Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Projector

Looking to get a projector to replace my tv in the living room but dont know much about them. I figured you guys tear into them a lot so maybe would know which one is best as a projector and not an expensive diode box :) looking to keep it under 1000$, high def, hdmi input, the works pretty much. Capable of at least 70 inches with a nice crisp bright picture. Let me know if there are any you recomend!

Speedy78

Any particular reason you want to do a projector and screen rather than something like a large plasma or LED?

As far as size I can get a bigger screen area for less money overall. Plus being military, the possibility of moving on short notice is there. It would be easier to move a little box than a 60 inch LED.

Things

Do you watch a lot of TV? Projectors generally have limited lamp lifetimes, around 2000 hours for most. So if you're one of those types that has the TV running 24/7, I'd consider a normal TV, or you'll probably have to look at a LED/laser projector like we get diodes from, which have much longer "lamp" lifetimes.

On the other hand, lamps aren't extremely expensive anymore, but 2000 hours will go quick if you frequently fall asleep in front of the TV, watch it for hours on end etc

Im more of the type to watch about 1 to 2 hours of tv a night so lifetime isnt a major driving factor. I figured one with LD would be more modern and better than just a plain old lamp projector. But I honestly have no idea. I just want somethig bright and vivid that is +70" for a decent cost.

sinner

Relatively expensive but i would get the benQ Laser Led hybrid it has some quality photons and crystal clear HD videos of all the projectors i have seen..
It can do well above 70" too..

If the room is small then alternatively, save half your money and get a Crappio XJ-A140 that would cost you $450-$500 shipped

daguin

I have a Casio A-250
It is mounted (on the ceiling) ~9 feet from the screen
I get ~85 inches (diagonal) on the screen

During the day, I have to close the blinds for an acceptable experience
Combined with a simple sound bar (with a wireless sub-woofer), I am very happy with it

I only watch DVD's on it, so I have no idea how TV would be on it
I don't own or watch commercial TV
I will buy a good series on DVD after the season, but not commercial broadcasts
Recommendations are always appreciated ;)
Vic and I are watching "The Wire" right now

Peace,
dave

Last edited:
Not to derail the thread. @Daguin. You should look into getting Netflix or hulu. You then get a selection of TV shows and movies. I believe both services start at $7.99/Month.

Get a older(but low hrs) Kasio- cheapest will be a A-130 then the 140- kinds hard to get one at the price Sinner mentioned but you can find one like the 140 for close to the price.
If you dont put to many hrs on it- and later decide to sell- you shoul have N/Ps getting ALL your investment back- harvest the diodes(play with the 'leftovers') and sell them on FeeBay for30- 35$ each + 5$ to ship- and you will be able to re-coup your $$ and keep several for your 445 needs.

I will be buying one in Aug to take to SELEM and use there- should enough want the diodes I will harvest them in the hotel room and sell the diodes- I already did that at SELEM 2010-

Good luck-- hope I have been helpful....... Hak

daguin

Not to derail the thread. @Daguin. You should look into getting Netflix or hulu. You then get a selection of TV shows and movies. I believe both services start at $7.99/Month.

Thanks, but I gave up "TV" over 20 years ago
I learned long ago that:
Excessive ease and availability = excessive hours sitting in front of the TV

This computer already sucks too many hours from the day ;)

Money can be made, spent, lost, and remade
When your hours are gone, you're done :angel:

Peace,
dave

Relatively expensive but i would get the benQ Laser Led hybrid it has some quality photons and crystal clear HD videos of all the projectors i have seen..
It can do well above 70" too..

That BenQ is nice. As a brand they have some just around the top of my price range. Whats the specific model number of the one you are referring too?

I have a Casio A-250
It is mounted (on the ceiling) ~9 feet from the screen
I get ~85 inches (diagonal) on the screen

During the day, I have to close the blinds for an acceptable experience
Combined with a simple sound bar (with a wireless sub-woofer), I am very happy with it

I only watch DVD's on it, so I have no idea how TV would be on it
I don't own or watch commercial TV
I will buy a good series on DVD after the season, but not commercial broadcasts
Recommendations are always appreciated ;)
Vic and I are watching "The Wire" right now

Peace,
dave

It tends to be fairly bright in my living room. I have 5 windows and light comes around the blinds.

Get a older(but low hrs) Kasio- cheapest will be a A-130 then the 140- kinds hard to get one at the price Sinner mentioned but you can find one like the 140 for close to the price.
If you dont put to many hrs on it- and later decide to sell- you shoul have N/Ps getting ALL your investment back- harvest the diodes(play with the 'leftovers') and sell them on FeeBay for30- 35$ each + 5$ to ship- and you will be able to re-coup your $$ and keep several for your 445 needs.

I will be buying one in Aug to take to SELEM and use there- should enough want the diodes I will harvest them in the hotel room and sell the diodes- I already did that at SELEM 2010-

Good luck-- hope I have been helpful....... Hak

Would it be similar to Dave's projector in power with the issue of having to close the blinds?

Speedy78

daguin

That BenQ is nice. As a brand they have some just around the top of my price range. Whats the specific model number of the one you are referring too?

It tends to be fairly bright in my living room. I have 5 windows and light comes around the blinds.

Would it be similar to Dave's projector in power with the issue of having to close the blinds?

Speedy78

Light leaks around my blinds too
My West wall has TWO 7x6 ft windows and my North wall has a 4x7 ft window

The Casio A-2?? series produces 2500 lumen
The A-1?? series produces 2000 lumen
The BenQ produces 2000 lumen

Unless you are going to be willing to go up around $2,500 (like for the Panasonic PT RW330U @ 3500 lumen) you're not going to get better output

Has anyone here tried using one of the higher output projectors (3,000 or 3,500 lumen) as an actual projector?

Also, the quality of your screen will effect the brightness

Projectors aren't really up to giving TV quality brightness in a lighted room (yet?)
If you're going to be watching in a bright room, I suggest you go with a more conventional TV

Peace,
dave

Last edited:
If you're a picture-quality snob, like me, projectors require some pretty tight control on ambient lighting (by closing the shades) and a screen with decent gain. Projecting on the wall just won't cut it for me.

But with that said, if you're in the military or a career felon, being able to throw your television in a bug out bag may be worth the compromise. :crackup:

Last edited:
Another thing about screens. I cant decide if I want to buy a screen and hang it or get the paint. I have seen some nice work done where the wall was prepped and painted with that projector screen paint and then framed to look really clean.

daguin

Another thing about screens. I cant decide if I want to buy a screen and hang it or get the paint. I have seen some nice work done where the wall was prepped and painted with that projector screen paint and then framed to look really clean.

You cannot take a painted wall with you when you leave ;)

Peace,
dave