayC

I did search in fact, but I couldn't find one that really answered my question... Most of them were asking how to pot mod.

Tmack

I'm telling you jay. You need to set up a group buy. From laser glow!

JayC

What's a group buy? I don't into terminology :S <-- N00b

Last edited:

Tmack

Many people here would love to have some laser glow lasers but they won't ship to the us above 5 mw. Since you live so close we could all give you the money to make a bulk order and ship them out to the members. Lol just a thought I had since you said laser glow is so close. Seriously if more people were to know that laser glow was in your hometown they would flip!!!!!!!

JayC

Good to know! Wouldn't that be illegal though? I'm only 15 and I don't know if I want to get into any trouble with customs...

Tmack

We send lasers back and forth A BUNCH. Lol but it takes a while to get enough "street credit" to arrange a group buy lol. Just something to keep in mind for the future. The forum would appreciate it very much for an opportunity to get some of their products. Wild you consider taking an order from one or two members? One being me? Lol

Tmack

Well thanks!!!! Prepare to be scammed!!!! Jk. You would have my money and my laser, so I would be trusting you!!!!!!!!:)

NKO29

POT modding is for expendable lasers. If you are prepared to lose your laser, then go ahead and pot mod it if you like. But i'm guessing you want to keep yours :p Pot modding can often make your laser more powerful, but alot of lasers will die prematurely because of the extra current.

I pot modded a junk ebay pen a few years ago, got a good 50% increase in power for a good long while. the thing didnt die until i got a new one, and then proceed to use Styropyro's hammer mod on the pot modded one...(smashing it with a hammer into oblivion).

and on the topic of Laserglow group buys, that would be awesome if you did! I know they are a reseller of CNI, but honestly, I would rather work with native english speaking people, than the chinese workers of CNI....nothing racist, just its hard to communicate with them sometimes...plus, Laserglow is WAY closer than CNI!

ARG

and on the topic of Laserglow group buys, that would be awesome if you did! I know they are a reseller of CNI, but honestly, I would rather work with native english speaking people, than the chinese workers of CNI....nothing racist, just its hard to communicate with them sometimes...plus, Laserglow is WAY closer than CNI!

The thing about Laserglow is that they filter out all the bad lasers they get from CNI. CNI can be hit or miss, but Laserglow doesn't sell the ones that don't perform well.

Plus, they have models CNI doesn't have, Anser, Lyra, Herc ect.

Last edited: