Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Problems with left eye

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having some symptoms from my left eye. I know you're not ophthalmologists, but I'd like your input anyway.

• the pupil in my left eye is slightly larger than in the right
  • sharp vision is poorer in my left eye
  • I feel a bit of pressure in my left eye

I have an Samsung galaxy S8 with iris authentication. The S8 has a IR light source that's used to illuminate the eye for iris recognition. I've read that some people has told about problems with their eyes when using iris authentication on the S8.

Another source of these symptoms may of course be my lasers. I don't own any particularly strong lasers, and I haven't been exposed directly to a laser beam.

As far as I understand it reflected laser light is not harmfull if we're dealing with class 3B lasers (5-500 mW).

The only thing I could think of is looking at my purple 405 nm laser fluoresce from a white sheet of paper in a dark room at close distance.

Is there any potential for eye damage in that case?

If you want to answer him more go ahead, but you are being just like these sheep. I'd answer him in PM, the only good advice is to agree, it can, and to go see a doctor. Too many HMT questions on this subject lately because he knows it always gets a flock of sheep bahhhhhh's. i doubt very much this is more than that same individual who continually posts this question under various newbie socks, but if he happens to be sincere, i've given him the only good answer we can give him, go so a doctor.

Last edited:
I'm having some symptoms from my left eye. I know you're not ophthalmologists, but I'd like your input anyway.

I have an Samsung galaxy S8 with iris authentication. The S8 has a IR light source that's used to illuminate the eye for iris recognition. I've read that some people has told about problems with their eyes when using iris authentication on the S8.

Another source of these symptoms may of course be my lasers. I don't own any particularly strong lasers, and I haven't been exposed directly to a laser beam.

As far as I understand it reflected laser light is not harmfull if we're dealing with class 3B lasers (5-500 mW).

The only thing I could think of is looking at my purple 405 nm laser fluoresce from a white sheet of paper in a dark room at close distance.

Why ask a medical question here.....:thinking:
This is not a medical Forum nor are we
medical doctors of any kind...
The answer to your question is common
sense simple....

GO SEE AN EYE DOCTOR ! ! !

you are a Systems Administrator and can't
figure that out.... :thinking:

Jerry

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter

Yes, you do still have to be careful, with anything over 5mW. White paper reflects and fluorescence can be very bright also. You need to be a lot more cautious it sounds. Also, totally agree with the others. See a eye doctor, rather than consulting us. All we'll do is state the obvious and tell you be more careful in the future.

For someone with the name 'dontblindmebro', maybe you should change it to 'dontblindmyself'. :whistle:

Last edited:
Why ask a medical question here.....:thinking:
This is not a medical Forum nor are we
medical doctors of any kind...
The answer to your question is common
sense simple....

GO SEE AN EYE DOCTOR ! ! !

you are a Systems Administrator and can't
figure that out.... :thinking:

Jerry

I stated that I know you're not eye doctors, but still you probably know a thing or two about safety and what you should or shouldn't do.

If you don't like answering these kinds of questions you should just refrain from doing so and go on to the next thread of interest.

I guess the tone of this forum is making fun of newbies who ask questions instead of helping them.

Too bad.

My only problem is the frequency of this question and that it comes from new members who only post a few posts, then throw this question out and leave. My belief is have had a help me troll yanking us around with this kind of question a good portion of the time and with the don't blind me bro member name and then waiting until your fifth post to throw this question out, you are probably trolling us once more. Just so happens, this particular subject is the one which will almost always get a response from members, hmmmm...... by choice, a trolls choice?

If you are sincere and this really happened, I already gave you the advice you wanted. If you keep posting in this thread you are certainly trolling.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
You know that we are not medical experts, but to proceeded to ask us anyway. I'm sorry but the obvious thing to do is to go and see a eye doctor about it.
As for knowing what you should and shouldn't do. We regularly tell newbies about the hazards of lasers and have multiple threads on the matter.
Also half the time we do not know whether to take these type of questions seriously.

diachi

That's a gross oversimplification. Anything >5mW is considered an eye hazard (damage can occur before your blink reflex kicks in). Damage done by reflections at >5mW depends on many factors.

There's some evidence that long term exposure to 405nm light, even at "safe" levels, may result in eye damage if you've not taken proper precautions to reduce exposure. Absorption of 405nm by the lens/cornea of your eye is quite high.

Go see an ophthalmologist.

See answers in red.

I stated that I know you're not eye doctors, but still you probably know a thing or two about safety and what you should or shouldn't do.

If you don't like answering these kinds of questions you should just refrain from doing so and go on to the next thread of interest.

I guess the tone of this forum is making fun of newbies who ask questions instead of helping them.

Too bad.

How many fingers am I holding up?

Answer: only 1 if you don't count the thumb

Rivem

Ugh. I know people like to ask us this, and Yes, some of us have an idea, but seeing an ophthalmologist is an ASAP thing if you're experiencing any vision problems. There are just too many factors that effect the eyes.

For all we know, you could be diabetic or having a ministroke.

What I can tell you is that if you do have retinal damage, the sooner you get to the doctor, the sooner they can save your vision. The retina can peel off and completely, permanently blind an eye from a small burnt point over time. Retinal damage is the major risk factor for bright lights, but its likely not the case here.

The pressure and dilation are a huge concern though. Dilation is neurologic response, so something's probably interfering with the nerves if your vision isn't mostly gone. Pressure and poor vision are symptoms of life-threatening conditions, so please, please see a doctor whether it be a GP, emergency room, or ophthalmologist doesn't matter at this point.

Edit: Top reasons for these sorts of symptoms are strokes, epilepsy, diabetes, and physical eye injury. Again, none of these are something you should wait on.

Last edited:

diachi

The pressure and dilation are a huge concern though. Dilation is neurologic response, so something's probably interfering with the nerves if your vision isn't mostly gone. Pressure and poor vision are symptoms of life-threatening conditions, so please, please see a doctor whether it be a GP, emergency room, or ophthalmologist doesn't matter at this point.

Edit: Top reasons for these sorts of symptoms are strokes, epilepsy, diabetes, and physical eye injury. Again, none of these are something you should wait on.

This^^ Good point, I glossed over the dilation.

It can be benign, but it can also be a sign of a potentially deadly medical situation.

Skip the ophthalmologist, go to the ER. They can make sure you're not in any danger, then if that's the case look into seeing an ophthalmologist.

Too bad.

Not making fun of you in the least...

If you know we are not doctors... why ask
us to diagnose you symptoms..:thinking:

The only logical reason is try to Troll us.:tsk:

A ridiculous medical Question deserves a
LARGE easily seen response...
These were your questions were they not....

BTW I did not see any Laser Safety questions
so no response was needed.

As a new member perhaps you should have
read all the LASER SAFETY related Threads
and posts all over the Forum before using
a Laser...

You have NOT done your due diligence to
protect yourself by reading about Laser
Safety...
I can see that in this sentence...

Where did you understand that from..:thinking:
definitely not on this Forum...

Basic Common Sense says don't look into an
operating Laser....

I can't possibly see why you think we can
diagnose and remedy your medical ailment..
If in fact you actually have one.

Jerry

Last edited:
He's a medical help me troll, if this really happened he would have already seen a doc and not be here bickering.

He's a medical help me troll, if this really happened he would have already seen a doc and not be here bickering.
Yeah... that's what I saw when he whined
about our genuine responses...

Jerry

Last edited:

Encap

Yeah... that's what I saw when he whined
about our genuine responses...

Jerry

Seems to be just Trolling in this an other posts as well, --just the nick and location would make anyone suspect same to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.