Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

problems with BDR-S03

two were from hightech dealz and mine was from the group buy.

hopefully yours will work, you'll know if it does or not...theres no mistaking the difference.

welp. I have good news and bad news. I was able to get my BDR-S03 to turn on and it was beautifully bright. I ramped the diode for the first time as not to shock it from 100mA to 200mA. It lived still. I then ramped it further to 300mA and it was intense. I was using a V4 flex drive and it was wired directly (ie, not through the neutral case pin but through the +/- pins). I then continued to put the electronics into my kyrton barrel. In doing so i disconnected the electronics and shorted the caps 3 or 4 times just to be safe. I then re wired the driver to the diode now in the kryton barrel but this time i ran it through the neutral case pin (negative flowing through the host itself). I completed all the soldiering and clicked the on/off button. It was extremely bright for a second and then instantly LED'd. I cant make a complete conclusion but from what i saw the only change I made was to wire the diode directly to wiring it through the neutral case pin. It did work though at 100mA, 200mA, and 300mA's but something happened when I ran it though the neutral pin.

conclusion = out $94 and really really upset. but my advice is to wire these directly (just from my experience) and to ramp them up as opposed to setting them to the intended current flow.

Edit:

I am also wondering if this could be a Flexdrive vs. BDR-S03 conflict. Someone should try a DDL driver with this new S03 and see what happens.

Last edited:

Asherz

surely just from mere common sense here they obviously don't run well at 300ma, but better at 200-250?

surely just from mere common sense here they obviously don't run well at 300ma, but better at 200-250?

no. the BDR-S03 has been tested up to 350mA with a linear trend seen in mA vs. mW. Some have gone out as low as 140mA though. It's just a garbage diode I am starting to believe.

Attachments

• example2.JPG
    example2.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 73
As mentioned in another thread, I bought two sleds to try out. One sled damaged near BR diode by some sort of acid corrosion, diode failed in slope test setup at 140mA. Other sled had physical damage near BR diode, failed when I reached 180mA. Both failed by turning into LED's. In the same test run, I also processed two 6x diodes from Glenn's GB, these worked perfectly, one is now in a brass custom host, delivering 290mW. I don't think that there was a problem with my test procedures. There are obviously a couple of good sleds mixed in with many dead and damaged ones. I got some absolutely trashed SW-AF210 sleds where the diodes were all perfect ... Hard to say what will happen when you buy sleds. I wish other members better luck than I have had with 8x sleds. I guess it's simply time for me to buy 8x burners and extract the diodes ...

Hopefully some of the sellers of these sleds will speak up with their opinions - these threads about the troubles with the diodes are strangely devoid of their input (although the selling threads still seem to be going quite strong...)

Yeah, I was considering purchasing one of these diodes, but I am sure glad I didnt as over $100 is a lot to loose. Sometimes when you buy diodes they say there is no warranty with them, but I would hope the sellers would offer some kind of goodwill gesture to their customers?

daguin

Yeah, I was considering purchasing one of these diodes, but I am sure glad I didnt as over $100 is a lot to loose.

That's just because you have never bought a $300 DVD burner just to rip the diode out of it ;)

Peace,
dave

i paid 200$ for my 203 diode :) dave ill get that s03 out tomorrow so it should be there around the time you get back.