Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Power Meter Calibration and Comparison

rkcstr

Yup, I can have it in the mail tomorrow... you want it Priority Mail as well?

BTW, diode is tested and measured (quick and dirty) ~54mW at 89.3mA with non-modified Aixiz acrylic lens on a thermal meter head with knimrod's amp. That measurement is just to give an idae of what the diode should be doing when you get it, though I can't really say how accurate the measurement was.

EDIT: Correction, ~56mW @ 89.3mA... I'm sending a different diode because I noticed a smudge on the window of the other one, so only the best for LPF :D

Zom-B

This is completely weird. I've never heard of diodes increasing in power with use, but it happened again. Last night it was 61.5mW and today (without cool down period) it measured 60.0 mW. (As a reminder, it started out as 59.3mW) I've measured the driver current to either confirm or eliminate the possibility of degrading driver parts, and the driver still drives the same current. Very strange.

Kenom

OK so I've got the heads all setup and ready to go.  Just waiting for the drivers to get here then I'll solder the drivers to the heads and adjust everything so they are set to the proper output  I've got pictures of the heads thus far.

DSC00313.jpg

DSC00314.jpg

DSC00315.jpg

DSC00316.jpg

I need the star to mount the diode in place so that it doesn't come out the top of the head as well as the plastic rings. Had I access to a lathe I'd set up a heatsink with a slightly larger diameter at the base to prevent it from slipping out the end. I've got the pins seperated with thermal silicone.

jayrob

Good looking build details there Kenom! Just curious, if you do not have a lathe, where did you get the heatsinks?
Jay

Zom-B

So the heat sink is not a tight fit and has an air gap? Wasn't the dorcy body supposed to heat sink too?

Kenom

oh it sits up against the body of the barrel pretty good. Not "tight" but it makes contact. As far as making the heatsinks, I had a machine shop turn them for me. Cost me a pretty penny to have them turned too. To buy the aluminum and turn it on a lathe would cost $5 or so. but add onto that shoptime and it works out to $30 per heatsink. But since I'm not making the dorcy's anymore I don't need the heatsinks anymore.

rkcstr

Well, you should get the driver/PSU today, tracking says it left the Billings, MT processing center today :)

That should mean that the diode will arrive tomorrow.

Hi,
Haven't been to this thread in a while, could someone just sum up whats happening (I don't fancy reading 17 pages). I've noticed my name is on the list, this is good, althugh it seems to want me to pay something. How much and who to? And I have no laserz currently, I have returned my greenie to dx and am awaiting 2 krytons from kenom.

Thanks

Kenom

No lazors?  that's not a good thing.  I don't know for sure that the krytons will be to you by the time that it gets to ya.  The reason for laser as a requirement is so taht you won't be tempted to play with the calibration lasers for anything other than testing.  So you might want to consider your participation in this.  Not saying you can't unless you aint got lazorz.

Ok I've got my two setup and they are lasing.  I'm looking at how long folks are wanting to test these things for average?  30 seconds?  1 minute?  Only reason I ask is I'm lookin for stability.  The bluray has been set to 102mw but after a minute it does increase a mw or 2.  Seems to keep increasing as well.  I'm doing some testing on stability

Attachments

• blu.jpg
    blu.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 70

Kenom

As you can see from start to end it increases steadily. Now this is only 1 minute. want to test for longer stability say like 5 minutes. it is rather warm in my house currently 80 degrees F. Takes a really long time for my house to cool down this is with a/c

Kenom

Ok dropped the power down to roughly 93mw and it's a bit more stable. I did a 4 minute test and it was pretty good.

Attachments

• blu_002.jpg
    blu_002.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 74

Kenom

Ok so here are pictures of what I've got so far. I've taken the pictures of it open so that everyone can see what is inside it and not be tempted to open it up.

Should we have it focused so that the beam is a certain size at our distance from the meter. Obviously not "focused" but say a 2mm dot.

DSC00336.jpg

DSC00337.jpg

DSC00338.jpg

Kenom

here is the red module. set to 120mw. Pretty doggone stable if i do say so myself.

Attachments

• red.jpg
    red.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 86